mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Voice with arp or performance to song?"

Posted on: March 03, 2019 @ 09:23 AM
eisenfarn
Total Posts:  40
Joined  01-24-2011

I would like to play a song on the XF using an external sequencer which works fine, but I would like to use a voice on track one with an arp such as the “Mega steel” voice.

I asked this question a while back when I had an ES, worked fine then, but now I have an XF and I can’t get it to work. I can get a performance into a song (which include the Mega steel voice), and it’s listed as so in the first 4 tracks, but I get no sound.

I’ve copied and edited the “Mega steel” voice to a user location, I would like to get this voice into a song, arp included. If someone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful :)

Many thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2019 @ 12:07 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11061
Joined  09-16-2010

I’m unclear about the problem you’re experiencing…

eisenfarn - 03 March 2019 09:23 AM

I would like to play a song on the XF using an external sequencer which works fine,

What works fine? The rest of your post seems to say otherwise.

eisenfarn -

but I would like to use a voice on track one with an arp such as the “Mega steel” voice.

I asked this question a while back when I had an ES, worked fine then, but now I have an XF and I can’t get it to work. I can get a performance into a song (which include the Mega steel voice), and it’s listed as so in the first 4 tracks, but I get no sound.

What does “no sound” mean? Is it when you play the XF from its own keyboard, or only when you try to use the external sequencer? In each case, do you not hear the Voice at all, or is the problem only with the Arp?

eisenfarn -

I’ve copied and edited the “Mega steel” voice to a user location, I would like to get this voice into a song, arp included. If someone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful :)

Many thanks

Your and my previous/recent posts should have addressed this issue. Perhaps answers to the above questions will help to clarify things a bit, and help us determine what the problem is.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2019 @ 01:30 AM
eisenfarn
Joined  01-24-2011

Hi, sorry, perhaps I have over simplified what I am trying to do and I will try and explain it a bit better:

My band uses a laptop on stage to enhance our sound, the laptop is running Reaper (an audio based sequencer) linked to the XF via MTC. Running on the XF is a song which is an imported MIDI file created on an external sequencer which has a click track on track 16 and any MSB/LSB/Program changes required on track 01 to change any voices I need to be playing on the XF itself. The master section on the XF is then linked to the song on the XF and to the playing audio song in Reaper. In this way I can fully control the laptop from the transport buttons on the XF, the master section on the XF sends control codes to reaper on MIDI 14 to change songs in Reaper, the song playing on the XF sends the click track to the drummer via an assignable output, so we can have a very high quality stereo output from the laptop and with the song on the XF (The imported MIDI file) we can send an independent click track to the drummer.

We have used this setup for a number of months without any major problems, but what I would like to do now is to be able to play voices on the keyboard which incorporate an arp such as is found in the “Mega steel” voice. I can change the current voices on the XF via the MIDI file (Song on the XF), but when I try and use a voice with an arp, the guitar voice is there, but no arp.

I can copy a performance into the song mix by using mixing, job, F3, SF3, selecting the performance (The performance has the mega steel guitar in it), but there is no sound from the keyboard, just no sound, if I change the “MIDI Sync” on the XF from MTC to INternal, the voice works fine, including the arp, but the MIDI sync needs to be set to MTC, otherwise I can’t control the laptop.

Sorry for the long winded reply :(

Thank you

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2019 @ 05:56 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
eisenfarn - 04 March 2019 01:30 AM

Hi, sorry, perhaps I have over simplified what I am trying to do and I will try and explain it a bit better:

No problem - thanks for the additional information.

eisenfarn -

[...]
We have used this setup for a number of months without any major problems, but what I would like to do now is to be able to play voices on the keyboard which incorporate an arp such as is found in the “Mega steel” voice. I can change the current voices on the XF via the MIDI file (Song on the XF), but when I try and use a voice with an arp, the guitar voice is there, but no arp.

First, “Parameter with Voice” has to be “on” for the Part in the Mix, as we’ve previously discussed.

You also need to turn on the ARP Common Switch. There are two ways that can be done.

1) Edit the Mix…
[SONG] > [MIXING] > [EDIT] > [COMMON EDIT] > [F1](General)
Set ARP Common Switch “on”, then STORE.
--- or ---
2) Enter a SysEx message before the Program Change message in the Track…
F0 43 10 7F 12 36 30 03 dd F7
where dd = 00(ARP Switch off) - 01(ARP Switch on)
Incorporate the message to turn the Switch on/off as many times as required during the sequence.

Method #1 is easiest, but since it will affect the entire Song it may not be appropriate for your needs.

Also, a Voice selected as a Part by Program Change message will default to playing ARP 1. If the ARP you want in the Voice you’re selecting is a different ARP number, then the easiest way to deal with that is to edit the User Voice so that the desired ARP is stored as ARP 1. Otherwise, a SysEx message can be inserted in the Sequence to select the ARP SF#…
F0 43 10 7F 12 36 30 00 dd F7
where dd = 00~04 (ARP SF Select, SF1~SF5)
...but the more SysEx you insert, the greater chance there is of causing delays. I suggest seeing what works best for your needs.

eisenfarn -

I can copy a performance into the song mix by using mixing, job, F3, SF3, selecting the performance (The performance has the mega steel guitar in it), but there is no sound from the keyboard, just no sound, if I change the “MIDI Sync” on the XF from MTC to INternal, the voice works fine, including the arp, but the MIDI sync needs to be set to MTC, otherwise I can’t control the laptop.

That would seem to be a dilemma.

From the XF Reference Manual…
Second NOTE on page 229:
NOTE When MIDI Sync is set to “MTC,” Songs and Arpeggios cannot play back in the Song mode but Patterns and Arpeggios can play back in the Pattern mode.

However, even if Pattern mode was an option, there’s the last sentence on page 228:
The MTC Sync function is available only in the Song mode.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2019 @ 01:59 PM
eisenfarn
Joined  01-24-2011

Damn, that’s a shame :(

I’m very grateful for your help and advice, this time and many times in the past :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2019 @ 08:11 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
eisenfarn - 04 March 2019 01:59 PM

Damn, that’s a shame :(

Sorry that won’t work as you’d like.

eisenfarn -

I’m very grateful for your help and advice, this time and many times in the past :)

I’m glad to help when I can.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Edited voice in song mode
Next Topic:

How to Install A Few Voices Out of An Entire Library ››