mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "New to forum"

Page 2 of 3
Posted on: August 25, 2020 @ 10:37 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
PeteParsons - 25 August 2020 07:28 PM

In Pattern, is there a way I can scroll thru arps while playing something I already recorded. Currently I have to hit record to access the arps which means I can’t try various arps without recording them while playing the track I already payed down.

If I correctly understand what you’re describing and asking…

Notes played by an Arp are recorded as MIDI data by the sequencer. That is, the Note-on/Note-off events generated by the Arp become part of the sequence. When playing back the sequence the arpeggiator isn’t playing those notes, so choosing a different Arp than the one recorded wouldn’t matter.

If I misunderstood your question, then please explain further.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 25, 2020 @ 11:16 PM
PeteParsons
Total Posts:  144
Joined  08-21-2020

I was afraid I wasn’t clear. I recorded a brass track in pattern. Kinda syncopated. Now I want to find a drum arp that will correspond and fit the brass track. While the brass track is playing, I would like to scroll thru the drum arps until I find something that fits well with the syncopation of the brass track.

The problem is, because I have to hit the record button to access the arps, I can not hit play so I can hear the brass track while searching for the right ARP to match it because the sequencer will start recording.

I’m looking for a way to scroll thru the arps while the brass track is playing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 26, 2020 @ 08:16 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
PeteParsons - 25 August 2020 11:16 PM

I was afraid I wasn’t clear. I recorded a brass track in pattern. Kinda syncopated. Now I want to find a drum arp that will correspond and fit the brass track. While the brass track is playing, I would like to scroll thru the drum arps until I find something that fits well with the syncopation of the brass track.

OK, got it.

PeteParsons -

The problem is, because I have to hit the record button to access the arps, I can not hit play so I can hear the brass track while searching for the right ARP to match it because the sequencer will start recording.

I’m looking for a way to scroll thru the arps while the brass track is playing.

Install the Yamaha XS Editor appropriate for your computer’s OS, available here…
https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/index.html?c=music_production&k=Motif+XS
...and sync it to the “Current” Pattern on the XS. You can then play your brass track, and choose Arps for a drum track on the XS with the Editor.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 26, 2020 @ 10:54 AM
PeteParsons
Joined  08-21-2020

Thanks. I haven’t used the editor yet but I do have it installed. I was hoping I could do it on the XS.

For expediency’s sake I will reverse engineer it for now. I’ll find a drum track I like, then rerecord the brass track.

Trying to keep it simple for now. Working on a project that I’m trying to get done ASAP.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 26, 2020 @ 11:02 AM
PeteParsons
Joined  08-21-2020

I wanted to thank you for your prompt responses. Just curious, you seem to be the only one who responds. Has the number of members on the XS forum diminished? Years ago when I was on the ES forum, there were tons of people that responded. When the XS came out, after a bit most of the attention went to the XS forum.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 26, 2020 @ 11:04 AM
PeteParsons
Joined  08-21-2020

Another question. Is Bad Mister still around? I met him a couple of times. Nice guy.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 26, 2020 @ 03:57 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
PeteParsons - 26 August 2020 10:54 AM

Thanks. I haven’t used the editor yet but I do have it installed. I was hoping I could do it on the XS.

For expediency’s sake I will reverse engineer it for now. I’ll find a drum track I like, then rerecord the brass track.

Trying to keep it simple for now. Working on a project that I’m trying to get done ASAP.

I was thinking that it’s usual to lay down a drum track first, but I try not to get into workflow discussions because it’s a personal thing.

Here’s a way to audition Arps on the XS (or XF):
1) Select a blank/initialized Song
2) Press [MIXING] > [EDIT] > [1] (to edit Part 1)
3) Press [F1]Voice > [SF1]Voice
4) Set Param. with Voice (Parameter with Voice) on
5) Press [F2]ARP Main > [SF1]ARP1
6) Press [ARPEGGIO ON/OFF] (turn Arps on)
7) Set Switch (Arpeggio Switch) on
8) Set Hold (Arpeggio Hold) on
9) Set Voice with ARP (Voice with Arpeggio) on
10) Select the Arp you want to audition
11) Press a key or keys
12) Repeat step 10

Step 8 is optional - it determines whether or not keys need to be held down to hear the entire Arp. Step 9 ensures that a Voice appropriate for the Arp Type is selected - other Voices could be chosen, if desired.

