mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Controlling an XF8 from Cubase"

Posted on: April 04, 2019 @ 11:35 AM
jampro2002
Total Posts:  16
Joined  03-31-2012

Hi Folks,

I’m using the supplied Cubase software with my XF8 for its notation features. I want to create a multi part score I can ultimately print. I’m using a printer type USB cable to communicate between the 2.

I’m successfully able to record to score no problem. What I would like to be able to do is use cubase to control the keyboard so that when I hit playback on the laptop I hear the voices as played out through the main speakers attached to my XF8. At the moment I just here the laptop generated sounds which are pretty lame compared to the XF8. I’m sure this is possible. Any advice welcome :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 04, 2019 @ 06:06 PM
jampro2002
Joined  03-31-2012

After further investigation it looks like I want to control cubase from the xf8.......

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2019 @ 08:21 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Total Posts:  317
Joined  04-30-2016

Not sure what you mean in your second post.

But, to get a Cubase AI midi track to play the XF, you will need a 5-pin DIN midi cable. I do not believe the XF8 can receive midi data via usb, only transmit. For receiving you need the 5-pin ports. When you have a midi cable, then connect one end to your midi interface/audio interface’s MIDI Out port. Connect the other end to the Motif’s MIDI In port. Select in Cubase the midi track you want to hear, and set the routing to your interface’s out port and whatever channel you have the Motif set to.

That’s all there is to it. Just doesn’t work with USB.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2019 @ 03:13 AM
jampro2002
Joined  03-31-2012

Ok thanks, that would explain why everything works in one direction at the mo. I thought usb is the preferred connection method. I do have the correct midi cable so will try when I’m next home.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2019 @ 08:50 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

The USB “TO HOST” port, in conjunction with the proper USB MIDI Driver and correct port assignment in applications, supports MIDI communication in both directions. In fact, the USB connection provides the equivalent of multiple bi-directional MIDI ports.

While Port 3 provides a MIDI Thru port for external devices, via the 5-pin connectors, such a connection isn’t a necessity. See MIDI channels and MIDI ports on page 57 of the XF Owner’s Manual. Note that in addition to what’s described there, Port 4 is used for the Yamaha Editor.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2019 @ 06:02 PM
jampro2002
Joined  03-31-2012

Thanks 5pinDIN that’s v useful info.  Will try this also next.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Approved Motif XF USB WiFi Adaptors
Next Topic:

Set List Organizer (IOS) ››