mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Volume of channel output vs Voice Output setting in overall Mix quality?"

Posted on: February 19, 2021 @ 04:32 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

I have many Songs where the Volume of one channel is well below 50 while the channel next to it is riding along at 80 or 90? This happens usually because the Preset Volume of the particular Voice is very low. Sometimes I go ahead and Edit the Voice and raise it’s output. But it leaves me wondering what IS the optimum way to go about balancing Voice output to channel output and everything that flows from that? 

Do concepts like Gain Staging have any bearing in the digital realm?

Should any channel be running at less then 100? What is optimal channel volume (like the Unity desired on an analog mixer)?

Should a Voice be tweaked in order to get that channel level to that optimal value?

Does it make any difference to the quality of the Voice to be taking, say, a Voice with a Preset Volume of 56 and putting it to 100, when I could probably just leave it and crank up the channel to 120?

I’m currently going through my entire repertoire of Songs/Patterns and trying to solve certain things re: live performance AND re-mixing to correct things I may have glossed over a few years ago.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2021 @ 06:01 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

There’s no right or wrong way to set internal levels, as long as you don’t overdrive things into clipping. It’s perfectly acceptable to raise the volume of a Part if sufficient level can be achieved that way, and of course that doesn’t require editing and then storing the Voice. Or edit the Voice and store it to a User Bank location, or as a Mixing Voice for the Song, if that seems more appropriate for the particular situation.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2021 @ 08:58 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

I’m from the “always leave some headroom”, “garbage in garbage out” school, but not sure how any of that fits the digital world.

Since Drum Voice volume cannot be altered I use the kick and snare as my loudness guide and keep them below 110 or so. Which sometimes means having to lower all the other channels (or the output of Voice used) to keep below that 110 target. You would say then that the 110 mark is a totally arbitrary limitation that is at most just a way to keep the relative volume of all my Songs within a certain db range?

[ Ignore ]