mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Es or Xs ??"

Page 2 of 2
Posted on: May 17, 2009 @ 11:47 PM
Dreamflight
Total Posts:  2688
Joined  03-07-2008

I have both an ES7 and an XS8. I used the ES as my main workstation for a couple of years before buying the XS, and although I now use the XS8 as the main board, I still use the ES alongside it.

With regards to the sounds, I’ve a couple of things to add.

The ES has a more ‘in your face’ sound than the XS, and when you are playing a single sound then this is quite nice to have. It certainly packs a punch, and I’ve always loved that big Yamaha sound ever since the days of the SY85 (which I also still have in the studio).

The XS sound is more detailed, however. Although individual sounds may appear thinner to the ear, when you start doing sequences and more complex arrangements, this means that you can get a lot more detail and clarity from the mix than you can with the ES. I have done a lot of projects on both, and when creating full tracks using only the onboard sequencer, the XS definitely produces better results to my ears.

I agree that a lot of the sounds are similar across the two boards, but this is more true of Voice mode than Performance mode. Voice mode covers all the basics on both - pianos, strings, keyboards, organs, brass etc etc. so I can see that a lot of ‘bread and butter’ stuff is likely to be similar on both. Performance mode is a different situation though - the XS has some truly amazing Performances that in my view are way better than any on the ES.

The XS has better piano sounds, which for me was quite important. Strangely, I differ from many in one regard, and that is that I prefer the Concert Grand XS piano preset to the 3-later S700 voice that so many others prefer. I guess it’s just my taste and suits my playing style.

That said, I really love my ES. ( See my original review of it on the sound on sound forums at http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1770&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=5&o;=&fpart=1#1770 ) which is why I kept it. If I had to choose, I’d keep the XS however.

Df.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 18, 2009 @ 02:29 AM
sciuriware
Total Posts:  9999
Joined  08-18-2003

Interesting, on the S90 we (my wife and I) prefer the Grand Piano
from the GM set above the 3-layer S700 too.

Must be in the ears.

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 18, 2009 @ 06:16 AM
Dreamflight
Joined  03-07-2008

I have an S90 also :-)

The S700 is a nice piano for sure and sounds more ‘realistic’ but I just love the way that the XS Grand responds to my playing style. In a mix the latter also cuts through better.

Df.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 18, 2009 @ 08:08 AM
sciuriware
Total Posts:  9999
Joined  08-18-2003

Of course, an XS or whatever is to come is our dream ......

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2009 @ 04:07 PM
miket156
Total Posts:  148
Joined  06-28-2004

Dreamflight:

Thanks so much for the very interesting comparison of the ES and the XS. I have owned an ES8 almost 5 years and it has served me quite well. I do all my sequencing on it and use the sampler too. I played the XS a few times at a Yamaha dealer’s retail store. The acoustic piano sound is “different” than the ES, and I like the idea that it has string resonance and you can half pedal with it. The strings are improved over the ES series, especially if you are after acoustic, rather than electronic string sounds. Your description of the XS having more clarity than the ES series is interesting. I would like to have an XS7, easier to carry around than the ES8, but, no money for gear these days. I guess I will have to wait until the next model comes out and hope that Yamaha once again improves on the previous model.

P.S. Some players have noted that the new screen is harder to read. I think the font size is actually smaller than the ES series, making it more difficult to read for us old folks. I do like the larger size and color!

Cheers,

Mike T.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2009 @ 09:55 PM
Dreamflight
Joined  03-07-2008

You’re welcome, glad to be able to provide some info you found useful. I can’t say I have a problem with either display. The ES LCD style display is broadly typical of the display found on Yamaha boards going back many years, and the XS is obviously a relatively new development.

There is more display latency on the XS display than on the ES LCD, but I find that is worth it for the extra information provided by the XS screen. Some have said that it would have been better with an adjustable viewing angle, which seems a reasonable muse to make, but ‘as is’ I find it perfectly usable.

Incidentally, if you are recording audio to an external DAW from the ES then you can get VERY good results from it. I would say that you could probably make good use of the EQ available within the ES to ‘thin’ the sounds slightly and create more space for detail in a sequencer mix too.

Without doubt the ES is a very powerful workstation and probably capable of better results than some of its users are, myself included ;-)

Df.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Can you program track volume changes?
Next Topic:

Making MIDI files from the ES* ››