mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Free notation software from Steinberg"

Posted on: January 16, 2020 @ 12:15 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Steinberg is offering a free version of Dorico music notation software - Dorico SE. I haven’t downloaded it myself, since it requires Windows 10 or a recent Mac OS, which I don’t use. You have to register with Steinberg to access the download.

EDIT: Sorry - after having seen the Steinberg Terms & Conditions for the download, which I think are unreasonably intrusive, I’ve removed the link.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2020 @ 02:54 PM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013

Interesting offer from Steinberg, but a few questions right off the bat.

1.  SE allows scoring for up to two players?  huh?  Many of the musicians, composers, arrangers out there who really use sheet music software, scoring software etc., typically do so precisely because they have more than 2 instruments to score.  I’m not saying that notation software is not used to capture solo, or duets, but the more typical use requires more than two staves.

2.  Why wouldn’t Steinberg simply focus on expanding the notation capabilities of Cubase (.i.e score editor, key editor, drum editor, etc), that are already notation functions in Cubase?  With a little effort multi staff scores can be produced using Cubase. So what’s Steinberg’s real play here with Dorico?

I use Finale for notation.  And Finale has progressed to the place that it can almost be used as a full blown DAW integrating Midi, Audio, Plugins, Midi Notation etc.

3.  So is the Steinberg Dorico effort really trying to deal with the fact that Finale might be encroaching on Cubase territory among the composer, arranger, and film scoring crowd?  Many in that crowd have adopted Finale as a score driven DAW.  Is Dorico really attempt to address this?  hmmm.....?  Is Steinberg trying to curtail Finale’s growing market share?

Dorico SE free hmmm....?  Up to two players hmmm....?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2020 @ 04:25 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
lastmonk - 16 January 2020 02:54 PM

[...]

It’s a promotion, and obviously Steinberg hopes that some users will upgrade to pay versions. However, based on the description I’ve read of what you get with the download, there might be those who will find some value in the free SE version, even with its limitations.

Just to make sure it’s understood, I don’t have any connection with Steinberg, and I don’t use any of their products. I posted the information in case some Motifator members might like to try the software.

If anyone does download and install Dorico SE, please let the rest of us know about your experience with it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 17, 2020 @ 12:28 AM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013
5pinDIN - 16 January 2020 04:25 PM
lastmonk - 16 January 2020 02:54 PM

[...]

It’s a promotion, and obviously Steinberg hopes that some users will upgrade to pay versions. However, based on the description I’ve read of what you get with the download, there might be those who will find some value in the free SE version, even with its limitations.

Just to make sure it’s understood, I don’t have any connection with Steinberg, and I don’t use any of their products. I posted the information in case some Motifator members might like to try the software.

If anyone does download and install Dorico SE, please let the rest of us know about your experience with it.

Yes, I’m very curious to see what others think.  But I’m also curious what Steinberg’s midi scoring plan is.  Cubase has a Midi

Score Editor
List Editor
Key Editor
Drum Editor

which can be used for midi notation applications.  So is Steinberg’s
plan to integrate Dorico with Cubase????  and replace Cubase’s existing score notation/editing capabilities???

All of these products take so much time and investment to learn, once you’ve finally learned the lingo there is typically resistance to move to something else.

Finale and Sibelius are the top notation scoring programs on the market.  If a musician is serious about notation programs one of those is usually the first stop.  I think Steinberg’s Dorico might want a piece of that pie, but I’m wondering whether Steinberg is going to abandon the midi notation capabilities that are already in Cubase.

Its always interesting to see what’s going on with midi sequencing, Yamaha and Steinberg.  Recall how Yamaha released Montage with no real sequencer editing capabilities, and later had to reverse course. This scoring stuff is definitely part of the whole sequencing thing (for those of us who use notation programs).  For some of us, Pattern Sequencing and Midi Notation Scoring are related.  and the long range industry trajectory is at least of some interest

[ Ignore ]