mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XS8 FW Win1064 Bit Problems with Drop Outs"

Posted on: January 11, 2021 @ 10:22 AM
bibo007
Total Posts:  4
Joined  01-09-2021

Hi All,

My System
S: Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit [6.2.9200]
CPU(s):
Processor:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz
Physical:  1
Cores:  8
Logical:  16
L1 Cache:  32 KB (16)
L2 Cache:  256 KB (8)
L3 Cache: 16384 KB (1)
Installed RAM: 32702 MB

Looking for OHCI 1394 Host Controllers…

1:
Vendor : (104C) Texas Instruments
Chipset: (8024) TSB43AB23
Revision: 00
Details:
Subsysten VendorId: 0000
Subsystem DeviceId: 0000
Max # isoch Rx contexts: 4
Max # isoch Tx contexts: 8
Max 1394 Speed Capability: S400
Support:  Compatible, no known issues.

Synth OS is 1.12…
my mlan16E2 is 1.07
Startup on FW

Problem: I Installed FW Driver : win_fw_v166x64

All seems fine so far but if I connect synth to my machine mk3 (NI) I have drop outs on playback I can not resolve with the control panel audio settings.

I have not much experience because I had no time for music production over the last 10 years. Bought machine last year to restart and now want to integrate my good old motif in that workflow. In former times i connected the motif via mlan to 01x and that was very good solution on my old winxp computer. Now I want to use the FW (01x is in stand alone mode No FW) synth dirctly connected to the above Firewire Card.

Any Ideas what I do wrong?

1394 issue?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 11, 2021 @ 06:12 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Welcome to the forum.

I suggest that you update the XS8’s OS to version 1.60, which is the most recent…
https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/21001_en.html
...and will fix some problems and provide new functions.

Next, make sure that the IEEE1394 settings in the XS8 are correct. See…
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/motif_xs_ysfw_setup_windows

Also, in the YSFW Driver V1.6.6 download is a Utility folder. The ysfwutility.exe there may be needed to fix the glitches you’re experiencing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2021 @ 04:31 AM
bibo007
Joined  01-09-2021

Thanks!

Before I try I have one question relate to the fully working mlan system with 01x i88x and motif on my old xp computer.

In case I upgrade synth OS to 1.6 does that “kill” that mlan setup?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2021 @ 12:21 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
bibo007 - 12 January 2021 04:31 AM

Thanks!

You’re welcome.

bibo007 -

Before I try I have one question relate to the fully working mlan system with 01x i88x and motif on my old xp computer.

In case I upgrade synth OS to 1.6 does that “kill” that mlan setup?

As far as I know, updating the OS on the XS8 won’t affect mLAN operation.

However, to use mLAN the Utility mode IEEE1394 Driver setting (under AUTO LOAD) has to be “mLAN” (not “FW"), and the driver has to be an older mLAN one (not v1.6.6 for FW).

I suggest that you first get your XS/01x/XP system connected and verify its mLAN operation. (I presume the correct driver is still installed under Win XP.) Once that’s working as desired, then update the XS8’s OS and again verify mLAN operation.

If you decide to use the FW driver (01x standalone), be sure to change the XS8’s IEEE1394 Driver setting to “FW”.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2021 @ 12:53 PM
bibo007
Joined  01-09-2021

Great 😍- the FW utility fixed the problem. Need some tests to be sure but with a medium buffer it seems to work fine. Cool.

Is the audio interface /controller funktion of XS campareable to new usb systems? I know its a high quality production system but it is also bit old ;-)

Would you suggest usage of a legacy driver for 1394?

And yes. I will update XS .

Another question:
I assume it is not possible to run mlan and FW at the same time?

The idea would be to use 01x studio manager via mlan and FW for for XS on one win10x64 system.

(There are some dirver mods available to use mlan in 64bit W10 environemnts. I allready tried this on a second boot partition and it works fine for 01x and ix88 but not for XS—it is not found in patch bay)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2021 @ 07:48 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
bibo007 - 12 January 2021 12:53 PM

Great 😍- the FW utility fixed the problem. Need some tests to be sure but with a medium buffer it seems to work fine. Cool.

I’m glad that did the trick.

bibo007 -

Is the audio interface /controller funktion of XS campareable to new usb systems? I know its a high quality production system but it is also bit old ;-)

An XS with mLAN16E2 (or FW16E) provides 16 buses of digital audio from the XS to your computer (mono, or eight stereo pairs), and three stereo returns to the XS. This is accomplished with low latency and quite good signal-to-noise specs. The equivalent of multiple MIDI ports are also provided. You’ll have to decide if that’s sufficient for your needs.

bibo007 -

Would you suggest usage of a legacy driver for 1394?

Only if the default Windows driver is problematic.

bibo007 -

And yes. I will update XS .

Another question:
I assume it is not possible to run mlan and FW at the same time?

The idea would be to use 01x studio manager via mlan and FW for for XS on one win10x64 system.

(There are some dirver mods available to use mlan in 64bit W10 environemnts. I allready tried this on a second boot partition and it works fine for 01x and ix88 but not for XS—it is not found in patch bay)

Unfortunately, mLAN and FW require different Yamaha drivers. The 01x and i88x need the mLAN driver. I have no knowledge of the modified drivers, and don’t know if the XS would be seen, even if the IEEE1394 setting in Utility mode was “mLAN”.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 13, 2021 @ 12:41 PM
bibo007
Joined  01-09-2021

An XS with mLAN16E2 (or FW16E) provides 16 buses of digital audio from the XS to your computer (mono, or eight stereo pairs), and three stereo returns to the XS. This is accomplished with low latency and quite good signal-to-noise specs. The equivalent of multiple MIDI ports are also provided. You’ll have to decide if that’s sufficient for your needs.

Very good answer. I wasnt aware how much audio power there is accessible in the synth.

Regarding the mlan setup XS is not recognised in: The drivers are 1.66 64bit xp drivers . The modding is mainly in setup process.

It is not XS mlan boot-settings thing. I checked that 1000 times before. Maybe it’ll work after the OS uprgrade.

My question was unclear: I meant, in case I have mlan drivers active, is it possible to use the FW driver simultaniously? I know it is not comaptible or interoperable but maybe they are not affecting each other. In the install notes for FW driver they say to deinstall mlan first. I guess that means : No parallel operation of mlan and fw driver possible…

Thanks again for your competent answers.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif input to Antelope Orion Studio
Next Topic:

MotifXF Factory Default Image ››