mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Using xs as software instrument trigger in GarageBand"

Posted on: February 28, 2021 @ 11:23 AM
DeChristopher
Total Posts:  3
Joined  11-26-2020

Could someone give me advice on connecting my Motif xs8 to GarageBand running on a Mac mini?  I have enjoyed onboard sequencing on this keyboard for many years and have finally decided to step it up with a DAW.  I’m pretty late in the game...lol.

I have intentions to purchase a USB interface when budget permits for additional functions and connectivity, but it is my understanding that I can connect directly through USB for this.  All I am trying to do at this point, is the most basic function: to use my Motif to trigger software instruments in GarageBand.

Mac is 2018 Mini, running Big Sur and latest GarageBand, and been trying to connect through USB TO HOST port with a printer cable USB type b 2.0 on motif end and USB type A 2.0 on the Mac end, with no results. Motif MIDI IN/OUT is set to USB and both receive and transmit channels are set to 1.  Device Number set to all.

Do I need to download a driver?  Does my USB connection need to be a USB C on the Mac end?  Thanks in advance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2021 @ 01:47 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

A driver is needed. This one…
https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/usb_midi_driver_for_mac.html
...will work for Catalina/10.15. Yamaha, as of last month, is “Testing” compatibility with Big Sur/11. See the attachment.

File Attachments
mi_os_mac_windows_compatibility_202101-2.pdf  (File Size: 114KB - Downloads: 264)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2021 @ 02:59 PM
DeChristopher
Total Posts:  3
Joined  11-26-2020

Hey,
Thanks very much for the reply.  I will download and try this driver and give it a go.  How does one go about finding out when Yamaha has concluded that particular testing, and is offering an updated driver good for Big Sur?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2021 @ 05:29 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
DeChristopher - 28 February 2021 02:59 PM

Hey,
Thanks very much for the reply.

You’re welcome.

DeChristopher -

I will download and try this driver and give it a go.

OK. Please let us know how things work out.

DeChristopher -

How does one go about finding out when Yamaha has concluded that particular testing, and is offering an updated driver good for Big Sur?

My approach has been to periodically check Yamaha download sites.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ XS Editor questions.
Next Topic:

Motif XS Performance convert to styles ››