mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Can I use Headphone output from MOXF to feed a monitor?"

Posted on: September 21, 2020 @ 02:35 AM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

I’m using the little Yamaha M10XU for keyboard AND vocals. The mixer has 1/4 stereo monitor outputs, L and R. The individual channels however don’t have controls for adjusting the signal bussing to the monitor so I’m getting the whole mix and want very little or none of my vocal. 

It occurred to me that if I used the MOXF headphone signal and plugged straight into my Behringer B205D I’d have the keyboard only coming out of that personal monitor which might be ideal. 

I’m alarmingly ignorant when it comes to 1/4 connections—balanced, unbalanced, stereo vs mono, etc., so wondering what cables or adapters I might need. Is there a splitter that can take the headphone output and provide L and R?  If I’m OK with Mono, and go with a single 1/4 plug, will the stereo get “summed” to mono or will I get only one side or the other? 

Any precautions or ideas?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 21, 2020 @ 04:41 AM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi muscarella,

Did you mean the MG10XU?

If so, you’ll see it has an FX send output jack right at the top.

From the manual:

“[FX SEND] jack. For connecting an external effects unit or a monitor system for players. This phone-plug jack outputs the sound adjusted with the [FX] knob.” I’m not clear if by ‘players’, they mean live players or ‘gangsta’ terminology, but that’s what you need to use.

You can hook that output up to your monitor(s) and send as little or as much of any of the channels as you like.

There is one area I don’t quite understand because I don’t have an MG10XU in front of me to test it:

I think they mean those white FX send knobs on every channel send to the [FX SEND] jack.  The confusing part of this could be that the FX send knobs also allow you to send your channels to the built in fx processor, so it may be that by switching the main ‘FX ON’ switch to its OFF position, those same knobs send to the [FX SEND] jack instead. Or maybe they do that at the same time.

Give it a try.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 21, 2020 @ 07:58 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

That was my assumption, too. That those white FX knobs are for sending to the main mix and monitor but all or nothing. And, btw, I only use the mixer FX for my vocal. The keyboard mix and effects are a straight feed from the MOXF.

I’m sure I can’t reduce or eliminate my vocal from the monitor since there is no separate Mon Send knob on any channel.

So my compromise is to put up with the FX in the vocal but add a second monitor that IS just the keyboard because it’s not going into mixer at all. So that sends me back to the question of using the headphone 1/4 inch signal to send direct to a powered monitor.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 21, 2020 @ 11:03 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Yamaha have used some confusing terminology on the MG10XU:

The L and R Monitor Out doesn’t mean for personal monitoring in the live, onstage sense.  It is a main stereo output of the mixer designed for PA or studio monitor speakers.

The white FX send knobs are also the aux send / personal monitoring sends and they output to the [FX SEND] jack.

I’m sure I can’t reduce or eliminate my vocal from the monitor since there is no separate Mon Send knob on any channel.

As mentioned above, the white fx knobs are the mono sends.

In a normal set up, both the MOXF and your vocal mic would be going through the MG10XU, but on different channels. That appears to be how you’ve set yours up too.

The L and R monitor out of the MG10XU should be going to your front of house / PA or whatever is being used for your audience. (not to be confused with personal monitoring, wedges or in-ear)

The white FX knobs are then used to send as little or as much of each of your MOXF and your mic to your personal monitoring system via the [FX SEND] jack.  This requires additional cabling between the [FX SEND] jack and your personal monitor(s).

If you want less of your vocal in your personal monitors and more of your MOXF, then you can adjust those amounts via the white fx send knobs.

What I don’t know is how that works with the built in fx on your MG10XU, which is a minor point, but what I’m saying to you is that you can absolutely do what you need, based on the info you’ve given.

You don’t need to change your set up as a compromise.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2020 @ 03:33 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

OK. And thanks for walking through it with me, cause some of the language and terminology IS confusing and I’ve never really done any more with the MX10XU other then run the MOXF stereo 1/4 into one stereo channel, kill the FX dial and then plug in my microphone into channel 1 and sweeten with one of the onboard FX presets.

While we are talking about the MG10XU I have a question about running stereo. I’ve tried plugging my L and R feeds from the MOXF into two different mono channels, forgoing the stereo channel cause I’d kind of like to have all 3 EQ dials to fine-tune based on the venue acoustics, etc.

Now, you would think (or I would anyway) that it would sound exactly the same as the stereo channel, with all dials “flat” for comparison, but it doesn’t really. Is this just in my head or is there a quality difference?  It also begs the question WHY the stereo channels don’t offer 3 EQ dials.

Finally, is the channel with the 1/4 marked Mono/L the ONLY channel that can be used to go Mono?

And again, thanks for dialoguing with me on this. I now have my Behringer Personal Monitor. I would prefer to NOT have any FX muddying things on my monitor, so I will also be trying for the first time to kill the System Effects on the MOXF and only use the MG10XU for Common FX. I find the MOXF Rev-X to be over the top to my ear and using the MG10XU FX puts a lot more Reverb/Chorus presets at my finger tips. I will putter around with the various inputs and signal flows and dials and report back here.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2020 @ 10:51 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

Well, I tried various plugs and routing and, with only the MG10XU to work with, I couldn’t figure out any way to take my vocals out of the Mono Monitor 1/4. Nor the FX for that matter. The FX dials become AUX Monitor Volume dials if the internal FX are not being used, which is another compromise inherent in the MG10XU ultra-compressed design. So I put a 1/4 stereo splitter into the headphone jack and split the two sides to 2 channels of my Behringer personal monitor and that gives me my monitor and I can also keep that signal “dry” if I’m willing to use one of the MG10XU FX presets for my FOH. My biggest complaint now is the quality of the Behringer output. It’s OK as a down & dirty monitor but I’d never run my show through it for an audience, which makes the price tag of the Behringer a disappointment. (Maybe should have gone for the Mackie or Galaxy.)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 23, 2020 @ 02:41 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013
muscarella - 13 November 2020 03:33 PM

While we are talking about the MG10XU I have a question about running stereo. I’ve tried plugging my L and R feeds from the MOXF into two different mono channels, forgoing the stereo channel cause I’d kind of like to have all 3 EQ dials to fine-tune based on the venue acoustics, etc.

Now, you would think (or I would anyway) that it would sound exactly the same as the stereo channel, with all dials “flat” for comparison, but it doesn’t really. Is this just in my head or is there a quality difference?  It also begs the question WHY the stereo channels don’t offer 3 EQ dials.

It’s not just in your head.

It’s likely that you haven’t recreated the stereo image that you had when you used a single MG10XU stereo channel for your MOXF.  When using two mono channels on a mixer for a stereo instrument or device, you’ll need to pan the channel for the left MOXF output 100% left, and pan the channel for the right MOXF output 100% right.

When I say 100 percent, I mean until you can’t turn it any further. Hard left and hard right.

Finally, is the channel with the 1/4 marked Mono/L the ONLY channel that can be used to go Mono?

No, the fx send is also a mono output.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Need monitoring set-up ideas
Next Topic:

Mackie SRM350 clean-up ››