mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Newbie Keyboard Selection Advice"

Posted on: December 01, 2010 @ 02:06 PM
Jeff_Calla
Total Posts:  1
Joined  12-01-2010

Greetings,

I am a beginning piano student and am looking for a keyboard with MIDI capabilities that would be used primarily when traveling.

From the poking around that I have done, it seems that one can only get a piano-type action by going to 88 Keys even though “most” piano compositions do not use 88 keys.

However, it is my understanding that 88 key keyboards are not “portable” in the sense that they can be handled by only one person.

I am considering the Motif series due to their sound, overall build quality, as well as enabling one to “grow” in an electronic/computer interfaced musical direction.

I recognize that the Motif series is getting into Cadillac level, but don’t want to buy a cheap toy.

Any advice is appreciated.

Sincerely,

JC AKA “Confused Newbie”

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 01, 2010 @ 05:16 PM
rajaman
Total Posts:  39
Joined  02-15-2009

Confused Newbie,

Recently I was sort of in the same boat as you.  That is, I liked the 88 keys but not the weight of such a board.  I realized that, not being a “gigging” musician, I chose the Motif XF8. I couldn’t resist the feel of the balanced hammer keys. Plus, I play a lot of jazz and the extra keys do come in handy. If you plan to take your keyboard on the road, I’d recommend an XF7 (or an XF6 if you can get by with only 61 keys).

I would go for the XF7(except the cost of the XF7 over the XF6 is somewhat ridiculous). I also have a Fantom-G6 but the sounds are not nearly as realistic as those on the Motif. As a matter of fact, I haven’t TOUCHED the Fantom-G6 since I got the XF8. The Motif boards also have performances to help jump start you creatively, if you’re into composing that way. 

Another thing to consider is the support you get from Yamaha (i.e. this forum).  There are guys here that are more than willing to help you learn and navigate the Motif. And these guys are g-o-o-d! Believe me, you WILL need help from time to time as these boards have a somewhat steep learning curve.  Don’t overlook the support aspect of whichever keyboard you get; it’s invaluable.  Just check out the Roland forums and you’ll see the difference! 

rajaman

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 01, 2010 @ 06:26 PM
zikerstu
Total Posts:  326
Joined  08-06-2008

If you don’t plan on playing gigs than definately go with the 88 key version. If you only plan on using one keyboard to play shows with then perhaps lugging the full size board won’t be too bad but make sure you get a very durable high quality case with caster wheels on it so you can roll it along. (And a big enough vehicle to transport it!)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 01, 2010 @ 08:16 PM
chilly
Total Posts:  738
Joined  05-05-2008
Jeff_Calla - 01 December 2010 02:06 PM

Greetings,

I am a beginning piano student and am looking for a keyboard with MIDI capabilities that would be used primarily when traveling.

From the poking around that I have done, it seems that one can only get a piano-type action by going to 88 Keys even though “most” piano compositions do not use 88 keys.

However, it is my understanding that 88 key keyboards are not “portable” in the sense that they can be handled by only one person.

I am considering the Motif series due to their sound, overall build quality, as well as enabling one to “grow” in an electronic/computer interfaced musical direction.

I recognize that the Motif series is getting into Cadillac level, but don’t want to buy a cheap toy.

Any advice is appreciated.

Sincerely,

JC AKA “Confused Newbie”

At my opinion u can take a look at Yamaha S 70 XS, it has weithgted keyboard with 76 keys and it has midi capebilities, also there is a Korg SV-1 73 with 73 keys piano keys

how ever if u primiray conserns is piano and also not weith is not ur concern.

I would look at Yamaha CP-1, it has 2 different piano wich vere sampled at 4 velocity levels. and also t has a bunch of electric pianos http://www.yamahasynth.com/products/stage_pianos/cp1/

But i would buy Roland V piano, it has nothing but piano sound, but i guess it is spesctaculas and it will blow awry digital piano because it uses some kind of Phisical modeling technology and u can alter differnt parts of the piano and get different quality of the sound while on yamaha CP1 u are pretty stack with 1 sound of each of two pianos..... http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=978&ParentId=87

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 02, 2010 @ 12:37 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I would look at Yamaha CP-1, it has 2 different piano wich vere sampled at 4 velocity levels. and also t has a bunch of electric pianos

The CP1 does not use velocity crossfades at all… not even close. There is no velocity swapping in the CP1 - that is the whole thing about SCM technology, that it DOES NOT use velocity swapping!!!

You can read about it here: PDF of the CP1 Brochure

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 02, 2010 @ 02:07 AM
chilly
Total Posts:  738
Joined  05-05-2008
Bad_Mister - 02 December 2010 12:37 AM

I would look at Yamaha CP-1, it has 2 different piano wich vere sampled at 4 velocity levels. and also t has a bunch of electric pianos

The CP1 does not use velocity crossfades at all… not even close. There is no velocity swapping in the CP1 - that is the whole thing about SCM technology, that it DOES NOT use velocity swapping!!!

You can read about it here: PDF of the CP1 Brochure

Thank U Bad Mister.

Maby i was unclear,

According to my knowladge it uses sample base technology.
Each note was sampled at 4 velocity levels or 3 velocity levels , cannot say for shure

But SCM technology jast eluminate that switching betwen samples like u have on conventional keyboards....
and also alow to alter hardness of piano hammers

p.s. Well, i did not seid that CP 1 is worse the Roland V Piano.

I guess it is realy good sounding digital piano and S700 and CFIIIS sound really well in it.  and also it has realy nice sounding electric pianos....

but if to speak about my personal preferens, i am a guy who likes to twick and shape all sounds exectly the way i want and Roland V piano is not perfect but it offers some kind of phisical modeling were i can alter some parts of pianos to alter sound quality thet is realy nice…

Best Regars

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 02, 2010 @ 10:50 AM
greedo
Total Posts:  48
Joined  11-23-2010

I have the XF8 and im gigging :)
It’s not THAT heavy. Just use a good case with wheeles.
I really love to play with 88 keys at gigs.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 02, 2010 @ 11:29 AM
EMANALPHA
Total Posts:  117
Joined  01-11-2008

since you are new i would advise you on the cp series or the s70xs they both have weighted action to give you the realistic fell of a piano. The sounds are awesome on the s70xs the s6 piano is spectacular!!!!!!

[ Ignore ]