mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Pc connection"

Posted on: February 17, 2022 @ 08:11 PM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

Hey everyone.  Been a while since I’ve used any equipment; illnesses and such.  Anyways, I’m back and have a connection question.  My setup is simple.  Motif to Scarlett 2i2 to powered speakers with balanced trs cables.  Plus the usb to computer. 

I’ve only really used the motif when my DAW is on, but I can’t figure out why I cannot hear the motif through the speakers when my pc is turned off.  It would seem that the cables are still going the same path as above.  The USB from the Scarlett is primarily for the DAW connection.

I’m hoping someone can tell me what I’m missing.  I realize the motif has its own audio interface and I suspect it’d work fine going directly to the speakers and eliminating the Scarlett, but I want to avoid this only because of the wiring setup I have.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions. 
Rich

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2022 @ 11:00 PM
- Henry -
Total Posts:  164
Joined  10-30-2011

Hi,

The bigger Scarlett interfaces (6i6 and up) can be operated in Standalone mode, without a computer. These have external power supplies, and the extra circuitry to store signal routing setups. The 2i2 is different, unfortunately.

First of all, the 2i2 is USB-powered, which means that your computer is supplying the needed power via the USB cable. When your computer is shut down, the interface also turns off. Some computers have USB-ports that can deliver power even when off, but…

Secondly, the 2i2 needs to synchronize with the driver software on your computer in order to operate. Only then can the “taps” be opened between inputs and outputs.

Best regards,

- H -

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2022 @ 11:10 AM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

Ahh.  I understand now.  Thanks so much Henry.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Yamaha’s Next Flagship Synthesizer.???
Next Topic:

Intermitent distorted sound ››