mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Sequencing"

Posted on: February 08, 2009 @ 11:28 AM
Zach01
Total Posts:  0
Joined  02-08-2009

I am thinking of buying the S90ES and am brand new to synths. 

I have two questions:

1.  I have heard ES90 does not have sequencing - is this correct?

also,

2.  If I would like to take a sound, for example, a voice recording, and insert as a loop, is this possible using the S90ES?

thank you.

Zach

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 08, 2009 @ 12:09 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: Sequencing

The S90 ES does not have a recording sequencer. It can playback MIDI files. But there is no recording or editing of sequence data.

The S90 ES does not have the ability to load or playback samples. So no, you cannot load a Voice recording.

You want to look at the Motif XS as it has both the ability to load/playback samples and to record/edit sequences.

The Yamaha S-series synthesizers are the Motif-series without the very features you mentioned.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 08, 2009 @ 12:42 PM
Zach01
Joined  02-08-2009

Unfortunately, as far as I know, the Motif-XS with less than 88 keys does not have weighted keys which is a priority for me and the 88 keys model is way above my price range. 

Is there any recording feature on the S90ES?

I think that the S90ES comes with Cubase - I am assuming this software has this ability, is that correct?

Last question - I fell in love with the feel of the keys and the Grand Piano MOTIF engine sound on the S90ES - would I still have these features with the Yamaha MO8?  From what I gather the MO8 does sequencing/recording although it doesn’t seem as if it would do sampling (? yes?).

Thank you very much for the quick and informative reply.

Zach

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 08, 2009 @ 03:00 PM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

There is no recording capabilities in the S90ES (neither sampling nor MIDI sequencing).

Yes Cubase does support both audio recording and MIDI sequencing.

I believe the MO8 has the same “balanced hammer” action as the S90ES. The MO8 does not support aftertouch (while the S90ES does). It does allow you to record sequenced songs and pattern (but no sampling).

Regards,

Brad Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 08, 2009 @ 05:20 PM
Zach01
Joined  02-08-2009

thanks Brad
say hi to Beaverton (I was out there a long time ago in the 70s for three summers with friends).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2009 @ 04:24 AM
sciuriware
Total Posts:  9999
Joined  08-18-2003

If you like the sounds of the S90ES and your budget doesn’t allow an XS,
turn to an ES8; can have 1Gb sample memory and has a full blown sequencer.

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2009 @ 04:36 AM
Zach01
Joined  02-08-2009

thanks it looks great but does ES8 have weighted keys

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2009 @ 04:39 AM
sciuriware
Total Posts:  9999
Joined  08-18-2003

Same as any grand.

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2009 @ 05:20 AM
Zach01
Joined  02-08-2009

Just checked the ES8 out and it’s evidently a discontinued model, but fairly widely available on Craiglist used for around $1500 give or take. 

Does anyone happen to know wherethe ES8 can be found from an authorized seller with a warranty?  I’ve been googling ES8 but the links keep going to MO8’s.
Thanks.

Zach

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2009 @ 08:31 AM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

Zach,

Since the Motif XS was introduced about two years ago and the ES discontinued shortly thereafter, I’d be a bit surprised if you are able to find a new ES from an authorized Yamaha dealer. You might find a demo model, but I’m not sure that would be better than purchasing one from a third party.

Regards,

Brad Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2009 @ 10:38 AM
Zach01
Joined  02-08-2009

you guys are great thank you for all the help
not sure what i am going to do, but offhand it seems like if i am going to front $2K for the S90ES I might as well save some multiple pennies and hang out for a while for the Motif XS8 which seems to have the features i’m looking for . .

if, by the way, anyone knows someone who wants to buy a couple of years old Martin Guitar DC16RGTE, still smelling like fresh wood and out of the box, let me know.  I’m asking for $1,2K which should help with the Synth purchase.

Zach

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2009 @ 10:41 AM
Zach01
Joined  02-08-2009

this may be a duplicate, but I didn’t see my response post so here goes (again):

thanks for all the help, you guys are great

i think if i’m going to put up the 2K for a 90ES without all the features i want i might as well save some multiple pennies to get the motif xs8 which has exactly what i am looking for (another 1,2K for that

i’m selling my Martin DC16RGTE Guitar if you guys know anyone in the market - perfect condition, still smells like fresh wood, original hard case for 1,2K that should help with the $ for the motif

take care all and thank you

zach

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif Classic Insertion Effects
Next Topic:

Short tutorial on GM files ››