mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Unable to connect my motif rack to Mac catalina using the latest USBdriver"

Posted on: January 01, 2021 @ 07:45 AM
chrisprevezas
Total Posts:  9
Joined  07-30-2004

Hello everyone,
I have trouble connecting my motif rack tone generator to my macbook air (MacOS catalina 10.15.7) with the usb cable.I have downloaded and installed the latest usb driver (YSUSB_V204).Although the motif is visible in Mac’s system report USB section, it doesn’t show up in the audio midi setup app meaning that the driver is not working. (Note: I have authorized the driver in Mac’s Preference’s Privacy section, and it looks like it’s been properly installed.The MoRack is switched to the USB mode in the utility section)
I would like to ask you the following questions :
1.Is it the proper usb driver?
2.Will our old motif racks be supported in the future (for that reason, I have not updated to Big Sur yet)
3.Can I bypass any current and future need for a driver update by connecting my rack using the midi I/O ports (instead of USB) of an audio interface and what is the recommended setup (considering that I also want to connect my Alesis Q49 keyboard to the midi In of my rack)?
4. What is the best Mac-compatible , low-cost, audio interface that you’d recommend (I’m between Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 and Presonus Audiobox usb 96, the later equipped with midi I/O porst as well)
Thank you in advance
CP

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 01, 2021 @ 09:18 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

The Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver is for devices that can do audio over USB (such as the MOX and MOXF). The Rack Motif doesn’t, so the driver you’ve installed is the wrong one..

If your Mac uses an Intel processor, then try this driver:
https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/usb_midi_driver_for_mac.html

I suggest that you stay with Catalina until Yamaha indicates there’s a USB-MIDI driver compatible with Big Sur. That may or may not happen, since lately Yamaha is abandoning support for older Motif models - just ask owners of Motifs with FireWire adapters who want to run 64-bit versions of macOS.

Of course, you could use 5-pin MIDI.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2021 @ 04:40 AM
chrisprevezas
Joined  07-30-2004

Issue solved !
Thank you so much SpinDIN for your prompt reply..even on 1/1/21!
The driver worked not only on catalina (10.15.7) but on Big Sur (11.1) as well !!!!
Two birds with one stone :)
A last question about the setup. I want to sent the sound from motif (L/mono + R outputs) to my audio interface (L+R inputs). What kind of cables should I use, TS or TRS ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2021 @ 08:41 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
chrisprevezas - 02 January 2021 04:40 AM

Issue solved !
Thank you so much SpinDIN for your prompt reply..even on 1/1/21!
The driver worked not only on catalina (10.15.7) but on Big Sur (11.1) as well !!!!
Two birds with one stone :)

You’re welcome, and thanks for letting us know that the USB-MIDI driver works with Big Sur.

chrisprevezas -

A last question about the setup. I want to sent the sound from motif (L/mono + R outputs) to my audio interface (L+R inputs). What kind of cables should I use, TS or TRS ?

The Motif outputs are unbalanced, so TS cables are appropriate.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2021 @ 09:31 AM
chrisprevezas
Joined  07-30-2004

Thank you again 5pinDIN !

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 11, 2021 @ 05:07 AM
chrisprevezas
Joined  07-30-2004

An FYI update on the subject by posting the answer from Yamaha’s support line:
-
Thank you very much for your email and your interest in our products.
You can find the most recent version of the driver here: https://de.yamaha.com/de/support/updates/usb_midi_driver_for_mac.html
The Motiv Rack uses a quite common implementation of USB-MIDI, and there is no
indication about discontinuation of the support in future versions.
But anyway, you can also use any standard MIDI-Interface to connect the Rack with your Mac.
Generally, _real_ MIDI-connections are more reliable compared to MIDI-over- USB, because
the MIDI interface itself is electrically insulated and can not cause any noise or hum, which might
occur using USB-MIDI. A professional MIDI Interface featuring several physical MIDI I/O’s allows
a star-shaped connection of your MIDI-gear with your DAW at the center.
This is the most reliably type of wiring, with a minumum latency.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Connecting Mo-Rack to a Big Sur Mac
Next Topic:

What’s the cheapest Motif Rack I can get? ››