mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XS8, Cubase 10.5.30 and OS 10.15.4 Catalina connection; Presonus 1824c"

Posted on: May 13, 2020 @ 09:51 PM
KK Studio
Total Posts:  4
Joined  03-08-2009

My MOTIF XS8 is connected through a Presonus 1824c interface and is working well with MIDI and S/PDIF connections. The XS Editor, set for USB, shows up on my iMac screen but is “Offline” and shows “Timeout Error” when I try to connect.

I suspect software incompatibility may be preventing connection but would appreciate any insight or possible fixes. Or am I just out of luck as time marches on?

Larry Bricker
Waterloo, ON
Canada

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2020 @ 07:30 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

The “Time Out Error” message indicates a communication problem between the XS and the computer software.

The first thing to check is that the XS is set up correctly. From Utility mode, press [F5]Control > [SF2]MIDI and make sure that “MIDI In/Out” is set to “USB”. Be sure to STORE any change.

If that doesn’t resolve the problem…
1) Which version of the USB-MIDI Driver is installed on the iMac? Please be precise.
2) Will the Editor run properly standalone (not as a VST under Cubase)?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2020 @ 02:47 PM
mivey4
Total Posts:  79
Joined  12-02-2011
KK Studio - 13 May 2020 09:51 PM

My MOTIF XS8 is connected through a Presonus 1824c interface and is working well with MIDI and S/PDIF connections. The XS Editor, set for USB, shows up on my iMac screen but is “Offline” and shows “Timeout Error” when I try to connect.

I suspect software incompatibility may be preventing connection but would appreciate any insight or possible fixes. Or am I just out of luck as time marches on?

Larry Bricker
Waterloo, ON
Canada

What’s your DAW? Last I checked, Cubase doesn’t have a 10.5.30 version and I’ve been constantly following the updates and upgrades.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2020 @ 04:15 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

It seems that the latest version of Cubase on Steinberg’s site is 10.5.12.

In addition, it appears that Yamaha hasn’t updated the XS Editor for keyboard models for quite a while, and possibly may never do so again. The most recent Mac version of it I found covers up to OS 10.11.

They did apparently update the Editor for the Rack XS.
See https://download.yamaha.com/files/tcm:39-1145524

You might want to contact Yamaha Support and ask them if they’ve abandoned XS owners.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 15, 2020 @ 09:05 PM
KK Studio
Joined  03-08-2009

Thanks so much for your replies 5pinDIN and mivey4.

Have checked the XS setup and MIDI In/Out comes up correctly in XS Utility.

Updated the USB-MIDI Driver to um132-2mx-2.

Not familiar with how to try running the editor as standalone.

Oops, DAW is Cubase 10.5.12. Version.  It’s the current Wavelab version that is 10.5.30.

Have installed motif-rack_xs_editor_sa_vst_169_mac.

Both the Rack Editor and the Presonus Studio 1824c are now recognized in the XS AutoSync.

I was a hopeful but unfortunately we are still offline. We must be close though.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 16, 2020 @ 06:30 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
KK Studio - 15 May 2020 09:05 PM

Thanks so much for your replies 5pinDIN and mivey4.

Have checked the XS setup and MIDI In/Out comes up correctly in XS Utility.

Updated the USB-MIDI Driver to um132-2mx-2.

That appears to be the correct USB-MIDI Driver for OS 10.15.

KK Studio -

Not familiar with how to try running the editor as standalone.

Oops, DAW is Cubase 10.5.12. Version.  It’s the current Wavelab version that is 10.5.30.

Have installed motif-rack_xs_editor_sa_vst_169_mac.

Both the Rack Editor and the Presonus Studio 1824c are now recognized in the XS AutoSync.

I was a hopeful but unfortunately we are still offline. We must be close though.

The Rack Editor isn’t meant to work with XS keyboard models (XS6/7/8). I only mentioned the XS Rack Editor to show that Yamaha had updated it, probably because the XS Rack model had been available much more recently.

Unless I’ve missed it somewhere, it appears that Yamaha has not recently updated the XS (keyboard) Editor. Contacting Yamaha Support is my suggestion.

While computers might be “outdated” in just a few years, synthesizers can be viable for many decades. Computer manufacturers don’t seem to care about that, and synth manufacturers apparently don’t feel obligated to update their software to accommodate newer computers and their operating systems in order to work with older synth models.

I’m tired of the game. My XS and XF (and other synths) are capable of making music to a level I’m satisfied with. It’s unlikely that I’m going to purchase another synth in my lifetime.  My personal approach to the problem is to keep legacy computers (running older operating systems and software) that will support the synths I already own.

Sorry for the rant…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 16, 2020 @ 04:29 PM
KK Studio
Joined  03-08-2009

Appreciate the insight.  That puts me in the same position I guess. But you are right, I can make music with the XS to a satisfactory level so I’ll go with that for now if Yamaha support has no further help to offer.  Thanks again.

[ Ignore ]