mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "I need some help with Flash Memory."

Posted on: January 10, 2020 @ 07:00 PM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012

Hi everyone, Happy New Year!

I just purchased a MOXF6 for gigging live, and it has a Flash Memory Module installed.

As my MOXF8 does not have Flash Memory, and what I know about Flash Memory wouldn’t span an octave on a MOXF, I need some help :)

When powered on, I get the following message:

New Flash Memory Module
Please load waveform data

So..................................................................................................................

1) How do I disable the MOXF6 from saying that message every time I turn it on?

2) How and from where do I load waveform data?

3) Unless I do #2, will #1 not be possible?  :)

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2020 @ 07:32 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Let’s start with a couple of questions…
Is the MOXF6 new, or just “new to you”?

What text do you see on the display if you press [FILE] > [F6]FLASH?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2020 @ 08:01 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Hi 5pinDIN!

1) The MOXF6 was purchased for playing live (I learned very quickly that I didn’t want to lug around a 88 key keyboard, not to mention how much space it can take up on smaller stages), so I know it’s no different than my beloved MOXF8 except for the number of keys, AND now having Flash Memory :)

2) The text reads:
a) Flash Memory Expansion Module Format, and above that it says PRESS ENTER TO FORMAT (something tells me I might have to Format it? :) ).
b) Free 891MB/ 1024MB

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2020 @ 08:36 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

You seem to have misunderstood my first question. I was trying to determine if the MOXF6 you purchased was new or used. However, the answer to the second question implies that it’s used, since the flash module has about 133MB (1024 minus 891) of samples on it which you apparently were unaware of.

Did the seller provide you with any MOXF files? If so, you might be able to get access to what’s on the module. If not, you could format the module and load your own material.

Some info about MOXF flash module operation:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/moxf_flash_board
http://www.easysounds.eu/MOXF_FlashGuide_en.pdf

There are some sample libraries available from Motifator that could be installed to the 1GB module you have…
http://shop.motifator.com/index.php/voice-libraries/moxf.html
Motif XF sample libraries are mostly compatible with the MOXF:
http://shop.motifator.com/index.php/voice-libraries/motif-xf.html
A thread about loading Motif XF libraries to the MOXF:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/479265/

Yamaha has made some sample libraries available as well - look under “Other Downloads” here:
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/moxf/downloads.html

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2020 @ 10:33 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012
5pinDIN - 10 January 2020 08:36 PM

Did the seller provide you with any MOXF files? If so, you might be able to get access to what’s on the module. If not, you could format the module and load your own material.

Let me start off by saying how much I deeply appreciate you 5pinDIN.

You ALWAYS go the extra miles with me, and you don’t know how much that really means to me.

Yes, I bought it used because it’s in mint/new condition (and it came with the Flash AND a MOX6 Gig Bag), so I figured why buy a new one (read that as why spend a LOT more money than what I paid for this one) that would be used as soon as I played it, PLUS, I know it’s going to get scratched if I play out live :) :) :) :)

Regardless, how do I access what’s on the module now?

Thanks again!
Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2020 @ 11:40 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jerrydpi - 10 January 2020 10:33 PM

Let me start off by saying how much I deeply appreciate you 5pinDIN.

You ALWAYS go the extra miles with me, and you don’t know how much that really means to me.

I’m glad to help when I can.

jerrydpi -

Yes, I bought it used because it’s in mint/new condition (and it came with the Flash AND a MOX6 Gig Bag), so I figured why buy a new one (read that as why spend a LOT more money than what I paid for this one) that would be used as soon as I played it, PLUS, I know it’s going to get scratched if I play out live :) :) :) :)

There’s certainly nothing wrong with purchasing a used model if it’s functioning well. There can be some related issues with the flash module, however…

jerrydpi -

Regardless, how do I access what’s on the module now?

When samples are stored to the flash module the MOXF creates a “Waveform List”. That list can be lost in a few possible ways, such as updating the OS, moving the flash module from one MOXF to another, etc. If you had an “All” file that was saved by the previous owner, you could load it and restore the list.

Since you’re seeing the message…
New Flash Memory Module.
Please load waveform data.
...it indicates the Waveform List data is missing, and the samples on the flash module can’t be played properly because certain parameters are missing.

Normally you could see the list of the installed Waveforms by pressing…
[FILE] > [F6]FLASH > [SF2] DELETE
An unpopulated list can’t be restored without a backup “All” file saved when the samples were installed.

If you don’t have and can’t get such a file, I suggest that you format the flash module. That should eliminate the error message. You can then decide if you want to install samples.

The articles I linked to should help with further understanding how to work with the flash module.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Mixing Problem - Sound Problem
Next Topic:

Tempo Changes "live" AND when reprogramming ››