mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Midi or SysEx message - mixing"

Posted on: May 03, 2021 @ 03:49 AM
piano-player
Total Posts:  51
Joined  02-21-2012

Hi!

I’m using the app ForScore on my iPad for my sheet music. It’s brilliant!

What’s even better is that the app can send midi and SysEx to the Moxf to change sounds etc. Such as selecting a piece of sheet music on the iPad and the Moxf will then automatically switch to an Organ sound etc.

I want to:
Send message to go to Song Mode - got that!
Send message to then select Mixing - Need help with this one!
Send message to select part within the mixing - got that!

So… any suggestions on how to select mixing when in Song mode with the help of a midi or SysEx message?

Kind regards from Sweden

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2021 @ 11:03 AM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013

Are you trying to select a Mixvoice from within song mode?

I think this can be done with bank select.....

Or do you need to perform mixing functions from within song mode?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2021 @ 03:52 AM
piano-player
Joined  02-21-2012

Hi lastmonk!

When in song mode, I need to manually push the button “mixing” before I can switch between different parts. I’d like to send a midi or SysEx message from my iPad that simulates that pushing of the mixing button.

I use mixing in live situations to seamlessly switch between the 16 different parts (sounds) when performing a tune.

My workflow is like this:
1. Choose a piece of sheet music on the iPad
2. The iPad then automatically sends messages to put the Moxf in song mode and select song number 1 (or any other song).
3. I manually press the mixing button (I’d like to have that automated)
4. We start playing a tune
5. We get to the chorus, I “click” on the ipad in the sheet music and it sends a message to the Mofx to change part.
6. We get to verse no 2, I click again on the iPad to switch to another part. Etc.

Now we’re gonna play the next tune with the band…
None of the 16 parts that are saved in song number 1 suits this next tune so I have to change to song number 2 (easily done from the iPad). I then have to press “mixing-button” manually again on the Moxf before I can start sending messages from the iPad to select parts.

Do I need to perform mixing functions from within song mode?
Not really, just choose parts!

Hope I made things more clear!

Kind regards from Sweden

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2021 @ 07:50 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
piano-player - 04 May 2021 03:52 AM

[...]I’d like to send a midi or SysEx message from my iPad that simulates that pushing of the mixing button.[...]

Unfortunately, there are no such commands available.

If you can manage with up to 15 Parts (rather than 16) per Mixing, then I have a method which you might want to try.

See…
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/479764
--- and ---
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/475656/

Mixing Job [F3]COPY > [SF1]PART, with “Current” selected, can be used to move the active Parts to a higher number by one. Of course, start with the highest-numbered first. For example, if Part 7 was initially the highest being used, start by copying it to Part 8, then copy Part 6 to Part 7, etc., until Part 1 is copied to Part 2. Be sure to STORE the edited Mixing, perhaps to a different location than the original.

The above will take some effort, especially if a Mixing uses a large number of Parts, but it’s a way of being able to automate Part selection via MIDI.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 06, 2021 @ 09:07 AM
piano-player
Joined  02-21-2012

5pinDIN - thanks!

I’ve looked at the articles before but it seems like a pain to program all those messages. I sometimes switch between 4 or 5 different parts per tune and we have about 120 tunes in our band. That’s a lot of effort to program all of that into the sheet music.

Since I already know how to select part when in mixing mode by sending messages from my iPad I’ll stick to that. Pressing the mixing button manually isn’t really that hard! I can live with it!

Kind regards from Sweden

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 06, 2021 @ 05:39 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
piano-player - 06 May 2021 09:07 AM

5pinDIN - thanks!

You’re welcome.

piano-player -

I’ve looked at the articles before but it seems like a pain to program all those messages. I sometimes switch between 4 or 5 different parts per tune and we have about 120 tunes in our band. That’s a lot of effort to program all of that into the sheet music.

Since I already know how to select part when in mixing mode by sending messages from my iPad I’ll stick to that. Pressing the mixing button manually isn’t really that hard! I can live with it!

Kind regards from Sweden

I agree - with that many songs, considerable time would be required to accomplish the task. Of course, for circumstances where full automation is necessary, the method I detailed will work.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 06, 2021 @ 07:28 PM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013

Wow 5pinDIN !  The amazing thing is that it can be done at all.  Realizing there is a lot of effort involved, but if you really need the complete automation.....  Whoaa!  Your technique is awesome!

I was getting ready to suggest a weird-back-flip-try-a-controller-arp approach LOL

Midi is a BEAST!, I can only imagine what programming 2.0 is going to bring.....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 08, 2021 @ 08:46 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
lastmonk - 06 May 2021 07:28 PM

Wow 5pinDIN !  The amazing thing is that it can be done at all.  Realizing there is a lot of effort involved, but if you really need the complete automation.....  Whoaa!  Your technique is awesome!

Thanks. I often find that, if you dig deeply enough, Motif-family models are capable of things that aren’t immediately obvious.

[ Ignore ]