mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "“Waveform Full” warning, a tale of two Motifs (and a couple of questions)"

Posted on: September 29, 2019 @ 10:52 AM
zippydog
Total Posts:  153
Joined  04-01-2011

Hoping for a little help on saving and loading.

I have two XF 88s.  I’ll call them “home” and “gig”.

Important to note that the XFs are set up as clones with one 1024 flash card each in FL1 and I’m using the same sound sets on both, not added anything new since I cloned “gig” from “home”.

For the last year, I’ve been creating performances and editing sounds on “home” and loading them onto “gig” by USB. 

Before last night’s show, I went to load the latest updates from “home” to “gig” and got a Waveform Full error message.  Happily, my updates were minor and didn’t affect the show.

I’ve been reading about this here - thanks as always to 5 Pin Din and Bad Mister for shedding some light. My diagnosis is that I’ve unintentionally been adding duplicate waveforms to “gig” by not saving and loading properly...ultimately filling it up....until last night’s error message.  Sound right?

I believe I’ve been saving from “home” ALL with no samples to FL1 OR 2, then loading ALL with no samples into FL1 & FL2.  I think this is where I THINK I went wrong.  What to do?  I’m thinking I should just reset “gig” by formatting FL1, then load a fresh clone from “home” (Save ALL with samples) and start again.  A reminder on how to do this would be awesome, but I have a thread here somewhere from 5 Pin on it after acquiring “gig”.

The bigger question is how do I avoid doing this again?  How do I save from “home” and only move my edited performances and sounds to “gig” without adding duplicate waves?  I believe what I should load is:
USR > USR
FL1 > None
FL2 > FL2

Thanks in advance for some coaching - as always, it is GREATLY appreciated!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2019 @ 08:15 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
zippydog - 29 September 2019 10:52 AM

Hoping for a little help on saving and loading.

I have two XF 88s.  I’ll call them “home” and “gig”.

Important to note that the XFs are set up as clones with one 1024 flash card each in FL1 and I’m using the same sound sets on both, not added anything new since I cloned “gig” from “home”.

For the last year, I’ve been creating performances and editing sounds on “home” and loading them onto “gig” by USB. 

Before last night’s show, I went to load the latest updates from “home” to “gig” and got a Waveform Full error message.  Happily, my updates were minor and didn’t affect the show.

I’ve been reading about this here - thanks as always to 5 Pin Din and Bad Mister for shedding some light. My diagnosis is that I’ve unintentionally been adding duplicate waveforms to “gig” by not saving and loading properly...ultimately filling it up....until last night’s error message.  Sound right?

That’s certainly a possibility.

zippydog -

I believe I’ve been saving from “home” ALL with no samples to FL1 OR 2, then loading ALL with no samples into FL1 & FL2.  I think this is where I THINK I went wrong.

Loading ALL “without sample” would still add duplicate Waveforms, so that scenario would explain what happened.

zippydog -

What to do?  I’m thinking I should just reset “gig” by formatting FL1, then load a fresh clone from “home” (Save ALL with samples) and start again.  A reminder on how to do this would be awesome, but I have a thread here somewhere from 5 Pin on it after acquiring “gig”.

Depending on the degree of duplication found, you could reformat FL1 and start fresh as you stated, or perhaps decide to remove duplicates one-by-one if there aren’t too many of them.

To check for duplicate Waveforms, see the section Increasing the available memory of the Flash Memory Expansion Module on page 15 of the Motif XF Supplementary Manual (https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/4/325614/motifxf_v150_en_nf_c0.pdf).

If you decide to reformat FL1 and save an ALL file “with sample” on the “home” XF, then the Load options on the “gig” XF should be set the following way (just for this one time):
USR > USR
FL1 > FL1
FL2 > FL2

zippydog -

The bigger question is how do I avoid doing this again?  How do I save from “home” and only move my edited performances and sounds to “gig” without adding duplicate waves?  I believe what I should load is:
USR > USR
FL1 > None
FL2 > FL2

Yes - loading an ALL file with the Load options set that way will do the trick for Voices, Performances, etc. (anything but additional samples). If you add samples to FL1 in the “home” unit, and want to add them to “gig” as well, I suggest you do so as an independent operation, not via an ALL file. Of course, if you ever add an additional flash module, then the FL2 setting will also have to be properly set.

zippydog -

Thanks in advance for some coaching - as always, it is GREATLY appreciated!

You’re welcome - glad to help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2019 @ 10:29 PM
zippydog
Total Posts:  153
Joined  04-01-2011

Thanks so much 5PIN!
Exactly the coaching I was hoping for - from the coach I trust!

I’ll post my results soon so that others might benefit.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Loading content from my XS to the Motif XF
Next Topic:

Rotary Speed help ››