STORE the Mixing if you want to use this more than once. If selecting the stored Mixing anew, follow steps 2, 5, 10~12.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 26, 2020 @ 04:21 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
PeteParsons - 26 August 2020 11:02 AM

I wanted to thank you for your prompt responses.

I’m happy to help when I can.

PeteParsons -

Just curious, you seem to be the only one who responds. Has the number of members on the XS forum diminished? Years ago when I was on the ES forum, there were tons of people that responded. When the XS came out, after a bit most of the attention went to the XS forum.

I suspect that after a while most users of a particular model either figure out how to do what they need, or move on to another synth. The XS was last in production about 10 years ago, so perhaps it’s not surprising that participation has waned. Nevertheless, an XS is still a very capable workstation.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 26, 2020 @ 04:34 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
PeteParsons - 26 August 2020 11:04 AM

Another question. Is Bad Mister still around? I met him a couple of times. Nice guy.

B_M hasn’t participated in the Motifator forums for about six years. However, several DVDs/Videos available from the Motifator Shop and Keyfax have segments taught by him. You might want to see if any interest you - they can help significantly getting “up to speed” with the XS. (In case anyone wonders, I’m not a Keyfax employee - I mentioned the videos because they helped me when I first got my Motifs.)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 26, 2020 @ 07:41 PM
PeteParsons
Joined  08-21-2020

I noticed you have the XF as well. Any significant improvement in the sequencer?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 27, 2020 @ 09:27 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
PeteParsons - 26 August 2020 07:41 PM

I noticed you have the XF as well. Any significant improvement in the sequencer?

The sequencer operation in the XF is pretty much the same as that of the XS. I can think of one difference - Arps are considered part of the “Sequencer Block”, and the XS has 6,633 Preset ones while the XF has 7,881 of them.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 27, 2020 @ 02:50 PM
PeteParsons
Joined  08-21-2020

I find this a bit odd. When using job to copy phrases, the copy does not appear unless I go out of pattern (to song) and then back to pattern at which time it finally appears. I’ve tried hitting other buttons instead of actually leaving pattern but nothing I tried worked.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 27, 2020 @ 02:57 PM
PeteParsons
Joined  08-21-2020

Also I have no memory installed. I saw 1gb for $25 on eBay. I don’t remember what I installed on my ES. I usually in the past used it for sample voices. Do you think 1gb will suffice?

FYI.  There are 2 memory boards equaling 1gb. Not sure if that makes a difference.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 27, 2020 @ 03:42 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
PeteParsons - 27 August 2020 02:50 PM

I find this a bit odd. When using job to copy phrases, the copy does not appear unless I go out of pattern (to song) and then back to pattern at which time it finally appears. I’ve tried hitting other buttons instead of actually leaving pattern but nothing I tried worked.

Sorry, that’s not sufficient information to determine what’s happening. Copying within the “current” pattern, or to another, etc?

If you detail all the steps you’re taking, it should then be possible to see where the problem is.

Perhaps you’ll find this support article helpful:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/tweak_of_the_week_understanding_the_motif_xs_copy_jobs

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 27, 2020 @ 04:10 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
PeteParsons - 27 August 2020 02:57 PM

Also I have no memory installed. I saw 1gb for $25 on eBay. I don’t remember what I installed on my ES. I usually in the past used it for sample voices. Do you think 1gb will suffice?

FYI.  There are 2 memory boards equaling 1gb. Not sure if that makes a difference.

The DIMMs have to be installed as a pair. Two 512 MB DIMMs, as long as they meet necessary specs, should suffice for most usage. See pages 295-296 of the XS Owner’s Manual for information.

While the XS will accept a pair of 1 GB DIMMs (2 GB total), contrary to what the manual indicates as maximum, they’re often difficult to come by, usually expensive, and probably not required for most applications.

Since not all DIMMs are compatible with the XS, I suggest buying only from a supplier which guarantees that what they’re selling will work with the XS.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 3

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif XS with Cubase 10.5
Next Topic:

Motif XS and MainStage 3 relationship...possible? ››