mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "even deeper into it"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: October 02, 2018 @ 02:36 AM
mkeschinger
Total Posts:  73
Joined  10-25-2011

Hi Gang,
Alll of these sounds! :)
I am trying to taylor my board more. Is there an editor or something that I can use on my computer to put voices and patterns into user banks? I had one when I had a Roland where I could load a voice,or series of voices into my machine.
I figure yamaha must have something like that. I am not looking to edit sounds or create custom ones.I can do that on the board easy enough.But, for example the free PSC sounds. Let’s say I wanted to save 15 of them into user bank 3. That’s what I am looking to do.
help....
:)
M

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2018 @ 09:17 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Yamaha has the MOTIF XF Editor Standalone/VST available at no charge for several computer operating systems. You could choose an appropriate version and download it here:
https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/index.html?c=music_production&k=Motif+XF

Or you could get John Melas software:
http://www.jmelas.gr/motif/products.php
The demos can be downloaded for free.

However, once you determine which individual Voice(s) from a library (PSC or otherwise) you want to load to a User bank, that can be done on the XF itself. Is there a reason why you want to use external software?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2018 @ 10:48 AM
mkeschinger
Joined  10-25-2011

Familiarity, ease of use. I can look at it again, but i was under the impression i can fo a full load or 1 at a time on the board. I’m by no means as familiar with it as i could should be. :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2018 @ 01:10 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

The choices using only the XF are to load all banks, one bank, or a single Voice at a time. I personally use either the XF’s built-in capabilities, or the Yamaha Editor. If cost isn’t an issue, then you might find the Melas software to your liking.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2018 @ 06:06 PM
mkeschinger
Joined  10-25-2011

Ok, so not so crazy.:) although, typing was terrible...;)
I will check out the stand alone editor.
Thanks again 5pin!
MK

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2018 @ 06:10 PM
mkeschinger
Joined  10-25-2011

whelp, nevermind. I am on a 2012 mac running 10.10.5. That’s the latest this computer will handle and according to the requirements I am NON compliant with the latest release of the software… :(

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2018 @ 06:30 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
mkeschinger - 02 October 2018 06:10 PM

whelp, nevermind. I am on a 2012 mac running 10.10.5. That’s the latest this computer will handle and according to the requirements I am NON compliant with the latest release of the software… :(

So why would you want to use the latest version?  :-)

Version 1.6.5 covers 10.10/Yosemite, and is available at the link I previously provided. Here’s a direct link to it:
https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/motif_xf_editor_standalone_vst_v165_mac.html

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2018 @ 06:35 PM
mkeschinger
Joined  10-25-2011

Didn’t even see that! Cool. Just downloaded and will check it out tonight after work. :)
Thanks again!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2018 @ 06:46 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
mkeschinger - 02 October 2018 06:35 PM

Didn’t even see that! Cool. Just downloaded and will check it out tonight after work. :)
Thanks again!

You’re welcome. If you have questions about it, I’ll try to help - hopefully my experience with the Windows version will be applicable to the Mac one.

Although this support article is based on version 1.6.2, it should still be applicable to 1.6.5 to a significant degree:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/motif_xf_editor_standalone_usb_mac

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 03, 2018 @ 06:43 PM
mkeschinger
Joined  10-25-2011

Cool. Took a quick gander at it last night. Had dog stuff to take care of when I got home. Yes, that… ;)
I saw the voice and pattern editing area, and such, but I didn’t see where I can edit the library. Ie- download or remove sound from the motif itself.
I am sure i just missed it.  Can you throw an arrow towards it? :)

MK

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 03, 2018 @ 09:44 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

First things first.  :-)

Did you do the Setup? That is, FW or USB selection, MIDI-In MIDI-Out port settings, Auto Sync settings? In the version I’m using, Setup is selected under the “File” menu.

The XF should be on while setting up. There’s a manual accessible via the “Help” menu, although it’s typical Yamaha, unfortunately. If you’re using the Editor standalone, ignore the information specific to VST and Cubase.

Port Settings will depend on whether you’re using FW or USB. The support article I linked to shows the proper USB settings.

Auto Sync direction should be MOTIF XF > PC. Global, Current, and Voice have on/off settings - for your purposes at least Voice should be On. I also have Current On. I have Auto Start turned Off.

Don’t be concerned with the General settings - the defaults will probably be fine.

Click OK at the bottom of the Setup screen once things are set. Then click OFFLINE near the top of the main screen. If you have Auto Start turned Off, click Start and synchronization should begin.

