mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "DAW control of motif"

Posted on: February 09, 2021 @ 12:08 AM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

Hello everyone. 

I’ve read through some older posts and documents written by BadMister on setting up Cubase/Steinberg with the motif.  I never used a DAW until a couple years ago (I went with FL Studio because intuitively I could finally grasp concepts that alluded me with traditional DAWs)

Anyways, The relationship with my XF and DAW has been primarily the motif sending audio or midi to the DAW either via FW or USB.

I was surprised to find out today that the motif vst worked fine in the DAW but I was unable to have the DAW send midi to the XF to play. 
What I’d like to do is be able to have my DAW send midi data to play voices on the motif. 
I can figure out the DAW settings if I can get a little help on what settings are required on the XF, particularly with the Utility/midi parameters
I will be using the USB connection.

Thanks for any suggestions and I hope this was coherent. 
Regards,

Rich

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2021 @ 09:09 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

I had hoped that someone familiar with FL Studio would reply, since that (and most other DAWs) are not my strong suit.

However, I’ll just point out some general information relevant to getting MIDI data into the XF via USB…
1) Perhaps too obvious, but make sure MIDI In/Out in Utility mode is set to “USB”.
2) Verify Port and MIDI channel assignments. The XF’s tone generator will respond to data directed to Port 1 - this will typically be referred to by a DAW as “Yamaha Motif XF-1”, or something similar.

See MIDI channels and MIDI ports on page 57 of the XF Owner’s Manual.

I hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 10, 2021 @ 05:48 PM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

Appreciate the suggestions.  There was a semantic difference used with port and channel. But the pages you suggested in the manual did help.  There’s a little difference in setup between voice mode and song/pattern mode, but I was able to get it working.  And immediately tyoed, printed and laminated instructions. 

It’s seems I’m having to do the latter more and more these days.

Stay well my friend....and safe if this upcoming deep freeze hits you hard.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2021 @ 12:05 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
richie1027 - 10 February 2021 05:48 PM

Appreciate the suggestions.  There was a semantic difference used with port and channel. But the pages you suggested in the manual did help.  There’s a little difference in setup between voice mode and song/pattern mode, but I was able to get it working.  And immediately tyoed, printed and laminated instructions.

Sorry I couldn’t be more specific, but I’m glad you were able to work things out.

richie1027 -

It’s seems I’m having to do the latter more and more these days.

Yeah, getting older can be pain (sometimes literally), but the alternative is worse.

richie1027 -

Stay well my friend....and safe if this upcoming deep freeze hits you hard.

Thanks - same to you.

[ Ignore ]