mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Calling up Groups of 4 Parts for quick tweaking in Song mode"

Posted on: March 09, 2020 @ 04:51 AM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

I know that pressing both Knob Function 1 and 2 at same time will bring up a one group of 4 Parts (1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16) of the current Song for editing. 

But it seems the only way to move to a specific group is to actually press a Part button that is included in one of those groups. So to get to 5-8 you need to press a Part button, for instance, 6 and then the display automatically offers you 5-8.

I’m finding this feature (as I understand it) problematic when I’m playing live along with a Song or Pattern. If I have MIDI events and a voice on each of Parts 5-8, pressing any of those Part buttons is going to Mute that Part. If I’m just wanting to turn the volume down a little on Part 6, I’m being forced to turn OFF Part 6 when I’m merely trying to select it so I can hear it and tweak it. This is very troublesome should I need (as I have) to quickly tweak a track with a Song running and I’m busy playing and singing along. Having to go into Mix mode and peer at that tiny display and manually cursor around is just not feasible.

Is there any other way to move or toggle through the 4 groups without messing around with the Mix or Part buttons? For Mixing at leisure in the studio it’s a handy feature, but when playing live it’s a pain.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2020 @ 04:59 AM
Hank_Buchek
Total Posts:  54
Joined  12-02-2013

Hi,

if I got you right....there’s no need to make use of the function buttons.

Select your song (pattern), press “TRACK” on the right side, select the track number you want to tweak. Now you sould be able to change the volume with the appropriate button on the upper left side.

Best wishes,
Hank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2020 @ 11:10 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

I am not at my MOXf and wont be back to it for a few days. But I’m not sure what you are describing is a solution. If the Song/Pattern is playing along, the active tracks are lit as per the Mix, including the one I’m playing on track 16. If I hear something I don’t like, let’s say the bass (track 9) is too loud, you are suggesting I hit the main Track LED button on the far right (next to Performance Control) button. And that will cause the display to do what exactly BEFORE I touch anything else? (Just trying to stay in sync with your steps.) And then you say “select the track number”—but are you actually saying “press button 9” (to cue the knob functions on the left) AND that pressing that track button will NOT turn off (Mute) track 9? Cause that’s where the procedural hang-up that I’m trying to describe occurs. I’m pretty sure I’ve tried what you are describing, although I believe the main Track LED is usually already on (in Song mode anyway).  Sorry I don’t have the synth in front of me, to follow along.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2020 @ 08:21 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

OK. So I was able to sit down at the MOXf again and confirm (to myself anyway) that the dilemma I am describing is NOT solved as Hank suggests. If I am using Part 16 as MY instrument when I change to a new Song I have to physically push Part 16 button because the keyboard defaults to Part ONE being lit. So when I cal up a Song, what I see is Part 1 button lit. I press Part 16, Part 1 light goes out, 16 is now lit and THEN I hit play and begin the Song.

The only button LIT in this mode of Song Play is 16. Part 9 is where I always put the bass instrument in my arrangements. So the tune is going along and damn that bass it just too loud for this room. I know the culprit is on 9, but if I push the 9 Part Button, I kill the Voice of my instrument altogether and if I were to keep hitting keys, I’m now playing the bass instrument. So that makes sense, but it’s also not very helpful if my desire is to quickly turn the Volume down on the bass. So I hit Part 16 again, so I don’t mess up the performance and cause I only have two hands. And if I hit the two function knob buttons at same time (and Volume is selected) I will see Parts 13-16 displayed. Which is not going to help me much. The only way to make it display 9-12 is by touching one of those Part buttons—which does what I described above.

I’ve tried work-arounds, but they’re not practical in the middle of a Song. Obviously, if I go to MIX I will see all the tracks but the display is super tiny and now I have to cursor over and find the even more tiny Volume ribbon and somehow turn that channel down in the middle of a song, singing and playing my instrument.

So it would be nice to be able to somehow toggle or ??? that would show me 9-12 EVEN though Part 16 is lit.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2020 @ 03:28 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

The Yamaha MOXF Editor can be used to adjust volume for any Song Part while any other Part is being played. However, it’s obviously not practical to be operating a mouse during a gig.

The same SysEx message that the Editor sends can be used more directly.

The following SysEx message adjusts Song/Pattern Part volume:
F0 43 10 7F 1C 00 37 pp 0E vv F7
where…
pp = Part number, 00~0F (1~16)
vv = Volume level, 00~7F (0~127)

Examples:
F0 43 10 7F 1C 00 37 04 0E 64 F7
would set Part 5 Volume = 100

F0 43 10 7F 1C 00 37 08 0E 50 F7
would set Part 9 Volume = 80

A MIDI foot controller (pedal) can be programmed to send such messages. Most such controllers have several switches. Of course, whether that’s practical depends on knowing in advance which Parts and volume levels you’ll need.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Yamaha MOXF6 keybed action/quality
Next Topic:

Data transfer faster using USB-3 ? ››