mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Midi Editor Question or Mystery (Pattern Mode)"

Posted on: May 26, 2020 @ 01:50 AM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013

After doing editing in pattern mode, e.g change instruments, add tracks, delete tracks
re record some track, maybe add splits or layers.  Everything plays correctly.

But I noticed when exporting the midi that the midi file seemed to keep some of the phrase, or measures that had been deleted during the editing process.

If I play the section in pattern mode or or convert the pattern to song mode, everything sounds fine.  However, save that same section as a SMF, the SMF file definitely contains notes and edited out phrases, or measures still.

I imported the SMF into both Finale, and Cubase 5 AI and sure nuff the extra notes, measures, etc are there.

However if I play the pattern or song, the notes are not heard during playback.  BUT!!!  if I scroll through the midi editor the notes do appear as note events, but they do not make any sounds in the editor hmmm???? HMMMM?????

If I clear out the tracks and start from scratch its hard to totally duplicate, but I can duplicate some of the behavior.

Is it possible that pattern mode and song mode save changes possibly for undo or something.  And they have the ability to skip the changes when playing back the pattern or song, but some how the deleted or changed data can still be seen by the save to SMF process??

What would cause note on events to be silent (but visible) in the midi editor, and silent during playback but visible in the SMF file???

Anybody else experience anything like this???

Is the export to SMF process somehow unaware of notes, measures, that were marked for deletion?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 27, 2020 @ 09:18 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
lastmonk - 26 May 2020 01:50 AM

After doing editing in pattern mode, e.g change instruments, add tracks, delete tracks
re record some track, maybe add splits or layers.  Everything plays correctly.

But I noticed when exporting the midi that the midi file seemed to keep some of the phrase, or measures that had been deleted during the editing process.

If I play the section in pattern mode or or convert the pattern to song mode, everything sounds fine.  However, save that same section as a SMF, the SMF file definitely contains notes and edited out phrases, or measures still.

I imported the SMF into both Finale, and Cubase 5 AI and sure nuff the extra notes, measures, etc are there.

However if I play the pattern or song, the notes are not heard during playback.

The XF will only SAVE what has been STORED - any changes due to editing are ignored unless you first press [STORE]. If you didn’t STORE, then what you described (up to this point) is normal operation.

lastmonk -

BUT!!!  if I scroll through the midi editor the notes do appear as note events, but they do not make any sounds in the editor hmmm???? HMMMM?????

That wouldn’t be expected. I’ve never seen such behavior - any notes I delete do not appear in the Event List of Pattern Edit mode.

lastmonk -

If I clear out the tracks and start from scratch its hard to totally duplicate, but I can duplicate some of the behavior.

Is it possible that pattern mode and song mode save changes possibly for undo or something.  And they have the ability to skip the changes when playing back the pattern or song, but some how the deleted or changed data can still be seen by the save to SMF process??

Yes, the original unedited data is still buffered, in order to allow the Undo process.

See above about hitting [STORE] before SAVING.

lastmonk -

What would cause note on events to be silent (but visible) in the midi editor, and silent during playback but visible in the SMF file???

Anybody else experience anything like this???

I’ve never personally experienced what you’ve described. If you can duplicate this, please detail the necessary steps.

lastmonk -

Is the export to SMF process somehow unaware of notes, measures, that were marked for deletion?

See above about hitting [STORE] before SAVING.  :-)

Of course, sometimes unfortunately, once a Pattern is STORED you can’t Undo the edits. If that’s an issue, I suggest STORING the Pattern to a series of locations as editing progresses, so that you could go back to a previous stage if necessary.

[ Ignore ]