mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Can’t upload a MID file to XS7"

Posted on: May 09, 2021 @ 02:46 PM
imaband
Total Posts:  73
Joined  07-22-2003

Hi,

I’d love to be able to upload a multi-track MIDI file to the XS7 in SONG mode. The only way I can get the files to appear when I mount the USB drive is to use the SMF file type. But when I hit SF2 to load the file into a completely blank SONG slot, if it’s a MIDI-1 format file it just says “No Data” and gives up. If it’s a MIDI-0 format file it pretends to load it but the file it loads is just the last song that was in the play buffer. Is there a firmware update that fixes this? I’d sure like to walk into a venue without a laptop in tow and just press the SONG button and have it do roughly the same thing as my DAW or a MIDI player like SHOWPLAY.

Thanks
Jeff

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2021 @ 06:32 PM
imaband
Joined  07-22-2003

Ok with a bit of experimentation I figured this out. Here are some pointers.

1. Save your MID files as MIDI Format 0.
2. Get rid of or mute any tracks that control other devices like harmonizers or effects gear. Include only tracks that control the XS7. Having said that I’d still love to be able to control external MIDI devices in SONG mode.
3. Clear the SONG before loading - not 100% sure this is needed.
4. Assign an explicit channel to any tracks that just spit out SysEx. In my DAW I just left it unassigned.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2021 @ 06:41 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Let’s put any possibility of a firmware issue to bed.

To check the OS version…
Press and release the [UTILITY] button to get into Utility mode.
Then press [UTILITY], [ ^ ](Cursor Up) and [F1] buttons simultaneously.

What’s displayed?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2021 @ 06:49 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
imaband - 09 May 2021 06:32 PM

Ok with a bit of experimentation I figured this out. Here are some pointers.

1. Save your MID files as MIDI Format 0.
2. Get rid of or mute any tracks that control other devices like harmonizers or effects gear. Include only tracks that control the XS7. Having said that I’d still love to be able to control external MIDI devices in SONG mode.
3. Clear the SONG before loading - not 100% sure this is needed.
4. Assign an explicit channel to any tracks that just spit out SysEx. In my DAW I just left it unassigned.

MIDI file format is not the issue. The XS will load either 0 or 1, although it will save only Type 0.

See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/member/profile/viewthread/470841/

If you want the XS7 to be a Master controller, Master Mode is designed for that. However, that doesn’t mean a certain degree of external control can’t be obtained in Song Mode.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2021 @ 08:34 PM
imaband
Joined  07-22-2003
5pinDIN - 09 May 2021 06:49 PM

If you want the XS7 to be a Master controller, Master Mode is designed for that. However, that doesn’t mean a certain degree of external control can’t be obtained in Song Mode.

Mr DIN:

Thanks for the speedy reply! I’m now shooting for that “degree of external control in Song Mode” by creating a MIDI sequence with just a drum track on ch 10 and a harmony track on ch 7. But whether I save as Format 0 or 1 I keep getting a “No Data” message when I try to load the file into an empty Song slot. I tried forcing the events to track channels 1 and 2 and adding events earlier in each track assuming that maybe it thinks there is “no data” because it doesn’t happen early enough. So far nothing has worked so any insight is appreciated.

If/when I get past this pesky “No Data” issue I plan to simply keep my hamonizer output going to my Midi Sport Uno interface and connect it from the MIDI Out of the XS7 directly to the harmonizer and see what happens. Am I on the right track?

I also haven’t messed with Master mode in years but that looks like a promising approach once I figure out how to tie a Song to one.

Cheers!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2021 @ 09:09 PM
imaband
Joined  07-22-2003

More experimentation has yielded more questions…

I’m completely baffled by the idea of 8 Zones in Master mode. It appears the only way I can control what events are interal or external is to split the keyboard up into up to 8 different key ranges. I’m not “playing” the harmony track and even if I was there would be no room on the keyboard for its range of notes since the main part takes up pretty much the entire keyboard. I’ll defer insight on this for later. For now it looks like Zone 1 defaults to what I need to “play along” with the SONG sequence. So I added Zone 2 and assigned it MIDI Channel 7 (Harmonizer) and checked External, Tx Bank Select and Tx Program Change. My hope is that it will simply take whatever the SONG sequence is outputing on Channel 7 and route it out the MIDI Out jack. But since the Key range is the entire keyboard will my playing somehow trigger unwanted harmonizer events?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2021 @ 10:36 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

There are several possible issues that might need to be addressed. Let’s take things one step at a time.

1) I previously asked which OS version your XS has installed. Please check and reply.

2) The thread I previously linked to has a few attached files in my posts. Please download and unzip them, and let us know whether you have any difficulty loading them as SMFs.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 10, 2021 @ 06:13 PM
imaband
Joined  07-22-2003

DIN,

Thanks for your guidance. Here’s the information you requested:

Firmware Version 1.07.0
Kernel Version 2.6.10_mvl401
Contents Version 1.07.0

TEST.MID displays the Now loading message for several minutes so I aborted it.

Xs’d Up PC2 Type 1 loaded and played just fine.

I suspect the firmware is ancient.

Thanks,
Jeff

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 10, 2021 @ 11:25 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Indeed, version 1.07 is ancient.

The most recent OS is 1.60, which can be downloaded here:
https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/index.html?c=music_production&k=Motif+XS

The 1.60 zip file will include a Readme, providing installation instructions and detailing the numerous fixes and new features of versions since 1.07. It will also include an Owner’s Manual supplement in PDF form covering 1.60 enhancements.

You should also get the supplement that covers new functions for versions 1.50 and 1.10, available here:
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/contents/music_production/downloads/manuals/index.html?l=en&c=music_production&k=motif+xs

Updating the firmware is straightforward if the instructions are followed. Do make sure that power to the XS isn’t interrupted during the procedure.

I suggest checking SMF loading again once updating is completed. We can discuss any issues that remain under the new OS - let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 12, 2021 @ 11:57 PM
imaband
Joined  07-22-2003

DIN,

The OS Upgrade went off without a hitch. Just the audio recording feature is worth the upgrade. The SMF files still behave the same as before but I suppose it’s possible that TEST.MID is corrupted or something. But I think I’m way past that now anyway since I’m loading and playing MIDI Type 1 files as SONGs and the harmonizer channel appears to load just fine. I also discovered that once I switched the Midi IN/OUT parameter from USB to MIDI, the harmony track controls the harmonizer and even changes patches as expected without ever enabling the zones. I finally realized that the zones are ONLY needed if you want to control other channels with the keyboard.

This is like having a brand new keyboard! Thanks again for your guidance!

Jeff

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 13, 2021 @ 12:23 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
imaband - 12 May 2021 11:57 PM

DIN,

The OS Upgrade went off without a hitch. Just the audio recording feature is worth the upgrade. The SMF files still behave the same as before but I suppose it’s possible that TEST.MID is corrupted or something. But I think I’m way past that now anyway since I’m loading and playing MIDI Type 1 files as SONGs and the harmonizer channel appears to load just fine. I also discovered that once I switched the Midi IN/OUT parameter from USB to MIDI, the harmony track controls the harmonizer and even changes patches as expected without ever enabling the zones. I finally realized that the zones are ONLY needed if you want to control other channels with the keyboard.

This is like having a brand new keyboard! Thanks again for your guidance!

Jeff

You’re welcome - have fun with your “new” keyboard.  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Setting up a performance
Next Topic:

Pattern mode issue ››