mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Get a Motif XF or a Tyros 4?"

Posted on: September 17, 2010 @ 02:17 PM
Hayang
Total Posts:  8
Joined  09-25-2009

So I’m pretty torn on what to get.  The Tyros 4 orchestral patches sound AMAZING,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT0ptCM4iro&feature=player_embedded#!
I mean man, those strings...*shiver* and the choirs are a nice plus.  I heard the tone generator of the Tyros 4 is new.

So, what are the MAIN differences, and the pros/cons that each have compared to the other?  I have a few preconceptions but I own neither of them.

I want to make orchestral music, acoustic instrumentals with singing, as well as hip hop and dance music.  I would like a nice hardware sequencer, and I would like to have the freedom of making my own music from scratch.

Does the Motif kill the Tyros in its freedom or sequencing ability, maybe in its effects?  Does the Tyros kill the Motif’s acoustic sounds?  Does the Motif have better synth sounds or drum kits?

Also I’d imagine the Tyros will be like $5000+ when it comes out, is this a good estimate?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 17, 2010 @ 02:27 PM
shakil
Total Posts:  102
Joined  11-28-2002

If the sequencer on Tyros 4 is still like the PSR2000, then I wouldn’t buy Tyros 4, if you really want a workstation to edit record and edit songs.

If you just want to perform live as a solo act, then Tyros 4 is better option.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 17, 2010 @ 02:31 PM
Hayang
Joined  09-25-2009

I want to make recorded songs.  I do agree that the tyros4 probably is better for solo and song.

IF ONLY IT HAD A 88 KEY WEIGHTED KEYBOARD :(

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 17, 2010 @ 03:52 PM
bengertje
Total Posts:  155
Joined  09-15-2009

Really nice music and strings in this video. But this not only the quality of a good stringsound from the Tyros, but also the excellent programming from this guy.

I you buy a good orchestral voice library for XS (like Symphonic Suite) and take time to program the same song (and maybe editing some voices), I would say it also sound as realistic as this beautiful strings.

You can do a lot with Motif Xs and a great voice bank (like Signature Piano and Symphonic Suite). The sounds are much much better as the presets.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 18, 2010 @ 04:01 AM
drpopper1
Total Posts:  57
Joined  08-22-2010

Tyros 4 has the SAME tone generator as the XS/XF/Tyros3

I don’t know where this misinformation comes from ...

I own a Tyros 3 .... never use it… gave it to the kids to play with.

It just makes me feel .... OLD.

I wonder why? LOL

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 19, 2010 @ 03:12 AM
foleycore7
Total Posts:  33
Joined  02-28-2009

Errr right....guess your buying a XF then ROFL

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 19, 2010 @ 05:49 AM
bsmart
Total Posts:  225
Joined  01-12-2005

Well, Foleycore, good luck at “making it to the charts” with the same styles that only a few hundred thousand people in Europe alone will also have on their Tyros 4s. I’m sure that your ballroom and big band swing remixes will be the sh_t. *laugh*

You do know that, on the Tyros 4, you won’t be sampling and chopping up samples? You do know that on the Tyros 4 you won’t have a pattern sequencer at all? You do know that on the Tyros 4 you’ll have less effects power, less control when creating your own voices, no multichannel Firewire audio interface, no multitrack sampling features for the sequencer, and many others?

Its styles sound good because it basically plays everything for you. So, instead of learning how to play, and learning how to control the articulations that you use via the XF’s AF buttons, you’re basically holding down keys and listening while the expert prerecorded performance of a Yamaha musician plays for you? That’s great for throwing song demos together in a hurry, but you’re going to sound just like everyone else with a Tyros.. All of your songs will also have that ultra-clean smoov jazz mix that is common to Yamaha workstations by default. At least on the Motifs you can tweak voices and the mix to sound a bit rougher, but I’m pretty sure that most of that is part of the style on the Tyros.

Hey, if you’re playing backing music at weddings and such, people won’t care. But “the charts”? If you mean the Pop charts, then you should turn on the radio once in a while. Nothing on them sound like a Tyros. Depending on how you feel about music, that can either be a good or a bad thing. The fact stands, though, that the Tyros isn’t for creating cutting edge contemporary music. The Tyros is designed so that one keyboard player can play live and sound as if they have a fair quality backing band along with them. It isn’t designed at all for allowing you to drill in to every aspect of the music for detailed editing. That is what a music production synth, like the Motif is designed to do.

