mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Possible to assign the function of my FC-7?"

Posted on: April 22, 2013 @ 03:41 PM
Vizzle
Total Posts:  13
Joined  02-25-2012

Hey guys, I’ve picked up an MX61 to be a nice lightweight practice keyboard and so far I love it.

Here’s the sum of my question:

I have a Yamaha FC-7 expression pedal.  When I plug it in to the MX61, it controls the Volume by default.  I’m curious to know if I can assign it to instead control the mod wheel? i.e. to control the rotary of the organ speaker?

I was unsuccessful trying to find a solution in the manual so I hoped someone here might know!

Thanks,
Vince

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2013 @ 03:53 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I have a Yamaha FC-7 expression pedal.  When I plug it in to the MX61, it controls the Volume by default.  I’m curious to know if I can assign it to instead control the mod wheel? i.e. to control the rotary of the organ speaker?

I was unsuccessful trying to find a solution in the manual so I hoped someone here might know

You want to take a look at the MX49/MX61 REFERENCE MANUAL (page67)

Press [UTILITY]
Use the DOWN/UP CURSOR to select “CONTROLLER”
Press [ENTER]
Navigate to FC1 (Foot Controller 1) this is where the assignment for the Foot Controller is made. The default is cc011 (Expression) which is musical volume).

If you want to control the MOD WHEEL set the value to cc001
Press [STORE] to write this into your instrument’s system settings.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2013 @ 08:14 PM
Vizzle
Total Posts:  13
Joined  02-25-2012
Bad_Mister - 22 April 2013 03:53 PM

I was unsuccessful trying to find a solution in the manual so I hoped someone here might know

You want to take a look at the MX49/MX61 REFERENCE MANUAL (page67)

Press [UTILITY]
Use the DOWN/UP CURSOR to select “CONTROLLER”
Press [ENTER]
Navigate to FC1 (Foot Controller 1) this is where the assignment for the Foot Controller is made. The default is cc011 which is musical [removed]volume).

If you want to control the MOD WHEEL set the value to cc001
Press [STORE] to write this into your instrument’s system settings.

As always, you have the answers I need, Mr. C! This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 06, 2013 @ 05:52 AM
jazzmann620
Total Posts:  8
Joined  04-08-2013

Same question right now I’m using pedal wah on a sound and I’m using the fc7 set on mod wheel but i wanted to no if that’s the correct or only setting to control the pedal wah effect?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 06, 2013 @ 10:40 AM
mr5x5
Total Posts:  37
Joined  05-04-2013

Is it possible to have both functions at the same time? I mean have the FC7 for volume and another pedal that might control rotary speed on an organ voice? Maybe by just using a simple foot switch that kicks the rotary effect on or off? I realize this may be pushing my luck on an MX but I gotta ask.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2013 @ 08:29 AM
AlKal
Total Posts:  198
Joined  11-23-2004
mr5x5 - 06 June 2013 10:40 AM

Is it possible to have both functions at the same time? I mean have the FC7 for volume and another pedal that might control rotary speed on an organ voice? Maybe by just using a simple foot switch that kicks the rotary effect on or off? I realize this may be pushing my luck on an MX but I gotta ask.

Yes - in this case, you would leave FC7 alone—it controls volume by default.  Then in the Control Set for the organ voice (in Voice Edit mode), you would assign FS to the Wheel.  So now, when you press the sustain pedal, it’ll keep the rotaty on as long as you hold it down, then release it to turn it back off (it’s an off on type of deal, i.e., you can’t just speed it up half way, but works well for me for hands free operation). You’ll also want to turn off Sustain for the same organ voice, otherwise the organ sound will sustain—that can be found in the Receive Switch area in voice edit mode. This of course is not global—it will only effect the one voice being edited. You can keep using the sustain pedal as usual on all other voices. Finally, you’ll want to save the voice as a User Voice and you can use it in any performace(s) you want.  I’ve done that to about a dozen of my favorite organ voices.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2013 @ 06:34 PM
AlKal
Joined  11-23-2004
AlKal - 17 June 2013 08:29 AM
mr5x5 - 06 June 2013 10:40 AM

Yes - in this case, you would leave FC7 alone—it controls volume by default.  Then in the Control Set for the organ voice (in Voice Edit mode), you would assign FS to the Wheel.  So now, when you press the sustain pedal, it’ll keep the rotaty on as long as you hold it down, then release it to turn it back off (it’s an off on type of deal, i.e., you can’t just speed it up half way, but works well for me for hands free operation). You’ll also want to turn off Sustain for the same organ voice, otherwise the organ sound will sustain—that can be found in the Receive Switch area in voice edit mode. This of course is not global—it will only effect the one voice being edited. You can keep using the sustain pedal as usual on all other voices. Finally, you’ll want to save the voice as a User Voice and you can use it in any performace(s) you want.  I’ve done that to about a dozen of my favorite organ voices.

Sorry, I misspoke earlier on the exact actual steps – I was not in front of the board and writing from memory: There are several ways to use the Sustain pedal to control the organ rotary speaker.

The first is similar to what Bad Mister described for FC7: you go into Utility -> Controller and assign FS to MW. This works because all of the MX organs have the Mod Wheel already assigned to control the speed of the Rotary Speaker. There are pros and cons to this approach: The pro is that it’s quick and dirty and you don’t have to edit any of the individual voices, because it’s global. The con is that it is global – this means that you can’t use the sustain pedal to sustain anything any more.

The second method takes a few more steps but is specific to each voice you edit. You use Edit -> Part -> Voice Control Set -> then select any of the six available sets. For organs, the first control set already maps MW as the source and INSA:EfSpCtl as destination to control the Rotary speed. Here you could just change the source to FS (64), but if you want to still be able to use the mod wheel in addition to the sustain pedal, I would leave Ctrl Set1 alone and just use one of the other sets. I noticed that usually one of the sources is RB, the ribbon controller, and since the MX doesn’t’ have one, it’s a good candidate. So set the source as FS (64) and the Destination as INSA:EfSpCtl. Then turn the sustain off as mentioned above in Part Edit -> Receive Switch ->Sustain=Off. Then save the voice as a User Voice. Now you can use the sustain pedal (as well as the mod wheel) to control to rotary speaker, for just this voice. The sustain pedal will continue to work as usual on the other voices.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 19, 2013 @ 05:56 AM
AlKal
Joined  11-23-2004

For completeness, in method 2 above, you also need to set the Depth value: if set too low you might not hear much of an effect, or it might seem like it’s not working at all. The max of +63 worked well for me in all organs I tried.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 30, 2015 @ 10:08 AM
Ol Will
Total Posts:  6
Joined  06-28-2015

Lots of helpful info on this older thread. Hope it’s okay to ask here… I’m trying to use a homemade momentary on/off footswitch plugged into the MX-61 Foot Controller jack to always control the mod wheel when in activates rotary (as with organs). Does this input require a specific model foot switch, or can I use my homemade rig...?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 11, 2023 @ 04:51 PM
gabefromthefuture
Total Posts:  1
Joined  01-11-2023

This thread is already super helpful. I recently picked up an MX49 to use live as a secondary board. I love it so far. I would like to know if it is possible to assign different setting to the Footswitch (fc1) depending on the performance. On one song I need to use the pedal for a wah wah effect, and on others either volume or rotary. I can’t seem to figure out how to assign the effect only for the one performance without changing it for everything.

[ Ignore ]