mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Direct to digital audio recording within the XF8?"

Posted on: November 28, 2010 @ 05:54 PM
cr@zyJammin
Total Posts:  6
Joined  11-28-2010

Hi, this is my first post on this message board - I’m considering getting a Motif XF8.
One of the things I want out of the XF8 is to record on the fly without being hooked up to a computer.  I understand the sequencer will allow me to record up to 130,000 notes, effectively recording MIDI and PRG change data, etc.  But what I am not clear on is whether I can DIRECTLY record digital audio into the XF8, on the fly, in real time, perhaps as a .wav file.

It would be great if the 128MB internal RAM, portable USB flash drive, or 1G Flash boards could be used for this purpose.  Iit would be ideal if the 1G Flash boards could be used as such for then I would be able to jam and record for quite some time - perhaps an hour or two . . .

Does the XF8 have such capability?

TIA

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2010 @ 06:56 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

Yes, you can record a fairly lengthy audio file on the XF if you have
a flashboard installed.

But here’s the real deal -

The XF is not an audio recorder. It “can” record audio, but seriously,
you really need either a hardware audio recorder (a simple USB recorder
like the Yamaha Pocketrax is ideal for “quick jams") or go to a computer
and DAW (Cubase, Pro Tools, Digital Performer) for recording audio.

In the “real world” of album recording, it is all done on the computer
in a DAW. Trust me, that is the reality of it. A synth like the Motif
is normally used as a sound source and a controller. The sequencing is all done within the DAW. Every track is recorded as audio once it is programmed in MIDI, or, it is recorded as audio conventionally (in other
words, a guitarist or bassist or trumpet player is recorded in real time).

I’ve spent 30 plus years in Los Angeles and have worked in many recording studios, and have been “in” all the major ones, plus I know a lot of professional recordists with home studios. It’s all computer-based. Even if someone records onto an old-school tape machine, the results always end up in a computer. Frankly, it is impossible to produce an album without a computer somewhere in the chain.

If you are on this forum, then you have a computer. I think when people
say “I want to do it all on the Motif”, they are really saying they’re
either limited by budget to purchase all the components of a computer
recording setup, or they’re just bewildered by how to set up a computer
recording system.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2010 @ 07:35 PM
cr@zyJammin
Joined  11-28-2010

Thanks Dave.  I am very familiar with using a DAW, having used Logic on the Mac platform for many years.  I know I need the computer to ultimately process my MIDI/audio tracks.  I was simply wondering how much I could rely on the XF8 as a quick sketch pad, without having to turn on the DAW.

You say I can record a fairly lengthy audio file if I have a flashboard installed.  So, to further clarify, I CAN record directly to either a 1G installed flashboard, OR a removable USB thumbdrive, as well as directly to Logic on the computer?

I wouldn’t be using the 1G flashboard to upload samples, I would be using it as a sketchpad, if this is possible.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2010 @ 07:57 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

You cannot record directly to a FLASH board. Data that is recorded to the XF’s internal SDRAM can be copied to Flash. The Motif XF internal memory has a limit of 6 minutes and 20 seconds of record time for a single continuous recording. 128MB of SDRAM can be recorded to directly. The longest single continuous recording to internal SDRAM is 64MB (or 6 minutes and 20 seconds). The data can then be COPIED to FLASH.

Alternatively, you can record directly to a USB drive connected to the “To Device” port on the XS back panel… (or directly to your computer via a Ethernet connection).

This type of recording creates a stereo 44.1kHz, 16-bit .wav file, both the A/D INPUT and the FW Inputs are “live” inputs - which also can be routed directly to the USB stick. The maximum continuous record time here is 74 minutes. That’s an hour and 14 minutes.

The Motif XF mixer has 16 internal PARTS, and A/D PART and a Firewire Input PART - all of these are available as “live” sources to be mixed and recorded direct to the USB stick connected to the “To Device” port or directly to your computer via Ethernet. This is now very simple and is a compelling feature.

With 128MB on board, you can now get creative, and use the Integrated Sampling Sequencer, record your vocals, add an acoustic guitar, build it around a sample loop, whatever. Basically build up your audio recordings as you desire then transfer it all to Flash.

Then when you setup to direct Record to USB/Ethernet you have a more “produced” composition!!!!

Seems as though this maybe a good topic for a Power User.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 29, 2010 @ 12:17 AM
cr@zyJammin
Joined  11-28-2010

Thank you sir.  Exactly the info I was looking for.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 29, 2010 @ 03:20 AM
drewby
Total Posts:  13
Joined  11-29-2010

Can you record in stereo to a track?  Mine always records in stereo but plays in mono.  Maybe each track can only have a mono sample?  I tried to work around it by copying the track and panning them both L & R 100%.  Just wondering?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 29, 2010 @ 10:32 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Can you record in stereo to a track?  Mine always records in stereo but plays in mono.  Maybe each track can only have a mono sample?  I tried to work around it by copying the track and panning them both L & R 100%.  Just wondering?

You are hijacking this thread - and it is not at all clear what you are talking about - are you asking about recording in stereo to the Integrated Sampling Sequencer or are you talking about recording in stereo to the direct to USB RECORD function?

In either case the answer is Yes, you can record in stereo. What are you recording, you also don’t say. Try again and consider opening your own thread. Thanks.

[ Ignore ]