mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Track to Arpeggio Job question"

Posted on: March 18, 2019 @ 01:58 AM
sammyhunk
Total Posts:  23
Joined  10-07-2013

Hi fellow musicians,

I am trying to convert a pattern into an arpeggio. There are 4 tracks in a particular section of a pattern (say section F) - a drum track, a base track, a guitar track and a piano track. The base, guitar and piano tracks are all patterns in C3, so that I can convert this to an arpeggio and then transpose them live while playing chords using my left hand.

My question is: when I am activating the Job to convert to arpeggio, I am seeing 4 different Arps at the bottom of the screen and options for selecting the track. I thought you can only put one track to an arpeggio - is it possible to put the base, guitar and piano rhythm tracks into ONE arpeggio? In that case, how will it work when I want to apply that arpeggio?

Looking forward to your answers!

Thanks
Samik.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2019 @ 08:39 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Sorry, but you’re not “seeing 4 different Arps at the bottom of the screen” - you’re seeing the ability to select up to four Tracks to convert to a single Arp.

Yes, you could convert the notes from as many as four Tracks (maximum of 16 different notes), but they will all be merged into one Arp. Since that (or any) Arp can play just one Voice, the resulting Arp from your Tracks will probably not be what you had in mind.

If you want to have Arps for your bass, guitar, and piano tracks, create an Arp from each Track, and then assign each of those Arps separately to the appropriate Part.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2019 @ 09:41 PM
sammyhunk
Joined  10-07-2013

Got it - thanks. What is the purpose of having the 4 ARP tracks if they all combine at the end into one arp with a single voice? I mean since the unique note limitation is still 16 across all 4 tracks I can just create a complex arp in a single track by overdubbing upto 16 unique notes, correct? Just trying to understand if I’m missing something. Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2019 @ 11:35 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
sammyhunk - 18 March 2019 09:41 PM

Got it - thanks.

You’re welcome.

sammyhunk -

What is the purpose of having the 4 ARP tracks if they all combine at the end into one arp with a single voice? I mean since the unique note limitation is still 16 across all 4 tracks I can just create a complex arp in a single track by overdubbing upto 16 unique notes, correct? Just trying to understand if I’m missing something. Thanks!

Having the ability to convert more than one Track allows the Arp to have complexity that wouldn’t be easy (or possible) to directly record on a single Track.

The Arp Tracks can have different Convert Type settings. For example, Track 1 could be a basic rhythm and the setting might be “org notes”. Then another Track might add accents/articulations, using “fixed note”. Yet another Track could have a different note range and rhythm.

When starting out to create an Arp, it’s usual that it will be meant to be applied to a particular Voice. Some of the Voices have articulations, usually on notes above the normal range of the instrument. As an experiment, you might try recording one of those Voices with an additional Track to add articulations, setting the Convert Type to “fixed note” for that Track’s part of the Arp.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 19, 2019 @ 12:12 AM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

Thank you 5pinDIN for that explanation.  I was cruising through posts and this one caught my interest, having had some struggles a few years back.

Glad to see you’re still around and providing guidance, instruction and experience.

Warm regards

Rich

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 19, 2019 @ 12:13 AM
sammyhunk
Joined  10-07-2013

Thanks for your reply! Wow - those are fantastic possibilities that I never would have thought of...mind officially blown! I will definitely try those.

Follow up question: When I create and save a 4-track arp and then apply it to a performance/pattern/song track, then will all 4 tracks be applied on a single track, or do I need to apply different tracks of the arp to different tracks of the performance/pattern/song? I guess (hope) it’s the former, but would like to confirm.

Once again - thank you for your ideas - I’m plan to have some fun with arps now! :)

Samik.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 19, 2019 @ 06:13 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
richie1027 - 19 March 2019 12:12 AM

Thank you 5pinDIN for that explanation.  I was cruising through posts and this one caught my interest, having had some struggles a few years back.

Glad to see you’re still around and providing guidance, instruction and experience.

Warm regards

Rich

It’s also good to see you posting, Rich, and thanks for the kind words.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 19, 2019 @ 07:57 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
sammyhunk - 19 March 2019 12:13 AM

Thanks for your reply! Wow - those are fantastic possibilities that I never would have thought of...mind officially blown! I will definitely try those.

Follow up question: When I create and save a 4-track arp and then apply it to a performance/pattern/song track, then will all 4 tracks be applied on a single track, or do I need to apply different tracks of the arp to different tracks of the performance/pattern/song? I guess (hope) it’s the former, but would like to confirm.

Once again - thank you for your ideas - I’m plan to have some fun with arps now! :)

Samik.

You’re welcome.

No matter how many (1~4) Song or Pattern Tracks are used to create an Arp, the resulting Arp is just like any of the Preset ones - it has no tracks of its own. Just like the Presets, it gets applied to a single Voice, or a Part in a Performance, Song or Pattern.

Most guitar Voices have articulations starting at C6.
Try PRE2:088(F08), PRE2:110(G14), PRE2:119(H07) for example.

Most basses at C5 and beyond, similarly - PRE3:014(A14) through PRE3:047(G15).

Using multiple Tracks is also helpful when creating a Drum Arp. Select a Drum Kit, record a basic Track, then add up to three other Tracks with various hits from the kit. In “Put Track to Arp”, set Convert Type to “fixed” for each of the Arp Tracks. Then apply that User Arp to the same kit in your Performance.

Try things - it should soon become apparent what works for you and what doesn’t. Enjoy!

[ Ignore ]