mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Mixing Problem - Sound Problem"

Posted on: January 10, 2020 @ 03:17 PM
Wolfgang T.
Total Posts:  74
Joined  11-07-2013

As I’m using my MOXF sometimes at home with my studioearphones AKG 612 Pro and also sometimes in Session in the rehearsal on the PA, I notice that the keyboard is sounding complety different, expecially the Piano and the Combination Mixes.

So I was thinging already to programm my Sounds on the MOXF with different EQ settings, one for rehersal on the PA and another for Homerecording with my headphone AKG 612 PRO.

Is there maybe another solution or way to go?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2020 @ 04:55 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Listening with headphones versus speakers will always sound different. To what degree that will be true depends on things like how flat the frequency response of the headphones is, how much room acoustics affect the PA, etc.

Some additional information might help us make appropriate suggestions…

Is there a specific part of the frequency range that you want to address with either the headphones or the PA? That is, are there peaks or dips in the response that are particularly obvious to you?

When you play out, is the venue always the same one, with the same PA?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 11, 2020 @ 03:58 AM
Wolfgang T.
Joined  11-07-2013

Using the MOXF Arpeggiator Combinations (Drums, Bass, Guitars etc.), played together with other musician, who are playing mostly acustic instrumenst like Saxophon etc…

Follwing equipment is used:

Yamaha MOXF
2 dB Technologies Flexsys F 12 800W
1 Allen & Heath ZED 12 FX Mixer

Result:

- The MOXF Combis are sounding on the PA very different compare to hear it trough the headphone.
- The Clearty and the balance of the MOXF COMBI MIX can only be heard trough biger volume on the PA
- Especially the volume of the bass has to be reduced
- Also the pianos sounds on the PA very direct and sometimes aggresive that the highs and middles has be reduced

As 5PIN wrote “Listening with headphones versus speakers will always sound different”, so maybe our ears has to be used on the PA Sound, but the above topic about bass and piano sounds adjustments will always remain.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 11, 2020 @ 09:57 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Your reply included some new information, but it didn’t fully address my questions. I’ll make some suggestions based on my interpretation of what you wrote (which may or may not be the actual situation).

The following comments presume that you’re satisfied with the way the MOXF sounds when you listen with headphones, but not so with the PA…

Speaker location in a room will significantly affect frequency response. Placement near wall/floor/ceiling surfaces will tend to emphasize low frequencies. I suggest that the speakers be kept away from such surfaces, since you find the bass is excessive - for example, if the speakers are on the floor, raise them on stands.

At the other end of the audio spectrum, high frequencies are directional - to maximize them, speakers should be aimed directly at the listening position.

If EQing is still needed after properly positioning the speakers, the Allen & Heath ZED-12FX has EQ which can deal with the mid-band frequencies if necessary.

Master EQ in the MOXF can be applied globally to all sounds in Voice Mode. It can be applied on a per-Program basis to each Performance and Song/Pattern Mixing, but doing that can be quite time-consuming. I suggest optimizing speaker positioning and mixer EQ initially, adjusting MOXF settings only if you’re still dissatisfied.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 11, 2020 @ 02:07 PM
Wolfgang T.
Joined  11-07-2013

Your advice will definitely help, thank you Mr. 5PIN !

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 11, 2020 @ 04:44 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Wolfgang T. - 11 January 2020 02:07 PM

Your advice will definitely help, thank you Mr. 5PIN !

You’re welcome.

I found some information online about the Flexsys F12 speakers. It seems that they have an attachment point for pole mounting, a Mode switch which may have a flat position so that the bass is not emphasized, and the horn is apparently rotatable to help direct mid and high frequencies in the proper direction. Those things may be useful in obtaining the sound quality you are looking for.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2020 @ 03:17 AM
Wolfgang T.
Joined  11-07-2013

That’s a good Information - it helps !

Thanks for your effort Mr. 5pin

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MOX to MOXF
Next Topic:

I need some help with Flash Memory. ››