mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Clean strong piano"

Posted on: November 30, 2020 @ 12:55 AM
mnchvz
Total Posts:  4
Joined  11-30-2020

Hello guys, recently got a new moxf8 for my church. I’ve been looking for a clean piano voice that cuts sharp through the mix, as I find that the natural grand is a bit muddy in the mid range. I do acknowledge that my pa system may be the culprit but in terms of the keyboard itself is there any tips that I could try to achieve a clean piano sound?

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 30, 2020 @ 07:19 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Welcome to the forum.

A common reason for a “muddy” sound quality is insufficient key velocity. Before doing anything else, you might try adjusting the Velocity Curve.

Press [UTILITY] > [F1]GENERAL > [SF3]KBD
Set VelCurve to “soft”. If you like the result, STORE the change.

Let us know if that did the trick - if not, there are other things that can be done.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 03, 2020 @ 12:54 AM
mnchvz
Joined  11-30-2020

Just tested it out, it greatly improved the sound. Piano now cuts through much better! Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 03, 2020 @ 04:00 AM
Mighty Motif Max
Total Posts:  317
Joined  04-30-2016

Piano S6 Rock is my favorite stock piano for a dense mix.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 03, 2020 @ 10:37 AM
mnchvz
Joined  11-30-2020

I totally agree! I tested it out and I find that it cuts through best, and along with a soft velocity curve its even better.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 03, 2020 @ 10:41 AM
blafot
Total Posts:  105
Joined  05-04-2015

If you have a flash storage you also have the S700 piano.
And the CP1 piano.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 04, 2020 @ 08:14 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
mnchvz - 03 December 2020 12:54 AM

Just tested it out, it greatly improved the sound. Piano now cuts through much better! Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.

You’re welcome - I’m glad that made a difference for you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2020 @ 10:46 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

Several years ago I downloaded a collection of piano voices derived from the onboard samples for the MOX (ala Dave Polich’s). It was created by PSC and the names of the voices begin with PSC and then sometimes the Yamaha voice name they were tweaking.  I recall that there were, for instance, several voices expanding on the Power Grand and Bright and Aggressive piano categories. I can’t remember the particulars, if they were commercially available then (or later), but the library was clearly aimed at generating a lot more choices then the standard Yamaha Voices and they did pretty well. I sat and previewed every voice, kept about a dozen or so (as User voices) that I felt had a distinct character or color and over the years a few of them were just what was needed to either cut through the mix, or add some flavor or feeling.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Transferring MotiF XS data to Moxf
Next Topic:

Moving lead sounds into a performance ››