mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Anyone migrated a Motif XF to a Montage?  How did it go?"

Posted on: March 08, 2022 @ 12:14 PM
zippydog
Total Posts:  153
Joined  04-01-2011

I understand that with OS 2.0, the Montage will upload, read and play Motif XF sounds and performances.  This is interesting to me, as I don’t take advantage of sequencing or recording or even sampling much on the Motif. Furthermore it’s a heavy piece to move around for live use, which is my primary application.

I’m wondering if anyone has migrated XF sounds to a Montage and how well that worked. I have a number of third-party sound libraries that include samples. Can samples be transferred as well?  I’ve been reluctant to move on from my motif because I do not wish to re-create all of my sounds and performances on another instrument. Depending on how easy it is to do with the montage, I may be making a change at last.

Hoping that someone here who has been down that road can shed some light for me. Thanks in advance!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 16, 2022 @ 05:15 PM
RobinVT
Total Posts:  210
Joined  01-16-2012

try this site:  http://www.yamahasynth.com/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2022 @ 02:19 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005
zippydog - 08 March 2022 12:14 PM

I have a number of third-party sound libraries that include samples. Can samples be transferred as well?

Libraries from Yamaha and Easysounds cannot be transferred because Montage and MODX do not work with the file encryption Yamaha used. Made all my sample based libraries going back to the original Motif, ES and XS useless.  Why I do not own a Montage or MODX.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 20, 2022 @ 10:22 PM
keyman@usa.net
Total Posts:  77
Joined  07-28-2006

I have a Montage.
My Motif XF sounds transferred but my samples did not. This includes purchased samples as well as my user samples. This is consistent with the earlier post about other libraries not transferring.

The change/lack of functionality was more jarring than anticipated. I guess Yamaha expects everyone to carry a laptop to gigs. That works for some players and that’s cool. But for some of us that is not our first choice.
There may be a few functions that have been added with subsequent Montage OS versions but overall the Montage is a disappointment.

I use my Motif XF as the workstation along with software like Logic, Audacity and Cubase with the Montage as ‘sound module’.
The Montage purchase came with a limited/free version of the Sample Robot. Sample Robot worked, sort of, but it was a tedious process that was disappointing on my purchased samples as well as my user samples. 
I like the horn ‘rise’ and horn ‘fall’ sounds in the Monrage.
The Bosendorfer free upgrade is pretty good.

Some days the Montage sounds better to me than my ES and XF; some days it sounds the same.
I have 3 XFs and had planed to have 3 Montage units, but that plan has changed.
These are one person’s opinions and subjective. 🤓
— 🎹

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 25, 2022 @ 04:12 PM
moxrox
Total Posts:  440
Joined  11-28-2011

I migrated from a Motif XF to a Montage a few years ago and have been quite happy with it. However, I have not tried to move any sounds from the XF to the Montage.

I was a bit concerned at first about the lack of a sequencer, but they have added some basic sequencer capabilities. Generally, I find it easier to use a computer and DAW for sequencing, and that was true on the XF as well.

At first, I thought the super knob was mostly a gimmick, but I have found it to be quite useful. It can be complicated to set up, but it’s a great way to morph, or just quickly change, from one sound to another. Very helpful.

I love the touchscreen and being able to organize sounds into multiple pages of setlists.

Another thing I like is that the architecture has been simplified - no more distinction between a voice and a performance. I am also glad to not have to worry about Firewire any more. USB is much better.

Overall, I am very happy I made the switch to Montage.

[ Ignore ]