mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Newbie - need help to change the articulations and in loading additional sounds"

Posted on: November 29, 2010 @ 11:46 AM
geeash
Total Posts:  23
Joined  11-12-2010

Hi all,

Sorry if i am asking a silly question. I am a complete newbie to workstation. i have bought a motif xf6 a week back and i am still finding a way to learn it. so i am posting this question hoping some one can explain me a noob way into things in motif xf.

Ok the sounds are great and vast. i am exploring things up. I need help to change the articulations of guitar.

i see a cool guitar in Steel slide vel. when ever i increase my hitting velocity in this guitar it produces a cool slide and it is awesome.

is there a way i can incorporate the same effect in some other guitar for example saupaulo (pre 2 d04)?

can someone tell me what are the other voices which have these expanded articulations

sorry if i am asking a very basic question.....

i have downloaded inspiration in a flash content for motif. the PDF file says it is 480MB but it is only 466mb

i did put x3a and x0g file in a 4gb USB stick and stuck up
to the USB TO DEVICE slot and peseed file and selected all and then load.

the XF freezes at this point and nothing happens.

Do i need to have a flash expansion for loading this?. Can you explain me how to audition sound on USB. i desperately need a mandolin sound which s present in the download

can someone please help?

Thanks

Drashkum

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 29, 2010 @ 02:27 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The guitar “Steel Slide Vel” is actually short for Steel Slide Velocity… the “Vel” suffix is to give you a clue that the Voice will have a different articulation when an increase in velocity is articulated.

A Voice with the suffix “AF1&AF2;” - will typically have an articulation assigned to the [AF1] and [AF2] (Assignable Function) buttons located just to the left of the main Volume slider.

In order to understand how these articulations are assigned you need only look into the EDIT screens of the particular VOICE. Beginning to explore the Voice architecutre itself will help you understand how you can customize Voices yourself.

We have posted a “getting started” article on the subject of exploring the Motif XF VOICE, you will find it a good place to start:

Motif XF Tone Generator Series: Exploring A Voice in [VOICE] mode

the “Inspiration In a Flash” free banks can be loaded individually into the 128 MB SDRAM area of your Motif XF. If you want to load - and keep - everything in one hit, just get a Flash Board.

You can, if you do not have a Flash board only load using the TYPE = 1 BANK VOICE.

Say you want to load one of the banks, USR2, to your current USER 2 bank

Press [FILE]
Set TYPE = 1 bank voice
Using the RIGHT CURSOR arrow move the cursor down and highlight BANK, set it to “USR2”

Using the LEFT CURSOR arrow (twice) move the cursor up into the DIR (Directory) area, then using the DATA WHEEL or [INC/YES] buttons highlight the “InspirationInAFlash.X3A” file

Press [ENTER]
After a brief pause (the XF is cataloging the data) the file will open and show the 5 banks within the Inspiration file.
“USR 1”, “USR 2”, “USR 3”, “USR 4”, “UDR”. (USR1 is not new data, by the way)

Using the DATA WHEEL or [INC/YES] button highlight “USR 2” bank.
You are now set to take 1 bank of data from the Inspiration file and LOAD it to your internal USR2 bank.

Make sure the right side Load functions says “Load USR > USR”
Press [SF2] LOAD

This will allow you to play the Voices. Once the load is completed go to VOICE mode > [USER 2] and start going through the new data.

Without a FLASH BOARD you will not be able to load the entire 466.1MB of data at once. You can load only one BANK of them at a time.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 03, 2010 @ 10:18 AM
geeash
Joined  11-12-2010

thanks for the help. thanks a lot

i was able to get to the edit screen and in one screen there was a slide articulation for velocity between 121- 127. So that solves my problem.

Now i have a doubt in the 2nd problem If i load the USR2 data of inspiration in flash to my present USR2

will my origional data get erased?. will i be able to retrieve the original sounds in user2 after i switch off and switch on?

and one more problem.

i have accidentally erased a part demo pattern “someday”. I tried to create a pattern and accidentally recorded it to A section of someday and i tried to clear it going to JOB and clear and now the Origional section A is gone. Is there anyway i can get back the demo pattern as it is like factory unit?

Thanks a lot for the reply

Drashkum

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 03, 2010 @ 01:11 PM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010
geeash - 03 December 2010 10:18 AM

Now i have a doubt in the 2nd problem If i load the USR2 data of inspiration in flash to my present USR2

will my origional data get erased?. will i be able to retrieve the original sounds in user2 after i switch off and switch on?

