mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Recording External Midi Device in Motif XF"

Posted on: November 23, 2010 @ 08:31 AM
Effenix
Total Posts:  31
Joined  11-23-2010

Last week I bought the Motif XF and was reading the manual.

Normally I would record things in Logic 9 but I was wondering if it is possible to recorder external midi device in the sequencer of the motif?

I have a Yamaha Piano as well and for example if I am playing it and get an idea and I don’t want to start up logic. Is it possible to record the midi track from the piano into the Motif?

I was looking in the manual and on Internet but can’t find the answer.

Does anyone know?

Regards Effie

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 23, 2010 @ 09:44 AM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

Effenix - 23 November 2010 08:31 AM

Last week I bought the Motif XF and was reading the manual.

Normally I would record things in Logic 9 but I was wondering if it is possible to recorder external midi device in the sequencer of the motif?

I have a Yamaha Piano as well and for example if I am playing it and get an idea and I don’t want to start up logic. Is it possible to record the midi track from the piano into the Motif?

I was looking in the manual and on Internet but can’t find the answer.

Does anyone know?

Regards Effie

Just connect your Piano to the Motif via 5-pin MIDI cable (OUT on Piano to the IN on Motif). Then select on Motif (Utility mode, MIDI settings, [SF2] MIDI) MIDI as your MIDI interface (not USB or firewire).
Now in song mode go to the track that correspond to the MIDI channel on your Piano. In most cases it would be channel 1 and track 1, but you should check MIDI settings on your Piano and Basic receive channel on Motif (it is set to 1 by default).
Start recording on channel 1 and play your Piano. If you want to hear later your recordings on Piano, than you should connect MIDI Out on Motif to MIDI In on Piano and disable Internal Switch on track 1 to avoid hearing both Motif and Piano sound (Song mode, Track Channel Settings—[SF1] Out (Output Channel).

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 23, 2010 @ 09:12 PM
Effenix
Joined  11-23-2010

Thxs Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2010 @ 02:37 PM
Effenix
Joined  11-23-2010

I tried the things Alex describe and I can seem to get it work.

I have a CP1 through a Patchbay connected to the motif. If I select a voice or performance on the motif and i start playing the CP1 I can hear the CP1 and the Motif. So that is working.

Now I switch to song mode and press record and play. If I start playing the Motif the recording starts and everything is going the way I want it.

But if I press record and play and start playing on the CP1 then it is not starting the recording and that is what I would like.

Anyone have any suggestion?

Regards Effie

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2010 @ 05:20 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I have a CP1 through a Patchbase connected to the motif.

I’m not sure what that means… perhaps you mean “patchbay” - but even if that is the case, I’m still not sure what that means.

If I select a voice or performance on the motif and i start playing the CP1 I can hear the CP1 and the Motif. So that is working.

We assum you are connected with a standard MIDI cable… is that the case?

Now I switch to song mode and press record and play. If I start playing the Motif the recording starts and everything is going the way I want it.
But if I press record and play and start playing on the CP1 then it is not starting the recording and that is what I would like.

Again this is a little confusing. Because you have not told us other than the “patchbay” ??? how you are connected between the CP1 and the Motif XF

On the Motif XF:
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F5] CONTROL
Press [SF2] MIDI
Set the MIDI IN/OUT = MIDI

On the CP1:
Press [UTILITY]
Press [PAGE >] to screen 4

Connect the MIDI OUT of the CP1 to the MIDI IN of the Motif XF.
Now you can play on the CP1 and record data into the Motif XF sequencer. You must START the sequencer with a count-in.

If you are talking about the “KEY ON START SWITCH” this will only work when touching the keys of the Motif XF. This feature allows recording to begin when a KEY (on the XF) is touched. It does not work for an external key, just the XF keys.

Hope that helps

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2010 @ 08:00 PM
Effenix
Joined  11-23-2010
Bad_Mister - 28 November 2010 05:20 PM

I’m not sure what that means… perhaps you mean “patchbay” - but even if that is the case, I’m still not sure what that means.

Yes I means patchbay. Just a device that let you connect midi equipment not direct through midi in, out or through but via a switchable patchbay.

We assum you are connected with a standard MIDI cable… is that the case?

Yes. Otherwise is was not possible to play on the CP1 keyboard and use the sound of the Motif.

Again this is a little confusing. Because you have not told us other than the “patchbay” ??? how you are connected between the CP1 and the Motif XF

Yes, See the answer above.

On the Motif XF:
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F5] CONTROL
Press [SF2] MIDI

On the CP1:
Press [UTILITY]
Press [PAGE >] to screen 4

Did all that. Still was not working but.........

If you are talking about the “KEY ON START SWITCH” this will only work when touching the keys of the Motif XF. This feature allows recording to begin when a KEY (on the XF) is touched. It does not work for an external key, just the XF keys.
Hope that helps

Yes that was the problem. I was assuming that I was a “note on” that was starting the sequencer. So I could start it just by playing on the CP1. I was wrong assuming that.

So thanks for helping me out. :)

Sorry for my bad English

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Tap Tempo Again
Next Topic:

Is it possible to use the Motif XF as a multi timbral synth? ››