mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "XS8 Saving A setup"

Posted on: September 22, 2018 @ 10:05 PM
oldkeys
Total Posts:  76
Joined  12-05-2010

I always failed to figure out how to save an exact setup.
EG For youtube sessions I need to save the exact state of the XS8 so I can recall it later exactly without having to fight level and sound quality issues.

Can someone just point me in the correct6 direction, if in fact the state of the XS8 can be saved exactly from mastervolume to effect setting.
Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 23, 2018 @ 12:16 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

If by “mastervolume” you’re referring to the slider on the top panel, then no. It’s strictly a manual analog control.

Otherwise, if you’re changing settings between sessions, save an “All” file. It will include the Utility mode system settings, etc., and reloading that file will restore them.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 23, 2018 @ 03:04 PM
oldkeys
Joined  12-05-2010

Thank you for the response 5pinDin.
Unfortunately output levels are crucial. Since you settled that the slider volume cannot be saved, is it possible to configure alternative outputs that will not use the slider. There are assignable output jacks. Can these be configured to have internal output volume independent from the slider and software configurable with the effect that the slider is disabled ?

The manual just dont make sense to me regarding what to do with the Assignable Output. Seemingly can only be used to output input signals from elsewhere.

It would be great if the assignable output would have all parameters in software so they could be saved and at the same time outputs the keyboard signal independent from the volume slider.
I cannot seem to find any way to do this.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 23, 2018 @ 08:35 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
oldkeys - 23 September 2018 03:04 PM

Thank you for the response 5pinDin.

You’re welcome.

oldkeys -

Unfortunately output levels are crucial. Since you settled that the slider volume cannot be saved,

If you save an “All” file of a setup, why not include in the naming of that file an indication of the MASTER VOLUME slider position. There are 16 volume level marks (plus one all the way down) on the top panel. So, for example, you could name a file “MyFileV9-5” to indicate that the slider had been set at 9.5 divisions up. Since there are no numbers on the panel, a paper label could be adhered and numbered to make resetting easier.

oldkeys -

is it possible to configure alternative outputs that will not use the slider. There are assignable output jacks. Can these be configured to have internal output volume independent from the slider and software configurable with the effect that the slider is disabled ?

The manual just dont make sense to me regarding what to do with the Assignable Output. Seemingly can only be used to output input signals from elsewhere.

It would be great if the assignable output would have all parameters in software so they could be saved and at the same time outputs the keyboard signal independent from the volume slider.
I cannot seem to find any way to do this.

Any Part of a Performance or Song/Pattern Mixing can be assigned to the ASSIGNABLE OUTPUTs. Such a Part is then not available at the main L/MONO and R outputs, and isn’t affected by the MASTER VOLUME slider. However, that Part also bypasses System Effects (chorus and reverb) and Master Effects, although Insert Effects can still be applied.

See Output settings - [SF2] Output on pages 152-153 of the XS Owner’s Manual, especially (4) Output Select, and [SF2] Output on page 235.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 23, 2018 @ 11:05 PM
oldkeys
Joined  12-05-2010

If you save an “All” file of a setup, why not include in the naming of that file an indication of the MASTER VOLUME slider position. There are 16 volume level marks (plus one all the way down) on the top panel. So, for example, you could name a file “MyFileV9-5” to indicate that the slider had been set at 9.5 divisions up. Since there are no numbers on the panel, a paper label could be adhered and numbered to make resetting easier.

Just a quick answer, I will work through everything else you posted in detail.

The setting on the Master Volume is not fine enough, period. I have to dial in and test before every session if I changed it which is cumbersome and impractical. It just have to be digital.

Also if you dont mind a quick comment
You wrote
“ Any Part of a Performance or Song/Pattern Mixing can be assigned to the ASSIGNABLE OUTPUTs. Such a Part is then not available at the main L/MONO and R outputs, and isn’t affected by the MASTER VOLUME slider. However, that Part also bypasses System Effects (chorus and reverb) and Master Effects, although Insert Effects can still be applied.

See Output settings - [SF2] Output on pages 152-153 of the XS Owner’s Manual, especially (4) Output Select, and [SF2] Output on page 235.

I would never have figured this possible reading the manual, but it seems it will do what I want. ALL I want to use with the piano is just a bit of Reverb.

Questions
1) Am I right to assume that I can add reverb as detailed on P152 and then blend it with the raw signal on both assigned outputs or will all this be monaural ?
2) Is it then possible to save that setup to a new patch I can e.g. call “skype” or such and it will keep the voices used and the reverb level and output volume ?
I cant figure out how to save these changes into a patch.

Apologies for asking such elementary questions, but the manual is a beast to interpret.

A while ago I bought a Motif instructional DVD but it was so low quality and no help, so the manual is the source, but it is difficult to figure out what is really meant.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 24, 2018 @ 09:36 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
oldkeys - 23 September 2018 11:05 PM

1) Am I right to assume that I can add reverb as detailed on P152 and then blend it with the raw signal on both assigned outputs or will all this be monaural ?

You will find that Reverb Send and Chorus Send are unavailable when Output Select is set to anything but L&R;.

oldkeys -

2) Is it then possible to save that setup to a new patch I can e.g. call “skype” or such and it will keep the voices used and the reverb level and output volume ?
I cant figure out how to save these changes into a patch.

I suggest that you use a Song or Pattern Mixing. From Mixing Edit, select the Voice you want to use for a Part. Then assign the Part to asL&R;(see previous manual page references). [EXIT] Edit mode to Mixing Play mode (see pages 231-232). Using [F6] Vce Edit (see (14)) > [F6]Effect > [SF3]Ins B, set Insert B Type to “Thru”. Then select [SF2]Ins A and while monitoring the Assignable Outputs select the Reverb you want for the Part and adjust its Parameters as desired. When satisfied, [STORE] the Mix Voice. Then [STORE] the Mixing.

Of course, you should adjust Volume levels and Name the Mixing as desired, and store any changes.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 24, 2018 @ 02:16 PM
oldkeys
Joined  12-05-2010

Thanks a lot it is a lot to chew on, I will report back. It is quite involved.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 24, 2018 @ 10:58 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
oldkeys - 24 September 2018 02:16 PM

Thanks a lot

No problem.

oldkeys -

it is a lot to chew on, I will report back. It is quite involved.

It might seem complicated, but it’s not. Note that, as I mentioned previously, for Parts going to the Assignable Output you’ll be dealing with Insertion Effects. The hardest part might be deciding which and how much (dry/wet balance) Insert Effect reverb to use. See Effect structure on page 68 of the Owner’s Manual.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2018 @ 09:07 AM
jochner
Total Posts:  29
Joined  12-19-2010
oldkeys - 22 September 2018 10:05 PM

I always failed to figure out how to save an exact setup.
EG For youtube sessions I need to save the exact state of the XS8 so I can recall it later exactly without having to fight level and sound quality issues.

Can someone just point me in the correct6 direction, if in fact the state of the XS8 can be saved exactly from mastervolume to effect setting.
Thanks

You can easily use masking tape ( similar that sound engineers use) o the best of all brick wall limiter!)))

Image Attachments
13659150_1393719073978166_5268444321740160241_n.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Classical Pedals: Mute Sostenuto Sustain
Next Topic:

Oberheim Patches for XS8 ››