mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Downloading midi files"

Posted on: December 07, 2018 @ 05:14 PM
RobinVT
Total Posts:  210
Joined  01-16-2012

I think his has been asked a million times, but I tried downloading a midi file to the XF and when I try to load it to a song bank it says there is no data even though it is stating 4.0 kb.  What am I doing wrong?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 07, 2018 @ 06:16 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

You should be able to load a Type 0 or 1 Standard MIDI File (SMF). See Loading a SMF file on pages 247-248 of the XF Reference Manual for details.

The file should have a “.MID” file extension. Some MIDI files have other extensions, but they won’t work.

What’s the source of the file? Is it something from the net, or is it from a DAW, etc? If from the net, can you provide a link?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 07, 2018 @ 07:49 PM
RobinVT
Joined  01-16-2012

http://www.midiworld.com from the web.  It has the same extension “.mid” file of others I have downloaded, but now I get the same “no data” when I go to load them.

Summer in the City (Lovin Spoonful) - download
I think you fixed this for me once before, but it was a while ago about no data.

Thoughts?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 07, 2018 @ 09:13 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

The first thing I determined is that the file you referred to (at http://www.midiworld.com/files/611/) is about 30kB, not 4kB.

The filename should be “Lovin_Spoonful_-_Summer_in_the_City.mid”. If you’re downloading with a Mac, make sure that the file you’re using isn’t one with “._” (dot underscore) at the beginning of the filename. Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 08, 2018 @ 03:42 PM
RobinVT
Joined  01-16-2012

I will give it a try and let you know.  All the .mid files stored say 4.0kb.  I have a lot of Eagles songs and all of their mid files are 4.0 kb.  I haven’t looked at the file size outside of the Motif, this is what it shows when loading files...all files are same size.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 08, 2018 @ 04:17 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

I have roughly 250 .MID files. There are a couple (literally) of them that are about 4kB - all the rest vary in size from about 10kB to 100kB. It’s unlikely that you have a bunch of .MID files that are all 4kB and that have any MIDI data in them.

The most likely scenario is that you’re using a Mac and have transferred the resource fork files (beginning with ”._”), which are all 4kB. The MIDI data files don’t start with the dot and underscore characters, and will have various file sizes, typically larger than 4kB. If you have all the files in a folder, the ”._” ones will be first - scroll down to find the ones with data.

For the technical explanation, see…
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_fork
...in particular, scroll down to the “Compatibility problems” section of the article.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 08, 2018 @ 07:26 PM
RobinVT
Joined  01-16-2012

Stupid me, I scrolled down further in the XF file and there is another set of the same midi files converted without the ._ in front of it.

Thanks for the help 5pindin.  It has been awhile since I’ve done this and is now coming back to me.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 08, 2018 @ 09:20 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

You’re welcome - I’m glad the situation has been resolved.

Don’t be too hard on yourself. The problem is due to the way Macs handle files versus other computer operating systems. On the Mac, unless you make a specific effort to see the resource forks, they’re not visible. However, when the files are seen by another system, such as Linux which is what the XF runs on, the resource forks become visible and can be confusing.

[ Ignore ]