mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Editing on MOXf6 AND MOXf8"

Posted on: March 13, 2020 @ 05:34 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

Any tips or cautions about loading files edited on MOXF6 into MOXf8 and vice versa? I recall there were a few things having to do with octave selection (cause of keyboard length difference) when I did a small amount of this as I replaced my MOX8 with the MOX6 many years ago. But I’m about to do some major re-editing, re-recording, of several Songs/Patterns/Performances created on the MOXF6 but I have access only to a borrowed MOXf8. Ultimately I’ll be coming back to the MOXf6 with the updated files.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 13, 2020 @ 06:04 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Files created on an MOXF8 will load without problem into the MOXF6 (presuming flash memory won’t be an issue). If you optimize velocity response for the MOXF8, you may notice a slight variation on the MOXF6 due to key action differences.

Otherwise, you might want to pay attention to positioning of any splits. The MOXF8 keys (with the default OCTAVE button setting) range from A-1 to C7, while the MOXF6 range is from C1 to C6. Perhaps putting a bit of tape on the MOXF8’s C1 and C6 keys while programming would make it easy to remember the MOXF6’s unshifted limits.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 16, 2020 @ 11:13 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

Thanks. Interesting idea to put tape on those keys to keep MOXF6 in mind while editing on the 8.  What about things like the range of keys that will trigger an Arp?  And, cause it’s kind of related, (and also might be a dumb question) is there any difference in tonal quality of a voice that’s had its pitch changed by the Octave Button versus going into the menu for that Voice and shift (essentially transpose) it 12 steps? I do that so I don’t have to remember to select + or - on the Octave buttons to get the pitch I want but wonder if the timbre and other characteristics of that piano is more accurate using one method over the other.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 17, 2020 @ 08:27 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Whatever you program on the MOXF8 will play the same way on the MOXF6. The only difference will be which keys can be accessed without using the OCTAVE buttons. If it sounds right on the 8, it will as well on the 6.

There’s no difference in tonal quality when using OCTAVE buttons versus programming Note Shift. (Coarse Pitch, however, will affect the sound.)

The MOXF8 has one octave of keys above the MOXF6, and slightly more than an octave below. With the MOXF8 keys marked with tape, it should be easy not only to see the MOXF6’s range, but what going up or down an octave with the [+]/[-] buttons on the MOXF6 would do.

By the way, Transpose and Note Shift might seem to be interchangeable terms, but they’re not as far as Yamaha is concerned. See:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/455226/

[ Ignore ]