mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "I own the MOXF 6. Arpegiator/Sequencer question"

Posted on: January 07, 2019 @ 03:28 PM
noviceonthemo
Total Posts:  9
Joined  03-25-2013

Hi I am new here. Is it possible to record arpeggios into the sequencer just like if you were recording your own notes? If so how do you do this? I have no problems recording into the sequencer but when I try to record the arppegiator into it, it does nothing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 07, 2019 @ 04:15 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Just to be clear…
Are you asking about recording arpeggiated notes to the MOXF’s internal sequencer, or to an external one (DAW)?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 07, 2019 @ 07:40 PM
noviceonthemo
Total Posts:  9
Joined  03-25-2013

Hi, Thank you so much. I am just wanting to record the arpeggios on the moxf6 into the moxf6 sequencer. For example..I am creating my own sequence with bass and drums using real time recording. I then want to record some piano arpeggios into the sequence that will sync to the bass and drums. It seems like it should do this but it doesn’t seem to want to take the info when recording

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2019 @ 12:20 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
noviceonthemo - 07 January 2019 07:40 PM

Hi, Thank you so much. I am just wanting to record the arpeggios on the moxf6 into the moxf6 sequencer.

OK. Recording Arps to an external sequencer can sometimes be a challenge. However, recording them to the internal sequencer should be straightforward. Typically, if playing a note on the keyboard triggers the Arp, then it should be able to be recorded.

noviceonthemo -

For example..I am creating my own sequence with bass and drums using real time recording. I then want to record some piano arpeggios into the sequence that will sync to the bass and drums. It seems like it should do this but it doesn’t seem to want to take the info when recording

Temporarily ignoring the second issue of syncing piano Arps to your bass/drum rhythm track…
Starting with a new (empty) sequence (Song/Pattern), if you attempt to just record piano Arps, can you do that successfully?

As to the issue of recording a bass/drum track, your timing has to be tight, or syncing Arps to it later might be very difficult. This topic reminds me of an older thread:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/453011/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2019 @ 05:42 AM
zpink
Total Posts:  427
Joined  08-02-2014

I may be typing outa my arse here but, can one really record the arp generated notes to the internal sequencer?

On most synths the arp is part of the patch/program/voice rather than being sequenced note by note.

There was a heated debate in another forum where some users were upset with the fact that the Digitone doesn’t send arps when controlling other gear.
The Digitone is very’normal’ and stores the arp with the sound.

PS. That linked thread made some amusing commuter read! :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2019 @ 10:06 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
zpink - 08 January 2019 05:42 AM

I may be typing outa my arse here but, can one really record the arp generated notes to the internal sequencer?

On most synths the arp is part of the patch/program/voice rather than being sequenced note by note.

Any one of the nearly 8,000 Arps found in the MOXF can be applied to your choice of Voice. Of course, certain Voice/Arp combinations wouldn’t be appropriate, making “VoiceWithARP” (page 83 of the MOXF Reference Manual) useful at times.

zpink -

There was a heated debate in another forum where some users were upset with the fact that the Digitone doesn’t send arps when controlling other gear.

I can’t address what the Digitone does or doesn’t do. The MOXF (the Motif family in general) certainly can send Arp data out via MIDI. For Voice mode, there’s a Utility mode switch - see [SF3] ARP CH, MIDIOutSwitch on page 143 of the Reference Manual.

zpink -

The Digitone is very’normal’ and stores the arp with the sound.

Then thankfully the Motif family models aren’t like the ‘normal’ Digitone.  :-)

zpink -

PS. That linked thread made some amusing commuter read! :-)

Language comprehension aside, I thought the thread revealed the problem of syncing a sequence entered via keyboard with the more rigid timing of an Arp.

Arp usage can get complex. An understanding of the Key Modes is important. Most of the information in these support articles will apply to the MOXF:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/arpeggios_explored_part_i

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/velocity_zone_arpeggios_mox6_mox8

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/recording_midi_data_generated_by_an_arp_with_key_mode_sort_direct

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2019 @ 11:12 AM
zpink
Joined  08-02-2014

Hi and as usual, thanks for all the time you’re spending here explaining things.

I’m not a very advanced MoXF user, so in my head, I see the arps saved in the six slots as part of the voice.
When I have a MIDI track in Cubase sending notes to the MoXF, I can change the arps on the board, so in my head it is part of the voice.

I vaguely remember once fiddling around for quite some time and managing to record the arp in Cubase so I could send it to another synth, so I guess that goes against my ‘arp is part of voice’ thinking!

Since this flies way over my head now, I’ll think I’ll leave it to people knowing better! ;-)

What I found amusing in that old thread was partly badmister’s dry humour and how the thread developed into record sales predictions. :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2019 @ 01:47 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
zpink - 08 January 2019 11:12 AM

Hi and as usual, thanks for all the time you’re spending here explaining things.

No problem.

zpink -

I’m not a very advanced MoXF user, so in my head, I see the arps saved in the six slots as part of the voice.
When I have a MIDI track in Cubase sending notes to the MoXF, I can change the arps on the board, so in my head it is part of the voice.

While there can be up to six Arps associated with a Voice, a user can change them as desired. That’s true even for Preset Voices, although of course to store such a change requires taking up a User Voice location.

What I found amusing in that old thread was partly badmister’s dry humour and how the thread developed into record sales predictions. :-)

Well, the OP of that thread did seem to have some elevated expectations. I suppose it doesn’t hurt to dream.  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2019 @ 03:25 PM
zpink
Joined  08-02-2014
5pinDIN - 08 January 2019 01:47 PM

Well, the OP of that thread did seem to have some elevated expectations. I suppose it doesn’t hurt to dream.  :-)

Yep, aim for the stars and land on the moon! :-)

Regarding the arps, I suspect that we’re talking about the same thing. You however, unlike me, using the correct terminology! ;-)

If the OP is happy with the info you’ve given, then there’s no need for you to try to explain it to me. I won’t understand how the arp will be recorded in the internal sequencer, but since I can record the notes and have the arp (one of the 6) active on the voice, it doesn’t matter (to me).
For anything more advanced, I will use Cubase with its chord tracks etc. anyway. :-)

Cheerio

[ Ignore ]