If synchronization completes without any error messages, and OFFLINE changes to ONLINE, try using your mouse on the virtual keyboard at the bottom of the screen - it should play the XF.

If you have any problems/questions concerning the above, let us know if you’re using FW or USB, and at what point you’ve run into difficulty. It shouldn’t be hard to get things working. Once the Editor and XF are talking to each other, I’ll explain the rest, which is fairly straightforward.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 05, 2018 @ 07:39 PM
mkeschinger
Joined  10-25-2011

I forgot to respond here- when I do the setup- it will be usb. I don’t have the firewire card installed. :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 05, 2018 @ 08:10 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
mkeschinger - 05 October 2018 07:39 PM

I forgot to respond here- when I do the setup- it will be usb. I don’t have the firewire card installed. :)

OK, the support article shows the port settings. Other settings as in my previous post should work correctly. Hopefully you’ll get to the point where the mouse can play the XF via the virtual keyboard in the Editor. Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 07, 2018 @ 11:05 PM
mkeschinger
Joined  10-25-2011

ok, all set up. Is there a sort of library editor where I can put sounds in different user banks, or to flash, etc?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 08, 2018 @ 10:14 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
mkeschinger - 07 October 2018 11:05 PM

ok, all set up.

Good.

mkeschinger -

Is there a sort of library editor where I can put sounds in different user banks, or to flash, etc?

The Editor will allow you to move Voices from a file (such as the PSC you originally mentioned) directly to a User Bank in your XF.

I suggest that you begin by saving an “All” file, so that if anything doesn’t go as planned you can restore what you previously had.

The following is based on the Windows version of the Editor I have installed. Hopefully it will be directly applicable to the Mac one…
1) Under the “File” menu, click on “Import...”. A new screen should open, split into left and right areas. The area on the right should list the User Banks currently stored in your XF. You can click on a Bank name, such as “Normal User 3”, to expand the contents. (A second click will collapse that listing.)
2) Click on the file selection button (folder symbol) at the top of the screen. A file selection window should open.
3) Select the folder where the desired file is located, the file Type (X3A, X3V, etc.), and then the specific file. Once selected, “File Name” at the top of the screen should show it, and the left side of the screen should display either Categories or Banks in that file - you can choose which by clicking on the “Category” or “Bank” terms at the top of the screen.
4) Click on a Category or Bank on the left to expand it.
5) Click on one of the expanded choices on the left, then click on a destination location for it in the XF on the right.
6) Click “Import” at the top of the screen, and the chosen Voice from the file will be be loaded to the XF location you chose.

You can also just “drag and drop” with the mouse to move a Voice from the left (file) to the right (XF).

The following may not be obvious…
Multiple Voices can be moved at once. Use whatever technique your computer supports to highlight several Voices from the source file on the left. (For Windows, that involves holding the Shift or Ctrl keys during selection, for a Mac Shift or Command.) Those choices can then be imported to the XF - they will transfer, in order, starting at the location you choose on the right. For example, if five Voices are selected on the left, and B10 is selected (highlighted) on the right, those five Voices will replace B10-B14 in the XF when “Import” is clicked.

Just reading the above might make the procedure seem complex, but it’s really not. After doing it once or twice, it should become fairly easy.

If something goes slightly awry, you can correct things by Importing from the “All” file you previously saved. If things go substantially wrong, just load that file to the XF.

By the way, if you haven’t already decided which Voices from a library you want to move to the XF, this support article (written for the XS, applicable to the XF) describes a technique to audition Voices without loading them to User locations:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/motif_xs_editor_auditioning_voices_from_files
Note that the direction PC > MOTIF is used - don’t forget to change it back to MOTIF > PC when doing the topic of this thread.

As always, if something isn’t clear, just ask.

EDIT: I presumed that you’d be starting the above steps with the Editor already ONLINE. If starting “cold”, the initial step would be to synchronize the XF and Editor by clicking OFFLINE, so that it becomes ONLINE. Then proceed with the steps above.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 10, 2018 @ 12:23 PM
mkeschinger
Joined  10-25-2011

Sweet. Just copied 1 voice over to a user bank. I will try the auditioning part next. I will ask though. 1 sound transferred in name only. The sx700 from the inspired line didnt play after syncing. Thoughts?
THANKS!

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Flash Board issue
Next Topic:

Question about Cubase for Motif XF ››