mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Saving a patch"

Posted on: March 27, 2021 @ 05:59 AM
mpdive12
Total Posts:  5
Joined  03-27-2021

I am technically challenged but I am slowly learning the in’s and out’s of my ES6.  We are doing an Easter service where I will be using three different organ sounds in our six song set.  A couple of the songs I transpose because they are in weird flat keys.  In Motif for dummies terms, is there a way to save a patch already transposed?  For example....If I have the Soulem patch on with no transpose for song 1 and then switch to Sunday organ at -2 transpose for the second song can I do that with a push of a button?  Currently I have figured out how to save the preset but I have to manually go in to the edit mode and transpose the patch which takes time.  Again I am just learning this board and am in my senior years so my VCR still flashes noon.  LOL.  Any help in layman terms would be SO appreciated!  It would be so nice just to hit one button.  Thanks guys!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2021 @ 07:06 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Welcome to the forum.

Using “layman terms” might not be the best way to proceed, since to a certain degree Yamaha tends to have their own vocabulary. For example, the term “patch” as defined by Yamaha doesn’t refer to what you think it does. Also, you don’t “save a preset” - I believe you mean “STORE a User Voice”.   :-)

Let’s see if we can find common language. To begin, which mode are you working in - Voice, Performance, Song?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2021 @ 08:17 AM
mpdive12
Joined  03-27-2021

Thanks for the quick reply.  Being that everything I use at church is Midi through MainStage, which in itself is a learning curve, the whole Motif thing is new to me but the worship pastor likes the organ sounds from it.  I use it mainly for that.  The whole performance vs voice thing is a bit confusing to me and for what I am trying to do, I am open to any suggestions you may have on accomplishing what I need to do.  Presently I just use the voice setting.  Our first song on Easter uses the Soulem sound in regular tuning.  The next song uses the Sunday organ sound in Eb which I transpose.  The transition between songs is very quick hence the reason for looking for a quick way to change “patches” or sounds quickly.  I plan on using this board a lot more in the future but as a senior player the learning curve is quite slow.  This whole midi thing has been overwhelming at times.  For me, progress is progress no matter how slow the baby steps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2021 @ 11:41 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
mpdive12 - 27 March 2021 08:17 AM

Thanks for the quick reply.  Being that everything I use at church is Midi through MainStage, which in itself is a learning curve, the whole Motif thing is new to me but the worship pastor likes the organ sounds from it.  I use it mainly for that.  The whole performance vs voice thing is a bit confusing to me and for what I am trying to do, I am open to any suggestions you may have on accomplishing what I need to do.  Presently I just use the voice setting.

Since you’re apparently familiar with Voice mode, let’s keep using it.

mpdive12 -

Our first song on Easter uses the Soulem sound in regular tuning.  The next song uses the Sunday organ sound in Eb which I transpose.

The “Soulemn” organ Voice in an ES is found at PRE2:A04 (and at USR2:C05 if the factory settings are intact).
The “Sunday” organ Voice in an ES is found at PRE1:G09 (and at USR2:C05 if the factory settings are intact).

mpdive12 -

The transition between songs is very quick hence the reason for looking for a quick way to change “patches” or sounds quickly.

I suggest that you STORE the two Voices in consecutive locations in a User Voice bank (USR1 or USR2). Start by finding User locations that you don’t care about so that they can be overwritten with the organ Voices.

STORE the unedited “Solemn” Voice to the first of the two User Voice locations you decide on. Next, edit the “Sunday” Voice. Each active Element of the Voice can be tuned up to +/-64 semitones. If you need instructions, Element Edit details are in the ES Owner’s Manual, beginning on page 195. On page 196, see [F2]PITCH, [SF1]TUNE, and then the “Coarse” setting. Once that’s done, STORE it at the next consecutive User Voice location beyond where you put “Soulemn”. STORE information, including how to select the destination, is on page 85 of the Owner’s Manual.

mpdive12 -

I plan on using this board a lot more in the future but as a senior player the learning curve is quite slow.  This whole midi thing has been overwhelming at times.  For me, progress is progress no matter how slow the baby steps.

At nearly 73 myself, I don’t consider age to be a consideration - “old dogs” can learn new tricks!

If any of the above is unclear, please let us know at what step(s) you’re having difficulty.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2021 @ 12:00 PM
mpdive12
Joined  03-27-2021

THANK YOU so much for that!  The board is at church.  I usually get there a couple hours early and will try this tomorrow.  I think I may even bring the board home for the week to play around with it.  I will post back tomorrow after service to let you know my progress!  I started reading the manual again this morning and started to wonder what all that performance mode stuff was about and read something about the four different voices or parts.  I’m thinking thats why you asked about what mode.  If you can just pull faders up and down to bring in different voices in different keys that would be awesome!  Of course thats not in my wheelhouse yet.LOL Thanks for opening up the door on this and I hope I can use this as intended.Cant wait till tomorrow to try this!!  Cant thank you enough!!!!!!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 28, 2021 @ 08:36 AM
mpdive12
Joined  03-27-2021

Got to church this morning and did exactly as you said and it works!!!  Big victory for me!!  Thanks for being so precise with your instructions.  I started off by doing a factory reset and all four songs are stored in the intended key.  One thing I may need a little help on....  My volume expression pedal always controlled the Leslie speed but since I did the factory reset it just controls ES volume.  I don’t ever remember assigning it to do Leslie speaker but I learned to love that.  Is it easy to reassign the pedal back to Leslie control?  Lastly, you have no idea the time and confusion you saved me.  Just hitting a button per song is a dream.  You are much appreciated!  Blessings

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 28, 2021 @ 11:24 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
mpdive12 - 28 March 2021 08:36 AM

Got to church this morning and did exactly as you said and it works!!!  Big victory for me!!  Thanks for being so precise with your instructions.  I started off by doing a factory reset and all four songs are stored in the intended key.

You’re welcome - I’m glad that did the trick for you. If you haven’t already done so, you might want to SAVE an “All” file to a USB flash dive. That way what you did can be restored if anything overwrites it in the future. File Mode information begins on page 266 of the Owner’s Manual.

mpdive12 -

One thing I may need a little help on....  My volume expression pedal always controlled the Leslie speed but since I did the factory reset it just controls ES volume.  I don’t ever remember assigning it to do Leslie speaker but I learned to love that.  Is it easy to reassign the pedal back to Leslie control?

Doing the factory reset is apparently what changed the Controller assignment. Perhaps we can determine what the previous setting was…

First, see if the Modulation Wheel (MW) affects the Rotary Speaker speed. If it does, it should be possible to assign the pedal to serve the same function.
Try this from Voice Mode:
Press [UTILITY] > [F3]VOICE > [SF4]CTL ASN
Set FC1 or FC2 (depending on which Foot Controller jack your pedal is plugged into) to CC#01(Modulation Wheel).
STORE the change if that works.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 29, 2021 @ 01:30 PM
mpdive12
Joined  03-27-2021

OK. You need to have your own video series on synths for beginners!  Everything is back as it was for the foot controller.  If we were neighbors I would be one dang good Motif expert by now!  I have tried the manual many times but it’s easy to get lost.  Thank you so much again for the concise directions.  If I’m ever in your city I’m buying you the biggest steak!!!!  Blessings to you

[ Ignore ]