mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Buying a new Mac Book Pro question"

Posted on: December 30, 2018 @ 04:13 AM
Venatt
Total Posts:  744
Joined  07-11-2004

I want to buy a New Mac Book Pro and I was thinking about the 13” with the 2.3GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, but my question is if the i5 is powerful enough to run a DAW, VST or softsynth and samples, or do I nned the i7 ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 30, 2018 @ 09:39 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

An i5 is perfectly fine.

Always buy the most powerful computer that you can afford, so if you can afford the i7, you should.

Apple specs 15 years ago were powerful enough to run DAWs, soft synths and samples.

Nowadays, with today’s specs, you can run many more soft synths simultaneously than you could, and because computers come with more RAM and are able to utilise more RAM, you can certainly run a whole lot more samples with products such as Kontakt, as an example.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 01, 2019 @ 04:43 AM
Venatt
Joined  07-11-2004
philwoodmusic - 30 December 2018 09:39 PM

An i5 is perfectly fine.

Always buy the most powerful computer that you can afford, so if you can afford the i7, you should.

Apple specs 15 years ago were powerful enough to run DAWs, soft synths and samples.

Nowadays, with today’s specs, you can run many more soft synths simultaneously than you could, and because computers come with more RAM and are able to utilise more RAM, you can certainly run a whole lot more samples with products such as Kontakt, as an example.

Thanks

Do you know if buying if macmall.com is a good option to buy ? I believe you don’t pay taxes vs the Apple Store which because I live in Texas I have to pay 8.25% tax.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 01, 2019 @ 09:56 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

I have no experience of Macmall, but their wikipedia entry says this:

“MacMall is an authorized online reseller of Apple products. They buy Apple products in bulk, which allows them to sell them at a volume discount. MacMall is a wholly owned subsidiary of PCM, Inc”

Authorised resellers are fine, and back in the day, before Apple Stores and before the internet, that’s all there was.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 04, 2019 @ 01:34 AM
Venatt
Joined  07-11-2004
philwoodmusic - 01 January 2019 09:56 PM

I have no experience of Macmall, but their wikipedia entry says this:

“MacMall is an authorized online reseller of Apple products. They buy Apple products in bulk, which allows them to sell them at a volume discount. MacMall is a wholly owned subsidiary of PCM, Inc”

Authorised resellers are fine, and back in the day, before Apple Stores and before the internet, that’s all there was.

Hi, thanks

Just have one last question and this is because of my budget: Is the difference between a 2.2GHZ 6-Corei7 and a 2.6GHz 6-Core i7 very substantial ? or is 2.2 powerful enough ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 04, 2019 @ 01:57 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

They are both absolutely fine, and one will be a certain percentage faster than the other doing the same task.

Have a look at a page like https://browser.geekbench.com/mac-benchmarks

You can look them up there and check out their performance scores.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 04, 2019 @ 04:55 PM
Venatt
Joined  07-11-2004

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ About this Forum
Next Topic:

â—„ 2019 â–º ››