mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Sound Library Voices - take another look"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: April 04, 2009 @ 11:23 AM
SpongeBob
Total Posts:  1588
Joined  11-19-2006

Looking at all the new user sample-based voices being made available for the XS keyboards made me reload and audition voices from the Sound Library CD that came with the ES keyboard.  Some pretty nice stuff in there. I reloaded the S700 based samples and am enjoying their character very much. They work particularly well with the classics.

Food for thought next time you have some time at the keyboard. As our tastes and situations change over time, what you may have passed on a few years ago could be just the thing you’re looking for today.

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 04, 2009 @ 01:18 PM
dfahrner
Total Posts:  67
Joined  03-10-2009

I just got a copy of the Sound Library CD from Yamaha to go with a used ES7, and there is some good stuff there.  The horn/woodwind voices are a definite improvement over the built-in sounds; the low end of the vibraphone samples sounds just like my Deagan 1100 samples (that I’ve been working with for years); the 3-layer marimba samples are very good, etc.  Worth a second look…

df

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2009 @ 08:32 PM
TheDukester
Total Posts:  3345
Joined  01-18-2003

Good heads up,SpongeBob. Just “re-auditioned"the disc and did find some interesting Voices to use I had either overlooked or forgot about. I’ll be doing some switching up the next few days.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2009 @ 04:25 AM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

Hi guys,

When I read this post I found that I was lucky, since I have explored SoundLib CD immediately when I purchased my ES. I’ve made some collection to my User bank and use that sounds a lot, esp. sweet sounds (pan flute, trumpet, sax, etc.). But, my favourite is Live Scat, jazz mix choir, very expressive and sounds great! Lot of people, even not musicians, like it when I play it.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 08, 2009 @ 02:54 AM
jesuscares
Total Posts:  149
Joined  11-03-2005

It’s been months since I came here.So I’m not sure what you guys are talking about.Is Yamaha giving out a CD with voices to go with my old ES?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 08, 2009 @ 09:31 AM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

New Motif ES’s shipped with a “Library CD” that includes several hundred megabytes of new voices based on additional samples. This includes the S700 piano voices from the S90, the piano voices from the Motif classic as well as a wide variety of other accoustic and electronic voices. The CD also includes a variety of patterns, samples and other content.

If you purchased your ES used and did not receive this CD you should check with the person who sold it to you. If they don’t have it, you might also check with your local Yamaha distributor (see the inside back cover of the user manual) to see if they will provide you one.

Regards,

Brad Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2009 @ 06:49 PM
gabriel m
Total Posts:  128
Joined  01-28-2007

Hi Guys,

Can you actually help me with something, please?

As I also like lots of library voices on the CD that came along with my Motif ES, I would like to keep them in the User 2 section. The thing is that I don’t want my existing User 2 voices to be overwritten.

Is there any way how I can have the CD voices together with the currently existing voices in User 2? I tried to manage this in the Voice Editor software but without any joy…

I haven’t used up all the space in User 2 for my own instrument edits so I’d like to keep some voices from the CD in this “empty” part. Is that possible?

Thanks.

Gabriel

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2009 @ 05:19 PM
nbadesign
Joined  08-20-2007
gabriel m - 21 April 2009 06:49 PM

I haven’t used up all the space in User 2 for my own instrument edits so I’d like to keep some voices from the CD in this “empty” part. Is that possible?

Thanks.

Gabriel

Yes, you could load voices from the CD to the empty places in your User2 bank. But, you should use “load voice”, not “allvoice” option. This should be much easier in Voice editor, since you could use drag-n-drop with your mouse.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2009 @ 08:34 PM
gabriel m
Joined  01-28-2007

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your advice. It worked!

Now I have the CD voices together with my internal voices stored in the User 2 section.

Thanks again!

Gabriel

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2009 @ 08:47 PM
gabriel m
Joined  01-28-2007

Well, actually I’ve just noticed that some voices don’t work - voices like Yearly, Pizzy Osc, Gleam Road2Heavn. Do you know why and how I can store them just like any other instrument?

Thanks.

