mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MIDI Drops Out"

Posted on: November 06, 2019 @ 01:44 PM
Donald-M
Total Posts:  666
Joined  11-08-2007

I’ve run into a puzzling issue recently and thought I’d ask here for any possible insights.  I use my Motif XS8 as my main MIDI controller in my home studio, connected via Firewire to my PC, running Win-10, 64bit, 24gig Ram.  My main DAW is Pro Tools on version 2019.6 This has been my set up since I set up my studio back in 2006.  I’ve few MIDI issues in all that time.

Lately, for reasons I can not fathom, the MIDI signal from the Motif to the PC will randomly disappear if I leave my PC idle for a time.  For example, I turn on my PC and everything boots up.  I can check if I have MIDI by simply opening the Motif editor, which shows me MIDI is fine.  I close the editor.  I leave for while, leaving the PC on, but not having opened any programs.  Come back an hour or so later and no MIDI at all.  I have to reboot my PC to get it all back. 

The same thing happens no matter what state I leave things.  Another time I’ll have Pro Tools open to a session.  I have to leave for a while, but leave the session as is.  Come back a while later and the MIDI is once again gone. 

It happens the same way with Reason, Reaper, and running UVI Falcon 2.0 in standalone.  I’m suspicious that is has something to do with my Firewire driver. I’ve redownloaded the latest version off the Yamaha website, uninstalled and reinstalled it.  But the problem persists.  So, I’m not sure what else to look at. 

Since the issue doesn’t seem to be tied to my running any particular program where I use MIDI - the problem crops up with the Yamaha Motif Editor, or Pro Tools, or Reason, or if I’ve not opened any program at all.  MIDI is there when I first boot up, but if I leave things idle for a while...say an hour or so...MIDI is just gone! 

Anyone?  Ideas? Suggestions? 

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 06, 2019 @ 05:57 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Are you using “Sleep” or “Hibernate” modes in Windows? In some cases Windows doesn’t resume things correctly when reawakening. If so, I suggest that you disable that feature for now and see if the problem still exists.

https://www.howtogeek.com/102897/whats-the-difference-between-sleep-and-hibernate-in-windows/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 06, 2019 @ 06:11 PM
Donald-M
Joined  11-08-2007
5pinDIN - 06 November 2019 05:57 PM

Are you using “Sleep” or “Hibernate” modes in Windows? In some cases Windows doesn’t resume things correctly when reawakening. If so, I suggest that you disable that feature for now and see if the problem still exists.

https://www.howtogeek.com/102897/whats-the-difference-between-sleep-and-hibernate-in-windows/

Well, all of those options were turned off when I optimized my system for Pro Tools use.  However, Windows 10 updates have a nasty habit of undoing some settings with updates.  Its possible that one of those got switched back on without my realizing it.  However, I’m doubting it because when I do leave the computer for a bit, nothing shuts down or off.  The screen is exactly as it was when I left.

Still, its worth checking if one of those or the hybrid mode got turned on.  I’ll let you know.  Good thought and one I didn’t think about.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2019 @ 10:56 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

You might try using Device Manager - under the System folder, “Sound, video and game controllers”, check whether something like “Yamaha Steinberg FW Bus” is there and functional. (It might have a different name if you’re still running as mLAN instead of FW.) Check both initially and after the problem occurs.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2019 @ 10:27 PM
Donald-M
Joined  11-08-2007
5pinDIN - 07 November 2019 10:56 AM

You might try using Device Manager - under the System folder, “sound, video and game controllers”, check whether something like “Yamaha Steinberg FW Bus” is there and functional. (It might have a different name if you’re still running as mLAN instead of FW.) Check both initially and after the problem occurs.

So, I checked all this out.  All the sleep/hibernate/hybrid modes are set to “never”, so they should never engage.

The Yamaha FW WDM MIDI driver is working properly.
The driver date is: 12/14/2015
Version: 1.51.1

I believe that is the most recent, unless I’ve missed something somewhere.  The same is true for the FW WDM Audio driver.

