mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Sustain Problem - Pedal is fine"

Posted on: January 16, 2021 @ 05:15 PM
userissteve
Total Posts:  12
Joined  09-25-2007

If I press the damper pedal first, then play on the keyboard and release the keys - I get sustain.

If I play and hold the keys, wait for a second, then press the pedal, release the keys - I get sustain.

BUT if I play the keys, press the pedal, and immediately release the keys - quick sequence - NO sustain.

Using an FC3A Yamaha pedal.  Tried half damper setting on and off.  No change.

One last scenario:  MIDI’d a controller with its own sustain to the MOXF - and everything works fine.

Latest firmware is installed and was installed before this started happening.

Looking for a solution!

Thanks.

Steve

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2021 @ 08:56 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
userissteve - 16 January 2021 05:15 PM

[...]Using an FC3A Yamaha pedal.  Tried half damper setting on and off.  No change. [...]

Based on that information, it’s difficult to determine exactly what you’ve tried. There are two places where settings will affect the operation.

One is Half Damper Switch on/off, which is a setting made in Voice mode, per each Voice. See page 44 of the MOXF Reference Manual. If that’s the setting you’ve referred to, it may not be what you’re looking for.

Another setting is via Utility mode. In addition to determining whether the FC3/FC3A is “HalfOn” or “HalfOff”, this setting can also select sustain foot switches FC4/FC5. Make sure that the SustainPedal setting is for one of the FC3 choices, not FC4/FC5. See page 146 of the Reference Manual for details.

If you change the SustainPedal setting, be sure to STORE it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 17, 2021 @ 08:22 PM
userissteve
Joined  09-25-2007

Thanks for the suggestions. I did check the setting in the Utility mode.  Just did a double check to see if I missed something.  Tried both the half on and half off settings for the FC3 - and stored them just to be sure.  No difference.

Did not know about the setting in Voice mode.  Checked it.  No difference.  Changed its settings to try that - still no difference.  Changed it back to “0”.  No difference.

I don’t mind taking it in to be worked on, but I really don’t think they are going to be able to diagnose better than you 5pinDIN.

Any more suggestions?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 17, 2021 @ 11:35 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Do you have an ordinary momentary contact switch-type pedal? If so, try using it after setting to FC4/FC5 in Utility mode. If the switch polarity is normally-closed, it should work correctly with the MOXF. A normally-open type will work in reverse - sustain will be on with the pedal not depressed. Some pedals have switchable polarity.

You can also try using the FOOT SWITCH ASSIGNABLE jack. Set FS control number to 64 SUSTAIN in Utility mode (Reference Manual page 146). Try both the FC3A and a switch-type pedal, if available.

By the way, leaving assignable pedal jacks set to controller 64 may disable normal operation of sustain for anything plugged into the SUSTAIN jack.

Let us know what you determine.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 18, 2021 @ 11:55 AM
userissteve
Joined  09-25-2007

That did it.  I had tried the assignable foot switch before but didn’t realize I needed to store the setting before it would take effect.  Still don’t understand why the sustain jack is working the way it is, but this is very workable.  Restored the system and made a new back up so we’re ready to go and Mama’s happy.

You just saved me about $1600!  I was beginning to think I had a “boat anchor” on my hands.

Steve Rohlfing

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 18, 2021 @ 07:32 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

I’m glad that using the assignable jack was an acceptable resolution for you. That jack is only a TS type, and the circuit doesn’t recognize a range of values an FC3A could generate when connected to the dedicated SUSTAIN one, so of course no half-pedaling - the result is either on or off.

As to why your FC3A doesn’t work correctly when connected to the SUSTAIN jack…
The problem could relate to one of a few different causes. It could be a physical problem with the jack itself, a connection issue, or even a circuit fault that prevents proper processing of data.

By the way, did you verify that the FC3A itself is working correctly? I realize that the subject of this thread says “Pedal is fine”, but did you check its operation in another Motif-family synth?

Of course, none of that might matter if things are working well enough now. Sometimes that’s what ultimately counts.   :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 18, 2021 @ 07:41 PM
userissteve
Joined  09-25-2007

Thanks for the follow up.  Tried several standard pedals - known to work - in the FC4/4 mode.  Still had the same problem.  The problem is just so unusual - pedal first and it works, hold then pedal and it works.  Pedal immediately and release key immediately and it doesn’t work.  I thought it was software at first.  The FC3A performs the same as the other known working pedals.

Thanks again for your help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2021 @ 03:08 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
userissteve - 18 January 2021 07:41 PM

Thanks for the follow up.  Tried several standard pedals - known to work - in the FC4/4 mode.  Still had the same problem.  The problem is just so unusual - pedal first and it works, hold then pedal and it works.  Pedal immediately and release key immediately and it doesn’t work.  I thought it was software at first.  The FC3A performs the same as the other known working pedals.

If you want to pursue this further, you might try running the MOXF’s built-in diagnostic Test Program. It’s covered in the Service Manual…
https://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_moxf6_moxf8_sm.pdf/download.html
...beginning on page 66. Test 26 (details on page71) covers SUSTAIN with an FC3. The test may or may not reveal the problem you’ve experienced.

Note: For those who may be tempted, I suggest not testing a MOXF that’s working correctly.

userissteve -

Thanks again for your help.

No problem.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Mox flash
Next Topic:

Effects Problem ››