mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Turn of MIDI CC messages (using the Motif ES as masterkeyboad)"

Posted on: February 13, 2020 @ 10:24 AM
Michiel D
Total Posts:  191
Joined  11-16-2009

Hi there,

The Motif ES is still the heart of my synth setup, works just fine. Recently I added a small analog synth to my rig, and for the first time there was a problem in the MIDI communication. The new synth, a Dreadbox Erebus, gets ‘jammed’, notes get stuck, the synth won’t respond anymore to the keyboard… : (

Since all other synths connected at the same way work just fine, there could be a problem with the MIDI receive of the Erebus, that could be adressed by making the MIDI messages more simple/ less complex .. this is a suggestion I got from the friendly folks of Dreadbox:

“As the erebus does not accept Velocity , aftertouch, and other cc orders, you should turn these off , as its a possibility that the synth is overwhelmed by messages, and gets stuck”.

My question is, how can I turn of this CC messages off, for just 1 track/part/ MIDI channel, adressing the Erebus?
Don’t know if this is possible ...(I work mostly in Pattern mode).

Thanks for any help/ advice!
Kind regards,

Michiel

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2020 @ 10:59 AM
Michiel D
Joined  11-16-2009

I tried turning all those MIDI messages ‘off’ in Mixing mode/ Edit/ Part 3/ un-check all boxers (AT, BC, Velocity, etc.).
Unfortunately the problem isn’t solved. Strange thing is: when I connect the Erebus to the MIDI out of my SY77, I can play the Erebus just fine, when I connect it to the MIDI out of the Motif ES, it has all kind of problems/ is not playable.
All other synths I connect to my ES (OUT/ Through) just work fine too ... don’t know .... a bit. frustraties

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2020 @ 11:06 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Michiel D - 13 February 2020 10:24 AM

Thanks for any help/ advice!
Kind regards,

Michiel

How is your XF memory situation? You never did reply.

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/481547/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2020 @ 03:15 PM
Michiel D
Joined  11-16-2009

The memory issue with the XF is solved, had some duplicates, and had to let go some drum set voices (with samples) to get the best of the best from about 10-20 voice sets into the XF/ Flashboards. Now the XF is fully loaded!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2020 @ 03:47 PM
Michiel D
Joined  11-16-2009

I’m afraid the Erebus is designed to communicate with CV connections in the first place…
If there’s anything I could try with the Motif ES settings, thanks for advice.

I guess newer is not always better, in this case the SY77 can be used flawless to play the Erebus.
So for now I play the SY77 part on the ES keybed, and then record the Erebus ‘live’ playing the keybed of the SY77.
It’s the one connection that works for the Erebus (peculiar....)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2020 @ 05:29 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Michiel D - 13 February 2020 10:59 AM

I tried turning all those MIDI messages ‘off’ in Mixing mode/ Edit/ Part 3/ un-check all boxers (AT, BC, Velocity, etc.).

I can’t tell for sure, but based on the above it seems that you turned off Receive Switch settings (page 236 of the ES Owner’s Manual). If so, that won’t help because it only turns off what the ES Part can receive - it doesn’t affect what’s sent via MIDI.

Michiel D -

Unfortunately the problem isn’t solved. Strange thing is: when I connect the Erebus to the MIDI out of my SY77, I can play the Erebus just fine, when I connect it to the MIDI out of the Motif ES, it has all kind of problems/ is not playable.
All other synths I connect to my ES (OUT/ Through) just work fine too ... don’t know .... a bit. frustraties

There’s a MIDI Filter you could try. It works for sequences (Song/Pattern), although not what’s played from the keyboard in those modes. See page 262 of the Owner’s Manual. This may or may not help, depending on what data the Erebus is having a problem with.

You also might try using the XF with a MIDI utility such as MIDIOX, which will allow the incoming keyboard data to be filtered. The output could then be routed to the XF’s Port 3, allowing a connection via the XF’s MIDI-out. See MIDI Channels and MIDI Ports on page 57 of the XF Owner’s Manual.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif ES8 and PLG150DX diagnostic
Next Topic:

Converting motf es sounds to montage ››