mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Just bought used MOXF8, problem with attack on repetitive key strikes"

Posted on: May 22, 2019 @ 01:29 PM
keyfumbler
Total Posts:  3
Joined  05-20-2019

Hi all, I’m new here. I just bought a used MOXF 8 from a private party. I’m noticing that when I strike a key repetitively, very quickly (think piano intro on Toto’s “Hold the Line), the first strike has great attack, but subsequent strikes are more muted. If I let it rest and strike the key again, the attack is fine. The keyboard is well-used and I discovered a broken black key when i got it home (it plays fine but wiggles when you grab it and move it side-to-side) so someone played the heck out of it. I got a good deal on it and maybe this is why. Any ideas? I have found a video on replacing the key, but I think there is something else going on.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 22, 2019 @ 01:57 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Welcome to the forum.

In order to diagnose what’s happening, a bit more information would be helpful…

1) Is what you’ve described happening with more than one Voice?

2) Is it occurring with Preset Voices, and if so, which ones?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 22, 2019 @ 04:30 PM
keyfumbler
Total Posts:  3
Joined  05-20-2019

Thanks for the reply 5pinDIN. This may just be me, and my inexperience with the instrument. I have only noticed it with preset voices like acoustic or electric pianos that have pronounced sharp attack. But, I just watched a video of our last rehearsal, and the MOXF sounded great on “Hold the Line.” The Monoaural Grand MW voice was ringing and the attack sounded fine. I notice it while playing, perhaps others would not. I was just wondering, since I’m going to open the case to replace the broken key, whether there were other parts (contacts, sensors, ??) that could be the offenders that might be replaced relatively easily. I really don’t want to make this a project, though. I guess I’ll just keep an eye on it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 22, 2019 @ 10:39 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Preset Voices such as piano should normally retrigger from the start of the attack each time a key is struck.

Sometimes external devices can cause problems. If you have any pedals (foot controllers or switches), MIDI cables, or USB cables plugged into the MOXF, disconnect them and check again.

Key Velocity can affect which sample is played, which can change the apparent sound. What happens if you change the Utility mode Velocity Curve to “fixed”, and set the FixedVelocity to “127”? See page 141 of the MOXF Reference Manual
(https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/6/330236/moxf6moxf8_en_rm_a0.pdf).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2019 @ 11:08 AM
johpat
Total Posts:  61
Joined  10-08-2003

Recently I also bought a moxf8 second hand. a few keys were broken, which I moved, repaired with super glue. But I also had another problem. i hope i can show it with some pictures. (don’t know how to send photos here). I have of course also repaired it with glue. It concerns the black plastic ‘middle’ holder in the middle on the inside of a white key. It is broken, you can only glue it.
Maybe there is a problem there. it then stagnated the white key and made a broken sound when I hit it.
I just say something :)

Image Attachments
IMG_5589.jpgIMG_5588.jpgIMG_5590.jpgIMG_5591.jpgIMG_5587.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2019 @ 06:56 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
johpat - 23 May 2019 11:08 AM

Recently I also bought a moxf8 second hand. a few keys were broken, which I moved, repaired with super glue. But I also had another problem. i hope i can show it with some pictures. (don’t know how to send photos here). I have of course also repaired it with glue. It concerns the black plastic ‘middle’ holder in the middle on the inside of a white key. It is broken, you can only glue it.
Maybe there is a problem there. it then stagnated the white key and made a broken sound when I hit it.
I just say something :)

If at all possible, I would suggest getting new parts.
Part numbers are in the Service Manual.
https://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_moxf6_moxf8_sm.pdf/download.html

[ Ignore ]