So, I can’t figure this.  I’ll keep experimenting and report back.  Thanks for you help so far.  If you can think of anything else, let me know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2019 @ 07:36 PM
Donald-M
Joined  11-08-2007

After doing some further checking I found this FW driver which is 1.6.6 for Win-10 64bit.  I thought I had the most recent already installed.  Before I install this one, though.  I want to be sure this is the most recent one.  As far as I can tell it is, but maybe I’m looking in the wrong place?  Is there a ver 1.7 or 2.0 I need to find?

Don’t know if this is what’s casing the issue, but it might be.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 09, 2019 @ 09:08 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Version 1.6.6 is the most recent. I have the 32-bit v1.6.6 installed on an XP Pro system, but “Properties” for the “Yamaha Steinberg FW Bus” reports as version 1.5.1. So are you sure that you don’t have 1.6.6 already installed? Open the “Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver” (via the Control Panel or other access in Win 10), click on the “About” tab, and check which version number is displayed.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 09, 2019 @ 03:05 PM
Donald-M
Joined  11-08-2007
5pinDIN - 09 November 2019 09:08 AM

Version 1.6.6 is the most recent. I have the 32-bit v1.6.6 installed on an XP Pro system, but “Properties” for the “Yamaha Steinberg FW Bus” reports as version 1.5.1. So are you sure that you don’t have 1.6.6 already installed? Open the “Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver” (via the Control Panel or other access in Win 10), click on the “About” tab, and check which version number is displayed.

You’re correct.  That’s weird and confusing to say the least!  But I do have 1.6.6.  So yesterday I updated my Pro Tools to ver 2019.10 from 2019.6.  I left my PC on for 4-5 hours, with Pro Tools open, and when I cam back, MIDI worked just fine. 

I’m going to keep an eye on it and see if it crops up again! 

This is the sort of problem that leads to baldness from scratching ones head so hard!  Thanks for your help!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 09, 2019 @ 06:31 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Donald-M - 09 November 2019 03:05 PM

You’re correct.  That’s weird and confusing to say the least!  But I do have 1.6.6.  So yesterday I updated my Pro Tools to ver 2019.10 from 2019.6.  I left my PC on for 4-5 hours, with Pro Tools open, and when I cam back, MIDI worked just fine.

While I’m glad that things are currently working with Pro Tools, I have no explanation for why. One of the reasons I’ve stuck with XP Pro for my music applications is that Win 10 updates apparently can randomly play havoc with things.

Donald-M -

I’m going to keep an eye on it and see if it crops up again!

Please keep us posted.

Donald-M -

This is the sort of problem that leads to baldness from scratching ones head so hard!

That may explain the gradual but definite loss I’ve experienced in recent years.  ;-)

Donald-M -

Thanks for your help!

You’re welcome. I hope the problem completely disappears as mysteriously as it began.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 11, 2019 @ 12:29 AM
Donald-M
Joined  11-08-2007

Well, the Case of the Disappearing MIDI continues.  After having no issues all day, no matter how long I left my PC idol, the MIDI just dropped out again. I had to reboot the PC and MIDI worked again.  Then, I used MIDI from Pro Tools to my Motif to play a part on the Motif I wanted to record.  That worked per usual.  Laid down the tracks just fine. 

Then, after working on some mixing stuff, I wanted to add another part, and....NO MIDI...AGAIN!  So, it works, then it doesn’t all in the same session all within about 1/2 hour.  The odd thing is, this problem doesn’t just crop up with Pro Tools.  It doesn’t seem to matter what I do. It just randomly drops out. 

I’m beginning to wonder if there’s something with the Firewire card itself that might be causing it.  Though, what that might be, I can’t figure out. 

Troubleshooting is the biggest kill joy!!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ changing performance tempo motif xs
Next Topic:

No sound on song playback ››