mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Help, automatically change voices at measure x"

Posted on: February 18, 2019 @ 07:16 PM
josephdouce
Total Posts:  19
Joined  02-14-2019

I don’t know if this is possible, I have a “Song” with some drums and other bits tracked, I play a piano and a synth lead over the top. Is there a way to automaticallsy switch at a certain measure.

Setup is as below

1 > Drum Track
2 > Choir + Strings
3 > Piano
4 > Synth Lead

At the minute I just hit the 3/4 button at the appropriate time but is there a way to make that change automatically.

I know I could just use a split but I’d prefer the whole keyboard available for both parts.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2019 @ 09:00 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Some background…
1) Tracks are MIDI transmitters.
2) Parts are MIDI receivers.
3) In Song or Pattern modes the sequencer can transmit on up to 16 Tracks simultaneously, and up to 16 Parts can receive.
4) The keyboard in Song/Pattern modes transmits on one channel at a time, via the sequencer Tracks.
5) The Track buttons therefore determine which channel the keyboard transmits on.

Based on your post, I presume that you’d like to embed a message in the sequence that would change the keyboard transmit channel. That would require a message on one Track (MIDI channel) to select a different Track (MIDI channel). Unfortunately, that’s not possible.

Are Parts 3 and 4 layered, or do you need to select them separately? If layered, and if pressing one of the Track buttons is really an impediment, let us know - there’s a way to use a foot controller to determine if 3+4 can be played by the keyboard or not.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2019 @ 11:38 PM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013

Another approach, depending on how you set your voices up is to use Voice-Elements and XA (expanded articulation)

Assign the piano, choir, strings to different elements within the same voice,
use XA Control to associate one or more of the voices with the AF1 and/or AF2,

Depending how you set it up.

Pressing and AF button will turn one or more of the voices off, while leaving the others on and vice versa.  Its not automatic but, you don’t have to do a split, and you could either press an AF button at the appropriate measure, or tie the AF button to a foot controller which would let you change the instrumentation just by using the foot controller at the right time.

By setting up different sounds as elements in a voice, you can use controllers e.g.  MW, AS1,AS2, AF1, AF2, etc to turn elements (voices) off and on and depending on how you have cross fades, and envelopes setup, you can also have one element(voice) morph into the another.

Another way to accomplish this same thing is to set up the pairs that you wanted in a Mix voice,
sign one pair to one channel in the mix voice, and the other pair on another channel.  and then just select the appropriate track.  Although this is not automatic, it can be done with one touch and it is a seamless transition (the music doesn’t stop) and you don’t have to do a split.

And of course 5pinDIN’s suggestion will accomplish both the automatic change, and the voicing that you want.

There is also a technique involving the integrated sampler that would let you accomplish seamless voice switching, but its involved.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2019 @ 07:42 AM
zpink
Total Posts:  427
Joined  08-02-2014

An alternative could be to only use track 3 and have a program change in the sequence instead, maybe?
In your example, I guess the piano will be cut off when it switched to the lead, but only you will know how much of a setback this is.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2019 @ 12:50 PM
josephdouce
Joined  02-14-2019
5pinDIN - 18 February 2019 09:00 PM

Some background…
1) Tracks are MIDI transmitters.
2) Parts are MIDI receivers.
3) In Song or Pattern modes the sequencer can transmit on up to 16 Tracks simultaneously, and up to 16 Parts can receive.
4) The keyboard in Song/Pattern modes transmits on one channel at a time, via the sequencer Tracks.
5) The Track buttons therefore determine which channel the keyboard transmits on.

Based on your post, I presume that you’d like to embed a message in the sequence that would change the keyboard transmit channel. That would require a message on one Track (MIDI channel) to select a different Track (MIDI channel). Unfortunately, that’s not possible.

Are Parts 3 and 4 layered, or do you need to select them separately? If layered, and if pressing one of the Track buttons is really an impediment, let us know - there’s a way to use a foot controller to determine if 3+4 can be played by the keyboard or not.

That is all correct 3 and 4 are independent not layered, I know I can use a foot controller I was just wondering if I could automate it a little more. I only had it a few days so I’m not sure what is/isn’t possible.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2019 @ 12:52 PM
josephdouce
Joined  02-14-2019
lastmonk - 18 February 2019 11:38 PM

Another approach, depending on how you set your voices up is to use Voice-Elements and XA (expanded articulation)

Assign the piano, choir, strings to different elements within the same voice,
use XA Control to associate one or more of the voices with the AF1 and/or AF2,

Depending how you set it up.

Pressing and AF button will turn one or more of the voices off, while leaving the others on and vice versa.  Its not automatic but, you don’t have to do a split, and you could either press an AF button at the appropriate measure, or tie the AF button to a foot controller which would let you change the instrumentation just by using the foot controller at the right time.

By setting up different sounds as elements in a voice, you can use controllers e.g.  MW, AS1,AS2, AF1, AF2, etc to turn elements (voices) off and on and depending on how you have cross fades, and envelopes setup, you can also have one element(voice) morph into the another.

Another way to accomplish this same thing is to set up the pairs that you wanted in a Mix voice,
sign one pair to one channel in the mix voice, and the other pair on another channel.  and then just select the appropriate track.  Although this is not automatic, it can be done with one touch and it is a seamless transition (the music doesn’t stop) and you don’t have to do a split.

And of course 5pinDIN’s suggestion will accomplish both the automatic change, and the voicing that you want.

There is also a technique involving the integrated sampler that would let you accomplish seamless voice switching, but its involved.

This is what I’m doing I’m in Song/Pattern mode so I’m using the difference wet channels to get seamless switching Kaur wondered if I could avoid pressing a button.

[ Ignore ]