mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Popularity Index"

Posted on: June 16, 2009 @ 07:22 AM
J Boz
Total Posts:  529
Joined  02-17-2009

i found this interesting. which software do you use ? i am a little surprised at Propellerheads Reason.

http://www.digitalmusicdoctor.com/press/music_software_popularity_2009Q1.htm

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 16, 2009 @ 08:31 AM
jan bruijn
Total Posts:  4952
Joined  04-30-2005

KylB,

I am not suprised at all about the low ranking of propeller head’s REASON 4. I have Reason 4 for many years now and only tried it one time, to discover that the voices I want to use were not in the library. LOL. So you have to buy additional libraries before you even started with that program.

Second I found it way to complex to use it. Connecting to my XS was and is a crime. Using the modules was a crime too.

Reason 4. Waste of money. LOL. As many sound libraries software.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 16, 2009 @ 08:56 AM
J Boz
Joined  02-17-2009

actually i have Reason also. i’ve had it since Reason 1. to me it is very simple to use, plugged up to my Mo Classic. i have numerous other wav files that i got from Computer Music magazine (a free dvd every month) and a lot of drum kits off the internet for free. LOL you can also get refills for Reason. a lot of hip hop guys use Reason as well as some rock and drum-n-bass guys.
actually i use Fruity Loops 8 and Reason most of the time for my songs. i very seldom do songs on my motif. the few i do i post them here.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2009 @ 04:58 AM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

KylB,

I know. I am a dummy with respect to this kind of software. With Reason or Garritan, or EWQL or whatever, it takes me to much time to get results from those programs.It kills my inspiration when I have to study the software and search for voices and later to adjust the effect on each voice before I actually can play it.

With hardware, like Synthesizers as the XS or TYROS you have not that kind of problem. LOL.

Ofcourse it just does not work for me, but I am sure it works for a lot of other people.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2009 @ 07:07 AM
J Boz
Joined  02-17-2009

i understand that. i’ve tried a few other programs and they dont’ work for me. i give up out of frustration. i just watch a lot of youtube videos on the software....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 18, 2009 @ 04:28 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Reason’s popularity is so low because it doesn’t record audio.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 19, 2009 @ 09:02 AM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

Meatbal.

Good point. That might be the REASON.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 22, 2009 @ 07:14 AM
J Boz
Joined  02-17-2009

that’s not the REASON. i think it’s a certain genre of people that use it as compared to others. 
REASON takes a certain kind of artist to understand it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 23, 2009 @ 07:10 AM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

KylB,

Can you explain that in more detail, please.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 23, 2009 @ 07:23 AM
J Boz
Joined  02-17-2009

jan, it’s simple. a lot of young producers lack the expertise that a lot of old timers have. along comes a program like Reason (and Fruity Loops) and poof, they’re a producer. with Reason all it takes is a computer (you can use the computers soundcard if you don’t have money for a good one) and a little knowledge of beats and sounds. a lot of rap guys use Reason and some rock, drum-n-bass and even trance guys.
in the end they may end up using a program like Pro Tools for vocals and final mix.
if you look on http://www.youtuube.com there are a million tracks by guys who probably have less than 3-4 years experience making tracks. they can’t even tell you the notes in a C scale...LOL
as programming becomes less complicated for some genres, you will see a lot more guys making tracks and making money. most will disagree that it’s not music, but the bottom line is money.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 23, 2009 @ 09:15 AM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

Oh. I see.

Sometime ago some dude gave me that Magix Music software program and I was very surprised about that program. It was adding together loops or samples of music put in blocks, exactly on the beat, or off beat if you want it. Simply by moving those blocks with music phrases.

Let say, some kind of sequencer with blocks of music phrases. LOL.

Later I bought that Steinberg Sequel 2 program, just for curiosity and you know KylB, it works the same as that Magix Music program. Blocks of sampled music.

I ask you, KylB, what has that in common with making and creating music. LOL. Oh well, its a form of assembling music.

In that respect REASON is totally different, or am I wrong?

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 24, 2009 @ 08:27 AM
J Boz
Joined  02-17-2009

with Reason you have to create your own loops or samples using the different modules like synths and drum machines. it also requires that you have some hardware knowledge like using eq’s. compressors, delays, reverb, etc.
basically, Reason is like having all the hardware of a big studio and it’s up to you to create something. most people are not patient enough they just want to play and/or sing. they seek out what is easiest for them.
i’m not trying to sell you on Reason but i’ve never been a person who just sits back and learns one thing. to really be a good so-called producer requires you to learn a lot about programming as well as software/hardware. 
if you got a phone call today to create any kind of music for money could you do it ?
if someone said come over to my studio and make me some music for money using my software could you do it ?

my answer would be yes !!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 24, 2009 @ 09:07 AM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

My fault that you misunderstood me. For the record I have used reason 4 for a while, direct from the box. AS it is or was. After installing REASON the first thing I tried, after setting up the software hardware of REASON I choose NN19 I think and choose a instrument categorie. Wrong choice because there were no voices available in that categorie. So I have to search for voices which I can use.

Meaning, REASON was delivered with a limited number of usable voices and that simply did block me to work further with REASON 4 and I have un-installed and gave it away. LOL.

No voice libraries for me. never again.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 24, 2009 @ 11:22 AM
J Boz
Joined  02-17-2009

no problem here jan. i’ve gotten plenty (like 1000’s) of .wav files off the internet and uploaded them in Reason. i have updated my drum kits in Reason as well. i’m pretty happy in Reason (and other programs i have). i recently learned how to use Recycle (for samples).
so, between Reason/Fruity Loops, Motif Classic and Sonar/Sound Forge/Adobe Audition, i’m a happy camper.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Reaper 3
Next Topic:

Motif ES8 (w/512MB) up for auction ››