mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif ES doesn’t show mlan16 screen"

Posted on: December 01, 2020 @ 08:58 PM
FidelityHigh
Total Posts:  3
Joined  04-29-2010

Hi Fourm,

I haven’t seen this problem posted before.
The mlan16e card is installed in my Motif ES 6, blue light is on. What I don’t have is the added screen inside the Motif with multiple assigned outputs in the utility section. If it doesn’t come on automatically after installation, is there a way to activate it?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 03, 2020 @ 11:34 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Welcome to the forum.

I don’t have experience installing an mLAN16E, but since there hasn’t been any other reply, hopefully some of the following will be helpful:

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/3/325753/mLAN16EEFG1.pdf
http://www.motifator.com/storage/support/mLAN16E_ES.pdf
http://www.motifator.com/storage/support/mLANSystemSetup.pdf

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 09, 2020 @ 06:09 PM
FidelityHigh
Joined  04-29-2010

Thanks 5pin for your reply (I heard the crickets too...lol). I did re-examine those three docs you suggested, went so far as to install the card again making sure the ribbon cable was snug, all with the same result, solid blue light but no output assignment screen in the ES. Here I was thinking all the drama would start AFTER the card was installed. I’m still hoping for any solution, the convenience of having one wire for audio and midi in my daw setup is still something I strongly desire.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 09, 2020 @ 06:47 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
FidelityHigh - 09 December 2020 06:09 PM

Thanks 5pin for your reply (I heard the crickets too...lol).

You’re welcome. Yes, it was a bit too quiet.  :-)

FidelityHigh -

I did re-examine those three docs you suggested, went so far as to install the card again making sure the ribbon cable was snug, all with the same result, solid blue light but no output assignment screen in the ES. Here I was thinking all the drama would start AFTER the card was installed. I’m still hoping for any solution, the convenience of having one wire for audio and midi in my daw setup is still something I strongly desire.

I seem to remember reading that without FW cable connection, the light being on was normal. However, if you’re adventurous, the ES has built-in diagnostics, including for mLAN. Since I’ve never run that, you’d be on your own. Details are in the Service Manual, available here…
https://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_motif_es6_es7_es8.pdf/download.html
Test Program T27 checks mLAN operation.

Note:
For anyone whose ES is working OK, I suggest that you do not run the tests - sometimes problems are introduced if instructions aren’t carefully followed.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 09, 2020 @ 09:05 PM
FidelityHigh
Joined  04-29-2010

Great info 5pin. I did run T27 here’s the read:

27:mLAN :NG
Connection :OK
MIDI #1 :NG
Audio :OFF

That NG rating could very well mean Not Good, not good at all in this case. Could it mean I’ve got a bad mLAN board? Seems I read where Yamaha has a hands-off policy with older mLAN gear, a repair (if it’s worth it)may not be possible with them. Anyone ever have an mLAN 16e board quit on you while the blue stays lit? Still hoping for a solution.

btw: I did have a 1394 cable connected with proper drivers installed. Proper meaning my computer accepted then and was waiting for transmission.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 10, 2020 @ 01:32 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Yes, I’ve always taken NG to mean No Good, so if you ran the test as the manual instructs, that’s indeed not a good sign. I’ve never had to check an mLAN16E, so I can’t offer further insight. I hope someone else who has more experience with this will post. Otherwise, I suggest that you get in contact with Yamaha Support.

[ Ignore ]