mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Setting up my MOX to play a Berringer “Model D” (moog) from my MOX (solo)"

Posted on: January 21, 2021 @ 02:06 AM
woodsglen
Total Posts:  19
Joined  01-17-2012

I’m not very well versed in the complex menus of my MOX6. 
I have always played my MOX6 as a stand alone instrument above my Roland RD700 stage piano and have never ventured beyond using the MOX6 in “Voice Mode” (only).

What I’d like to accomplish is use my MOX6 to play the Model D as a solo instrument - basically have a “button push” to send midi to the Model D and have the MOX be “silent” - local control off. 

Ideally - my initial thought was to program one of the USER patches ( in voice mode )to turn on the “Midi Out” while that patch is either empty, muted, or just plain turned down to “zero”.

Can anyone give me some insight on doing this.  My days with the real Moog Model D go back to the early 70’s if this is any indication of my age and lack of ability to comprehend all of the menus of the MOX.

Many Thanks
Wayne

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2021 @ 10:56 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

The following is an approach that should work…
1) Press [UTILITY] > [F6]MIDI > [SF4]OTHER
Set MIDI IN/OUT to “MIDI”. STORE this.

2) To create a silent Voice, first initialize a User one.
[VOICE] > (Select Voice) > [JOB] > [F1]INIT
Then reduce the output to zero, as follows.
[EDIT] > [COMMON] > [F2]OUTPUT setting Volume = 0
STORE this.

3) Check or set the Keyboard Transmit Channel.
[UTILITY] > [F6]MIDI > [SF1]CH
Make note of the KBDTransCh number. Usually defaults to “1”, but may be set to other channels. If you change it, STORE.

4) Connect the MOX MIDI-Out to the Behringer’s MIDI-In. Set the D’s dip switch so that the receive channel matches what the MOX is transmitting on.

5) Select the silent MOX Voice. Play.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2021 @ 05:06 PM
woodsglen
Joined  01-17-2012

Wow, thanks for the help.

Now - is the MIDI out global or can i restrict it to which ever voice setting I have set up.  ( right now it’s active everywhere.  Quick and dirty solution is to turn off the outputs on the model D, not the ideal solution.

Should I be looking at setting up voices in the “Master” control?

Any difference in the midi output selection options? ( single assignment - or Global")

Many thanks!

Wayne

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2021 @ 06:02 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
woodsglen - 21 January 2021 05:06 PM

Wow, thanks for the help.

You’re welcome.

woodsglen -

Now - is the MIDI out global or can i restrict it to which ever voice setting I have set up.  ( right now it’s active everywhere.  Quick and dirty solution is to turn off the outputs on the model D, not the ideal solution.

In Voice Mode the Keyboard Transmit Channel is a global setting.

woodsglen -

Should I be looking at setting up voices in the “Master” control?

Any difference in the midi output selection options? ( single assignment - or Global")

Before I make further suggestions…
You previously posted:
“I have always played my MOX6 as a stand alone instrument above my Roland RD700 stage piano and have never ventured beyond using the MOX6 in “Voice Mode” (only).”

Is that literally true? No usage ever of Song or Pattern modes?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2021 @ 06:26 PM
woodsglen
Joined  01-17-2012

“ Is that literally true? No usage ever of Song or Pattern modes?  “

Answer:  Sorry, but true.  I’m sorta old school.  I’m actually a classical organist - but enjoy playing blues, jazz.  so I’ve never had the need to go into pattern / songs/ etc.  ( YET ).

I also need to dial down the pitch wheel.  Ive combed thru manuals and not having any luck as it pertains to a midi controller.  ( maybe I need to fire up the PC editor and get familiar with that?

Once again, I appreciate you sharing your knowledge - and your patience.

Wayne

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2021 @ 07:20 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
woodsglen - 21 January 2021 06:26 PM

“ Is that literally true? No usage ever of Song or Pattern modes?  “

Answer:  Sorry, but true.  I’m sorta old school.  I’m actually a classical organist - but enjoy playing blues, jazz.  so I’ve never had the need to go into pattern / songs/ etc.  ( YET ).

