mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XF 7 sounds are muffled"

Posted on: October 23, 2018 @ 02:58 PM
ggr343
Total Posts:  12
Joined  10-23-2018

In my studio, I have my Motif XF 7 running through a Presonus StudioLive 16 4 2 AI mixer and QSC K-8 speakers.  All of my sounds, particularly piano sounds, are muffled or muddy when played on the keyboard.  However, when I play keys through my Motif XF editor via my PC, the sound is crisp and clean.  I walk over and play keys on Motif and the sound is muffled.  I immediately go to my PC and drag my mouse across the keyboard on the screen and the sound is perfectly clean and clear.  Any suggestions?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 23, 2018 @ 03:24 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Welcome to the forum.

When using the virtual keyboard in the Yamaha Editor, the further to the “back” of the keys (higher on the screen display) you drag the mouse, the higher the key Velocity values the Editor sends. If you’re dragging the mouse so that it plays the black keys as well as the white ones, you’re probably sending high Velocity numbers. At higher key Velocity most of the Voices will sound brighter.

Your key touch may be somewhat on the light side - my own is. I suggest that you do what I’ve done - go into Utility mode and adjust the Velocity Curve.

Press [UTILITY] > [F1](General) > [SF1](Play)
Set Velocity Curve to “soft”.
Press [STORE] to retain the setting.

See the XF Reference Manual (https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/4/323564/motifxf_en_rm_a0.pdf),
(7) Velocity Curve on pages 219-220.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 23, 2018 @ 03:49 PM
ggr343
Joined  10-23-2018

Thanks.  I did get a sharper sound using the soft setting.  Big improvement!!
I’d like to make the piano sounds a tad bit crisper possibly by tweaking the EQs for each voice as opposed to adjusting my Presonus channel EQs.  Currently they are set fairly well for all the other sounds coming from my Motif.  Would you perhaps have an example of typical EQ band settings for say a grand piano that could brighten it up a bit?

Thanks again!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 23, 2018 @ 04:57 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

You’re welcome - I’m glad that improved things. Since piano sound in particular tends to be personal choice, rather than making specific editing recommendations (EQ or otherwise) I’ll refer you to a support article which I think you’ll find helpful:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/learning_to_customize_piano_voices_to_your_playing_style
Although written about the XS, it’s directly applicable to the XF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 23, 2018 @ 05:40 PM
ggr343
Joined  10-23-2018

Thanks 5pinDIN!  You’ve been a great help!

Ggr343

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ screen info
Next Topic:

New Sax Sounds by KEYBOARD WAVES for Motif XF & XS ››