mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Play Entire Sample Assigned to a Key?"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: July 24, 2021 @ 07:25 AM
eisenfarn
Total Posts:  48
Joined  01-24-2011

Hi guys, I have assigned several samples to a voice, i.e. the F key will play one sample, the E key another etc. I’ve placed this voice in a performance so I can play other voices on the right hand and kick off the samples on the left (split keyboard), is it possible to just hit the key and have the Motif play the entire sample rather than keep it pressed for as long as the sample lasts?, each sample is only a few seconds.

Thank you :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 24, 2021 @ 04:00 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

You should find the Drum Kit Loop Tutorial useful.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 06, 2021 @ 02:32 AM
eisenfarn
Total Posts:  48
Joined  01-24-2011

Never thought of using a drum kit voice, thank you

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 06, 2021 @ 03:31 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011

You’re welcome.

I have used drum kit VOICES per that tutorial to trigger many useful SAMPLES, e.g. the cash register intro to Pink Floyd’s Money, and the jet engine sounds in the Beatles’ Back In the USSR.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 20, 2021 @ 10:34 AM
RobinVT
Total Posts:  210
Joined  01-16-2012

cmayhle- Do you have a file you could share with me? I have made a sample to just do the marimba part in Africa by Toto and now would like to put it in the Pattern so after I play the intro I can just hit a key to play the marimba part and punch out.
I am having a little trouble following all the jargon in the drum kit tutorial.  It is tough to get old.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 23, 2021 @ 03:27 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011

Hi RobinVT, I am not sure what type of file you are looking for, as I use triggered samples in PERFORMANCE mode.

Unfortunately my Motif XF is in band storage in a different location than I am in, so I can’t currently see if I have something useful to you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 23, 2021 @ 05:00 PM
RobinVT
Joined  01-16-2012

I want to see how you setup the audio file to play it in Pattern mode.  I get making the audio file and assigning it to keys on/off in the ISS, this may be a stupid question, but can you just setup one key on and one key off to play one audio file, say putting it on track 16, use C2 to trigger it to play one measure and punch out, play a verse, press C2 again to trigger it to play and punch out?  It is probably simpler than I think, it is just getting the basics down.

I want to make an audio file for the marimba part in Africa by Toto. This way I can play the intro, press the C2 key to play the marimba part though, play the next measure, then hit the C2 again, if you get my drift. That way I don’t have to split the keyboard to get all the sounds I need.
I have not done anything with the sequencer, so to speak, since I had the Motif and would like a little help to get started.  Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 03, 2021 @ 02:51 PM
rgalesi
Total Posts:  5
Joined  08-07-2019

funny! I searched and found the Drum Kit Loops article precisely for launching the Marimba in Toto for my classic rock cover band. Bright minds?!?!?!

But I’m running into some problems… Following the guidance of the article, I was able to make it work on another song (intro for Comfortably Numb) in my first try.

But now for whatever reason, I cannot make it work with a custom Drum Kit voice anymore. I’m following the “instructions” on that article to the letter, already made it work once, but now cannot make the samples play when I strike the assigned key.

I can audition the Marimba sample in my Flash memory FL1 (so IT IS saved there), but when I assign them to any key in the Drum Kit voice, no sound comes out. I’m 99% sure (leaving some wiggle room here...) I have all of the parameters identical as the article suggests, as well as to when it did work for Comfortably Numb…

Any idea what I might be doing wrong??????

HELP!!!!
Frustrating… I may have re-recorded this sample 100 times trying to make it work…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 03, 2021 @ 02:58 PM
rgalesi
Joined  08-07-2019
RobinVT - 23 August 2021 05:00 PM

I want to see how you setup the audio file to play it in Pattern mode.  I get making the audio file and assigning it to keys on/off in the ISS, this may be a stupid question, but can you just setup one key on and one key off to play one audio file, say putting it on track 16, use C2 to trigger it to play one measure and punch out, play a verse, press C2 again to trigger it to play and punch out?  It is probably simpler than I think, it is just getting the basics down.

I want to make an audio file for the marimba part in Africa by Toto. This way I can play the intro, press the C2 key to play the marimba part though, play the next measure, then hit the C2 again, if you get my drift. That way I don’t have to split the keyboard to get all the sounds I need.
I have not done anything with the sequencer, so to speak, since I had the Motif and would like a little help to get started.  Thanks

RobinVT, if I understand your question there, what you have to do is set the AEG (amplitude) parameters of your sample when you assign it to a key in a User Drum Kit Voice under Voice Edit. Make the parameter decay2 “hold”, and then when you punch that key once, it will play the whole Marimba riff. Then you go back to playing the Gm, A, Cm chords, then you can hit that key again, the Marimba riff will play entirely, etc. Note you do not have to wait until the Marimba riff finishes playing, you can already move on to the regular chords - just like in the song.

At least that’s the theory, since as I pointed out above, something else for me didn’t work… (did for one song, but not the other - strange)

Hopefully this makes sense and helps?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 03, 2021 @ 05:08 PM
RobinVT
Joined  01-16-2012

Thanks, I will give it a try.  I was trying to use it in Pattern mode as in the example in the Drum Kit tutorial, but I will have to record the marimba riff, either make it an Arp. or a sample, I guess, and then assign it to a drum kit voice.  I am just a little confused.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 05, 2021 @ 12:33 PM
RobinVT
Joined  01-16-2012

Are you using sample+note to trigger?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 06, 2021 @ 06:03 PM
RobinVT
Joined  01-16-2012

I finally found the article I needed to give me info I needed, combined with the drum kit tutorial.
http://www.motifator.com/storage/support/SamplingSeqMode1.pdf

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 07, 2021 @ 11:57 AM
rgalesi
Joined  08-07-2019

I was doing the exact same thing. I recorded the Marimba on another keyboard I have (a MOX), then “played” and had it sampled via the A/D input on the back of the Motif.

I think I selected “sample” only, and not “sample+key” as suggested by the article by Phil/Yamaha. It seemed there that the “sample+MIDI/key” makes it very complicated.

The arpeggio could be a good solution too, but I’m not so sure how to have it play it all, but just once, without having to hold the key. I think that’s why they suggest using the Drum Kit/Drum Voice.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 07, 2021 @ 12:02 PM
rgalesi
Joined  08-07-2019

Thanks for the extra article. I’ll check it out as well. Even though my Motif is the XF, it seems is almost (if not totally) identical to the XS.

Perhaps I’ll be able to identify my mistake there, and finally understand why I can audition/hear the sample directly from the Flash Memory, but when I assign it to a key in a Drum Voice, it does not play…

PS: I meant “sample+note” above, when I said “sample+key"…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 07, 2021 @ 05:21 PM
RobinVT
Joined  01-16-2012

Yes, the XS tutorials are pretty much the same for the XF, same machine except for the flash memory.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 08, 2021 @ 09:05 AM
rgalesi
Joined  08-07-2019

hey RobinVT, not sure if you care, but on the YamahaSynth forum Bad Mister solved my issue: my problem was trying to assign the clip/audio to C-1 and D-1 keys.

You cannot do that in a Drum Kit Voice. The Drum Kit voice only “works” between the C0 and C6 keys (73 different keys), hence different than a regular Voice, which works from C-2 to G8 (88 different keys).

Voila!

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2