I do wish that the newest voices could come out on the Motif first, instead of the mega PSR Tyros, but people pay mor money for a Tyros than a Motif, so the Tyros pays for the development of voices that the earnings from Motif couldn’t support. It’s like how the digital pianos pay for the development of some of the Motif effects.

Anyway, Tyros is for preset voice and music that can be spit out in short order. Motif is for having control of every aspect of the music, from sample to MIDI event.

If you buy a Tyros, though, I might have to sign up to their forums for a little while to hear you post over there. You’ll be so upset that it is missing Motif features.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 19, 2010 @ 09:02 AM
alejandro
Total Posts:  162
Joined  09-26-2006

If you already own a Motif, how easy it is to control Tyros 4 voices?

I mean, for example in Motif pattern mode, can you control Super Articulation 2 voices from Tyros 4 seamlessly?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 19, 2010 @ 06:17 PM
dereknae
Total Posts:  485
Joined  03-16-2009

Two different boards!!!!! I own an xs and won’t be upgrading to xf..But,my wife is gonna get me that new tyros4…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 20, 2010 @ 03:13 PM
lordbachus
Total Posts:  85
Joined  08-28-2009

Well atleast T4 had some really need hardware upgrades
-vocoder
-processor
-Flash ram
Its an instrument tailored to replay music others wrote straight from the box with a clean CD like sound.

But if you want to make your own music rock and really make your own sound then i’d go Motif in combination with VST’s…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2010 @ 02:11 PM
SnowThief
Joined  11-20-2010

…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2010 @ 02:37 AM
Melodialworks
Total Posts:  157
Joined  06-13-2009
bsmart - 19 September 2010 05:49 AM

Well, Foleycore, good luck at “making it to the charts” with the same styles that only a few hundred thousand people in Europe alone will also have on their Tyros 4s.

A “few hundred thousand people”?  Who knew?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2010 @ 09:50 AM
Faethon
Total Posts:  40
Joined  12-31-2009

Well, Yamaha should make a Tyros 4 Rack, so those who own a previous Tyros or a Psr keyboard, can buy this rack only for the sounds.And i don’t think that they can’t do it because that way they would lose money from the tyros 4 they could sell but some people wouldn’t buy tyros 4 because they could get it’s sounds on a rack version.
I mean,come on now,i will never buy a Tyros 4 or a Psr keyboard because i already have Psr 1000 and Psr 2100.But i would buy a Tyros 4 rack just to get the sounds of it.

And something else.Some of you said that in Tyros 4 isn’t possible to create patterns.Isn’t there a style creator and a multipad creator on the tyros 4? If there is,then why can’t you make patterns?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 22, 2010 @ 06:18 PM
travis6509
Total Posts:  33
Joined  10-27-2010

I like Tyros’s vocoder/harmonizing thing. 

I wish Motif had this…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpdwccVgccA

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 30, 2010 @ 03:15 PM
davlippo7
Total Posts:  252
Joined  10-06-2010

I own the Tyros 4 but I haven’t tried to arrange my own song. The tracks of the sequencer, as I understand it, are pre-defined and assigned to specific buttons for triggering during a live performance. You can create your original intros 1-3 and endings 1-3 and fill-in on the (4) multi-pads. The base and drums are pre-assigned to specific tracks and then percussion can be on another track. You have complete control in real time to trigger the recorded track to begin playing say if you decide to repeat a verse or add a fill-in, end the song early or begin a reprise. The Tyros is definitely for real time performances and of course you should be playing the melody, chords etc. for the bulk of the body of the performance although you could sequence it all too just like for a demo track. The “style” is similar to the “multi” setup on the Motif except you are more limited to where you can put song parts. I would describe the Tyros as a “grab bag” of existing songs vs the Motif as a “scratch pad” for custom song creation. Your Motif would be more adaptable for a pre-arranged set of original songs for an on stage concert performance whereas the Tyros is more poised for a long string of spontaneous requests for popular songs of the ‘70s & ‘80s. The tyros wave rom is more focused on simulating a live band with real horns that can’t be distinguishable from the real thing. Therefore, acoustically, it sounds much better and has more custom control over nuance than the Motif. The Motif is more focused on pitching an song idea to a record label and doesn’t require acoustic perfection because the Mofit violin will be replaced with a real violinist if the song gets produced.

[ Ignore ]