mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOXF8 worth repairing?"

Posted on: January 14, 2020 @ 02:39 PM
DallasXanadu
Total Posts:  76
Joined  05-20-2015

The right channel audio out on my MOXF8 starting getting spotty, then quit entirely. I’ve been running through the left/mono channel for the last couple of weeks, but it’s not ideal. I’ve got a couple of local repair shops in Dallas that I’ve used before but I haven’t yet taken it in for an estimate, which would take about 2 weeks to even get, at both shops. I’m wondering if anybody else has had work done on their MOXF, and what I’m looking at (approximately) to have it fixed.

Another option I’m considering is just grabbing a new one - GC is blowing them out for $1,299 down the street - then selling the one I have now, either fixed or not. I’ve been gigging with this one for a while and I’ve got it programmed such that the thought of having to learn a new board and get it dialed in just makes me tired. I’m assuming my backup would seamlessly load into a new MOXF, but I’ve never tried it. I guess another option would be to rent one while mine is in the shop. Or take advantage of the GC 45-day return policy.... (not really)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2020 @ 02:56 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Are both channels functional at the PHONES jack?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2020 @ 02:59 PM
DallasXanadu
Joined  05-20-2015
5pinDIN - 14 January 2020 02:56 PM

Are both channels functional at the PHONES jack?

That’s an excellent question, and one I will be able to answer when I rustle up a pair of headphones. Somebody stole mine, and it’s the one thing on my Christmas list I didn’t get.... :(

I’m assuming if I’m getting both ears, the problem might be more superficial than if I’m not?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2020 @ 03:16 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
DallasXanadu - 14 January 2020 02:59 PM

[...]
I’m assuming if I’m getting both ears, the problem might be more superficial than if I’m not?

If both channels are working there, then the possible location of the fault is much more limited. In addition, the PHONES output could be used in place of the two line outputs. Some people will tell you that the signal is significantly degraded there in comparison to line outputs, but that’s not really the case. You’d likely notice little or no difference, other than one of level.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2020 @ 03:23 PM
DallasXanadu
Joined  05-20-2015
5pinDIN - 14 January 2020 03:16 PM
DallasXanadu - 14 January 2020 02:59 PM

[...]

If both channels are working there, then the possible location of the fault is much more limited. In addition, the PHONES output could be used in place of the two line outputs. Some people will tell you that the signal is significantly degraded there in comparison to line outputs, but that’s not really the case. You’d likely notice little or no difference, other than one of level.

Nice. I’ll run out of the phones jack into my mixer and see if I’m getting both channels. You might have just saved me a chunk of change (in addition to the frustration you’ve saved me from over the years).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2020 @ 04:53 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
DallasXanadu - 14 January 2020 03:23 PM

Nice. I’ll run out of the phones jack into my mixer and see if I’m getting both channels. You might have just saved me a chunk of change (in addition to the frustration you’ve saved me from over the years).

OK. Of course, you’ll need a 1/4” TRS to dual 1/4” TS adapter or cable, sometimes referred to as “stereo breakout” or “insert”. Good luck.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2020 @ 05:23 PM
DallasXanadu
Joined  05-20-2015
5pinDIN - 14 January 2020 04:53 PM
DallasXanadu - 14 January 2020 03:23 PM

OK. Of course, you’ll need a 1/4” TRS to dual 1/4” TS adapter or cable, sometimes referred to as “stereo breakout” or “insert”. Good luck.

Yep, I had actually already ordered one of those online this morning, figuring that it might be part of my shoestring (and hopefully temporary) solution! Thanks again.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Tempo Changes "live" AND when reprogramming
Next Topic:

MEQ the MOXF ››