Gabriel

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2009 @ 03:16 AM
DaveSchuler
Total Posts:  35
Joined  02-29-2008

Just a guess off the top of my head, but they’re probably using user samples (wav files on the CD that need to be loaded to DRAM in the ES).  Have you got a DIMM installed to load them to?  If you have a Smartmedia card installed you can copy them there and set the ES up to auto-load the samples on power-up.  Maybe that works with a USB drive, too?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2009 @ 06:25 AM
nbadesign
Joined  08-20-2007
DaveSchuler - 23 April 2009 03:16 AM

Just a guess off the top of my head, but they’re probably using user samples (wav files on the CD that need to be loaded to DRAM in the ES).  Have you got a DIMM installed to load them to?  If you have a Smartmedia card installed you can copy them there and set the ES up to auto-load the samples on power-up.  Maybe that works with a USB drive, too?

Yes, you will need additional RAM memory for voices on the CD that uses samples that are not preinstalled in Motif. You could se in VoiceLst.htm file list of all voices in the library and only those mark with ‘*’ are uses preset waveforms.
Autoloading could be done fine with USB drive, but before you set it, you should go to (FILE) - [F1] CONFIG - [SF1] CURRENT and select USB. Than enter the Utility mode and call up the Auto Load display ([UTILITY] - [F1] GENERAL - [SF4] OTHER). Set “Auto Load” to on, and press the [SF5] GET button. On the left you should see USB and of course, your USB stick with autoload file in the root should be pluged in.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2009 @ 08:03 PM
gabriel m
Joined  01-28-2007

Hi Alex and all,

Many thanks for all your comments and advice. But I’m still stuck and can’t get things work the way I want.

Can you please tell me how to create a file in my Motif ES where I would have only the instruments stored in my User2 section? I don’t think I can have in the AUTOLOAD file only some instruments (like 2 or 3 from PRE1, and then other 4 from User2...) so what I want is for my Motif to recognise a file with my current User2 voices. Do you know how to do it, please? Would that then help me to create that AUTOLOAD file or do I get it all completely wrong?

The only thing that I’ve actually managed to do was to create that “all AUTOLOAD file” but then it covers lots of instruments from so many sections that I don’t want at all. After all, it take so long to load the file…

So can I specify to Motif that I want only the User2 instruments to be stored in the AUTOLOAD?

Maybe I sound too complicated but I hope you still understand what I’m after.

Thanks again!

Gabriel

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2009 @ 11:07 PM
aellison62
Total Posts:  41
Joined  03-23-2009
dfahrner - 04 April 2009 01:18 PM

I just got a copy of the Sound Library CD from Yamaha to go with a used ES7, and there is some good stuff there.  The horn/woodwind voices are a definite improvement over the built-in sounds; the low end of the vibraphone samples sounds just like my Deagan 1100 samples (that I’ve been working with for years); the 3-layer marimba samples are very good, etc.  Worth a second look…

df

Did you get this Sound library CD from Yamaha or a local dealer? I need one as well. Also, pardon my ignorance, how did you load voices onto your ES? Can they be put on a USB stick and then loaded?

Alan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2009 @ 09:25 AM
nbadesign
Joined  08-20-2007
gabriel m - 23 April 2009 08:03 PM

Can you please tell me how to create a file in my Motif ES where I would have only the instruments stored in my User2 section? I don’t think I can have in the AUTOLOAD file only some instruments

Gabriel,

AUTOLOAD file is ALL file that contains all current settings, songs, patterns, voices in your Motif before you turn it off.
Voices and settings will remain in Motif memory when you turn it off, but songs and patterns and samples are lost since they are in RAM memory of instrument.
The procedure for creating AUTOLOAD file is simple. You have your favourite voices in User banks or only User2 as in your case. Go to [File]-[F2]Save and for Type select All. You now have ALL file (extension W7A) and it should be in root of your USB. Select that file and press [F4] Rename to change its name to AUTOLOAD.
Now, when before you turn on your Motif, plug your USB stick with stored AUTOLOAD file and press power on button. Your settings (voices, etc.) will be loaded during power up, so you are ready to go. Hope that it is not difficult.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2009 @ 01:39 PM
dfahrner
Total Posts:  67
Joined  03-10-2009
aellison62 - 23 April 2009 11:07 PM

Did you get this Sound library CD from Yamaha or a local dealer? I need one as well. Also, pardon my ignorance, how did you load voices onto your ES? Can they be put on a USB stick and then loaded?

Alan

I ordered the CD from Yamaha online (for all of $6.99 plus shipping), copied the files onto a USB stick, and loaded from that…

df

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2