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/451906

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 03, 2010 @ 01:20 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

The data that is in USER 2 when you get a new Motif XF are “placeholder” Voices, they are repeated elsewhere in the Motif XF. Same is true of USER 3 and USER 4.

Only the USER 1 VOICE bank has unique data. In other words, the VOICE located at USER 2: 001(A01) Everlasting Glory is found at PRE 7:101(G05). In fact every Voice in USER 2, 3 and 4 appears elsewhere in the PRESET Voice banks… so feel free to overwrite these VOICE locations as you require.

VOICES are made up of parameters, that when STORED remain in memory even after you power off and back on. What disappears is any audio samples that get loaded to SDRAM. SDRAM is volatile. So if a VOICE uses samples that are loaded to SDRAM, the VOICE parameters will remain but the source WAVEFORM data will be gone.

In every musical instrument you have the body of the instrument and you have the object that actually vibrates. So imagine a Saxophone (a real saxophone). The Voice parameters define the size, the shape, the materials that make up that saxophone… the Waveform and Samples make up the reed (the actual source of the vibration). So in a case where the samples are in SDRAM, if you power down, and back up… the parameters that define the saxophone will be there but what is missing is the reed. So you can see the name, the Filters, the amplitude generator, the effects, etc., etc., etc., but you will not be able to hear it because the saxophone has no reed!

Hope that analogy helps.

have accidentally erased a part demo pattern “someday”. I tried to create a pattern and accidentally recorded it to A section of someday and i tried to clear it going to JOB and clear and now the Origional section A is gone. Is there anyway i can get back the demo pattern as it is like factory unit?

If you enjoyed the demos - erase them. They are only there to give you an idea of how the unit works. Pattern mode is made up of musical Sections, each containing a portion of the composition. You can CHAIN the Sections in a specific play order to construct a song.

The DEMOS both SONG and PATTERN can be cleared out by using the [JOB] > [F6] > Job: CLEAR SONG /CLEAR PATTERN > set the target to “All”

You can restore the Demos as follows;
press [FILE] + [UTILITY] together
LOAD TYPE = ALL, SONG, PATTERN
If you just want to restore the PATTERNS, set the LOAD TYPE = PATTERN > Press [ENTER] - This will overwrite all PATTERN data with the factory demo Patterns.

Alternatively you can reset the entire Motif XF by executing a FACTORY SET:
Press [UTILITY]
Press [JOB]
Press [ENTER]
Press [INC/YES]

This will reset all UTILITY mode settings, and reload the factory demos, returning the unit to factory status. When you go to this Factory Set Job, you will see an option to restore USR1 Voices A01 through H16 and the first 8 UDR (User Drum Kits) these are the unique data locations for USER VOICE mode. The way this option works is as follows:

It is always checked. If you opt to check ALL, quite naturally USER 1 and the 8 new Drum Kits will be restored along with all USER bank Voices. If you uncheck the ALL box, just the 128 locations of USER 1 and the first 8 Drum kits will be returned.

The bottom options “POWER ON AUTO FACTORY SET” should be left unchecked at all times!!! This is for use by retail stores and the XF when shown at trade shows.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 03, 2010 @ 05:50 PM
geeash
Joined  11-12-2010

Wow that reply was pretty quick and detailed and useful. Thanks a lot.

One more question

in the demo video in youtube i saw bert smornberg using voices called “private fountainp6” and performance “strangermoscow”. i searched my motif for these sounds but i am not able to find it.

is it missing from my keyboard? or these are additional sounds/ performances? i want these sounds

Thanks a lot bad_mister (Phil Clendennin) You have turned this site into a virtual online 24hours support forum. it is just a great boon for newbies to workstation like me. There are many a things that cannot be explained in detail in manual. and people like you who know in and out about motif xf and sharing the knowledge is a great boon for us

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 05, 2010 @ 12:21 PM
geeash
Joined  11-12-2010

in the demo video in youtube i saw bert smornberg using voices called “private fountainp6” and performance “strangermoscow”. i searched my motif for these sounds but i am not able to find it.

is it missing from my keyboard? or these are additional sounds/ performances? i want these sounds

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 05, 2010 @ 01:42 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

The USER Voice banks and the Performance banks (which are all “user” locations) are where you can be creative and create your own VOICEs and PERFORMANCES. If you do not find a particular program in your Motif XF it may well be a personal one of Bert’s - you’ll need to ask him or better yet - create your own!

[ Ignore ]