Not a problem, it may be advantageous in this case.

woodsglen -

I also need to dial down the pitch wheel.  Ive combed thru manuals and not having any luck as it pertains to a midi controller.  ( maybe I need to fire up the PC editor and get familiar with that?

Pitch Bend range is a per-Voice setting…
Select the Voice.
Press [EDIT] > [COMMON] > [F1]GENERAL > [SF4]OTHER
Set PB Upper and PB Lower as desired.
STORE

Since you normally stick to Voice mode, try the following…
1) Press [SONG]
Select an unused Song location.
Press [MIXING] > [F2]VOICE
For Part 1…
Turn P.WithVce “on”.
Select your previously edited Voice via VOICENUM
STORE

2) Exit to SONG Play mode
Press [F3]TRACK > [SF1]CHANNEL
Set OUT CH to other than what the Keyboard Transmit Channel is currently set.
Turn INT SW “off”, EXT SW “on”.
STORE

3) Set the D’s receive channel (via switch) to match the OUT CH setting of the MOX.

When the MOX is set to the Song programmed as above, and Part 1 is selected, the D should play via the MOX keyboard without sound from the MOX. When the MOX is in Voice mode, it should play without sound from the D.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2021 @ 04:20 PM
woodsglen
Joined  01-17-2012

Wow Genius!  Thanks.

Only glitch left is the Pitch bend setting for the voice setting that is programmed for the Model D has no effect on the external MIDI controls for pitch bend.

It’s a full octave, if I can find a way to dial it down, great - if not options, Well - I live with it.

THANKS AGAIN!
Wayne

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2021 @ 06:43 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
woodsglen - 22 January 2021 04:20 PM

Wow Genius!  Thanks.

You’re welcome, and thanks for the compliment.

woodsglen -

Only glitch left is the Pitch bend setting for the voice setting that is programmed for the Model D has no effect on the external MIDI controls for pitch bend.

It’s a full octave, if I can find a way to dial it down, great - if not options, Well - I live with it.

You’re right, the MOX settings for PB range only affect the internal Voices. PB range is 0~127, with the center detent at 64. PB-up goes from 64 to 127, PB-down from 64 to 0, and those are the values sent externally.

Typically you’d determine how the external device responded to those values on the device itself. However, apparently the problem you’re having isn’t easily resolved on the D. See this…
https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/ebrcn1/behringer_model_d_pitchbend/

Otherwise, have fun with the D!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2021 @ 11:26 PM
woodsglen
Joined  01-17-2012

Interesting:  That led me to Behringers support site where i found this.

You can put it in your toolbox for the next caller!
Thanks again for Everything!

How do I change the pitch bend range on my Model D?

Views: 19

The Pitch Bend range on the Model D can be changed within the Synth Tool application. Open up the application with your Model D connected to your computer via USB lead and switched on. In the first page (General), you’ll see two options for Pitch Bend: Mode and Semitones.

If the Mode is set to ‘Fixed,’ you will not be able to change the Pitch Bend range. If you change this to ‘Settable,’ the option below will then allow you to change the number of semitones of pitch bend. When you exit the application or power cycle the device, the mode will change back to ‘Fixed,’ but the range will stay as you set it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2021 @ 11:48 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Apparently Behringer finally updated the Model D firmware to allow proper PB control. Thanks for that information, it’s good to know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2021 @ 12:25 PM
woodsglen
Joined  01-17-2012

Current inventory may be hit or miss.  They’ll need to download “Synthtribe” software from Behringer.  Works for a number of products.
It includes various parameter settings and also will check for updates.
I’ts 2021 and latest firmware update was 12/2018.  Mine needed updating!
Hope this helps someone.

Wayne

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Immaculate mox6 and software no longer for sale!
Next Topic:

Recording in Voice Mode?? ››