mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Switch and/or Latch Controllers for Rotary FX?"

Posted on: May 03, 2021 @ 12:33 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

I have many Songs that use a Tone Wheel Organ patch + Rotary Insertion FX that I control with the Mod Wheel. I’d like to change several to a simple on/off switch. (A graduated Rotary can create some great effects, but it’s actually not how a traditional Leslie speaker with a Hammond B3 works.)

I want something with a small “footprint” that I will activate with my foot or possibly just put on the keyboard and use my left hand to trigger (similar to how it would be done on a B3.)

My main goal is not so much about authenticity and more about simplifying my hand “choreography”. It will also free up the Mod Wheel for other tasks.

So....

I’ve been fooling around with my Boss F5-FU box but I’m still confused as to how to set the Box up (is there anything to adjust, like polarity or whatnot?) AND the MOXF internal settings necessary for it to operate as a LATCH—press down ONCE and it’s ON, press again and its OFF (vs press and hold down [ON], let up [OFF].)

Problem is, the LATCH seems to be working as expected but then somehow or other after I press it again (to OFF theoretically), when I come back to it later in the Song it’s not acting as a LATCH anymore. 

It’s either a) that model Box is not the correct type, b) there is a setting I need to change on the box, c) I’m not configuring the MOXF properly, or d) some combination of settings or the sequence of connections are not playing nicely together (I sometimes find that the order and sequence of powering up causes odd behavior in certain brands of pedals.) I have only the Assignable jack to work with on the MOXF, so there’s no option in that regard.

If it doesn’t feel right as a floor stomp box, I guess the most logical thing to do is to use one of the two Assignable Buttons. I think they can be set to LATCH or HOLD in Utilities but I’ve never used them for anything except as part of an extra Voice articulation. I’m needing to do this in Song/Pattern mode. 

Is anybody else running this same or similar set-up who might be able to help me?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2021 @ 08:12 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
muscarella - 03 May 2021 12:33 PM

I have many Songs that use a Tone Wheel Organ patch + Rotary Insertion FX that I control with the Mod Wheel. I’d like to change several to a simple on/off switch. (A graduated Rotary can create some great effects, but it’s actually not how a traditional Leslie speaker with a Hammond B3 works.)

If you’re referring to Speed Control, the MW already acts as an on/off switch. At a certain point of the MW rotation (determined by Depth setting) the switching in speed occurs. How rapidly the transition happens for the horn and rotor depends on Slow-Fast Time programming of the Rotary Speaker Insert Effect. That timing emulates a real Leslie, whose horn and rotor have physical mass and therefore don’t instantaneously change speed.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2021 @ 12:31 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

So if I want to use the MW for something else during SONG PLAYBACK, can I assign the Rotary on/off to an Assignable Function Button? That sounds like a better solution then onw more foot controller. I was under impression the AF buttons were only for boosting an Element of a Voice.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2021 @ 02:48 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
muscarella - 04 May 2021 12:31 PM

So if I want to use the MW for something else during SONG PLAYBACK, can I assign the Rotary on/off to an Assignable Function Button? That sounds like a better solution then onw more foot controller. I was under impression the AF buttons were only for boosting an Element of a Voice.

The AF buttons (and other controllers) can be assigned to one of 102 different Destinations via the Controller Set. Several of those Destinations aren’t related to Element levels, including some that control the (up to) 16 Parameters of Insert Effects A and B. See page 118 of the MOXF Data List.

Whether assigning an AF button for Rotary Speaker Speed Control is practical may depend on whether AF1/AF2 are already assigned for another Destination in any particular Voice.

Using PRE1 083/F03 (16 + 8 + 5&1;/3) as an example of changing Speed Control from MW to AF1 (or AF2)…
Copy the Voice to a Part of the Song Mixing
From Mixing Common Edit:
[F1]GENERAL, set AF1 (or AF2) to “latch”
- See page 116 of the MOXF Reference Manual
[F4]CTL SET, change Source MW to AF1 (or AF2)
- See page 32 of the Reference Manual
STORE as a Mixing Voice, or User Voice if preferred

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2021 @ 05:04 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

I see. That helps to get me going in the right direction.

I understand what you’re saying about the MW being essentially ON/OFF IF I quickly throw it all the way up or all the way down. That is what I’m doing now on a few Songs. But one or two of those Songs are tunes that I’m also needing the MW for Vibrato on a solo instrument that I play. I’ve read in some of early MOX articles about using the Mod Wheel to cross-fade two Parts, sneak in strings, etc.
=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2021 @ 06:17 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
muscarella - 04 May 2021 05:04 PM

I see. That helps to get me going in the right direction.

I understand what you’re saying about the MW being essentially ON/OFF IF I quickly throw it all the way up or all the way down. That is what I’m doing now on a few Songs.

The switching doesn’t matter how quickly the MW is moved - it happens at a particular point of MW rotation, related to the Controller Set “Depth” setting. The transition occurs when crossing between the values of 63 and 64 (out of 127). That is, any value of 0-63 is one state of the switch, and 64-127 is the other state.

muscarella -

But one or two of those Songs are tunes that I’m also needing the MW for Vibrato on a solo instrument that I play. I’ve read in some of early MOX articles about using the Mod Wheel to cross-fade two Parts, sneak in strings, etc.
=

Which controller(s) can be used without compromising one feature or another would, of course, have to be determined case-by-case.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Midi or SysEx message - mixing
Next Topic:

Need "flat" and accurate open-back headphones! ››